Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

World Grading turn around times?

Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 31, 2022 12:05AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I just sent a new submission in, curious if anyone has had any recent experience they could share?

Website currently lists US Regular Service at 60 (!) business days, but World Regular is 40 days. Strange to me, but World Economy is only 30 days?

I'll put together a post on my pending submission when I get a chance. Thanks in advance

My current "Box of 20"

«13

Comments

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My “Express” submission was sent in and arrived before Christmas. One group scanned in 12/22, another 12/27. The 12/22 is now in Encapsulation which the other is still in Grading.

    Painfully slower than expectations or the 15 days notes on the website.

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    On my two previous submissions, last DEC.2021 took 12 business days, on one that I have now, still it is on the estimate/range time just three days more from the 15 days they have for the 'express' service, that it is still in 'grading' phase.

  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2022 9:44AM

    I got my World Economy submission back 2 weeks ago that was received on 10/8/2021. That was a 3 month turnaround time. My world regular submission was about 2 weeks faster, at about 2.5 months.

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, this is a bit of an outlier, but I have coins still there (in QA now) that have mostly been at PCGS since March 2021. They returned to me for a brief period in July 2021 and went back due to the weather. I think they are staying at PCGS until the weather here in the East improves.

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:
    Well, this is a bit of an outlier, but I have coins still there (in QA now) that have mostly been at PCGS since March 2021. They returned to me for a brief period in July 2021 and went back due to the weather. I think they are staying at PCGS until the weather here in the East improves.

    March 2021??

  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Turn-around times are horrible.

  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ten weeks and counting for me and still one of the coins not even given tentative ID.

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    ^Anyone got the email from PCGS about the turn around times and why that happens, too bad I deleted that mail. It was from some few days ago.

  • atomatom Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2022 5:31PM

    @ELuis said:
    ^Anyone got the email from PCGS about the turn around times and why that happens, too bad I deleted that mail. It was from some few days ago.

    From 1/14/2022:
    "An Important Update from PCGS

    Over the past year, we have witnessed an unprecedented surge in demand and are working to return submissions as quickly as possible. We are continuously increasing the size of our team and headquarters to help accommodate the needs of customers as well as to handle a tremendous increase in orders over recent months.

    Despite our efforts to meet this outstanding demand, we are seeing impacted turnaround times due to the ever-evolving challenges of the pandemic. We have made many improvements and innovations to keep our team members safe while providing the same level of quality that our customers know and love.

    Please know we appreciate your patience and continued support during these unusual times. You can conveniently track your order on the PCGS My Account portal via Find My Package to confirm delivery and click on My Orders to view where your submission is in the process. We also invite you to ask any questions or share feedback with us on how we can continue improving our service.

    We care and we are listening!

    Sincerely,

    The PCGS Team"

    I am also waiting now two months on world economy service still in 'Received' status....

  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas - you'll have to explain your experience a bit more. Did the coins come back to you but have some error that required re-grading or re-labelling?

    Well, yikes, I was hoping the backlog was getting better.

    My submission has been picked up from post-office, but is not yet logged in. I'll update as the order moves through the system.

    My current "Box of 20"

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bob13 said:
    @pruebas - you'll have to explain your experience a bit more. Did the coins come back to you but have some error that required re-grading or re-labelling?

    Well, yikes, I was hoping the backlog was getting better.

    My submission has been picked up from post-office, but is not yet logged in. I'll update as the order moves through the system.

    Yes, the attributions were all wrong. Why doesn't PCGS at least listen to what people write on the submission forms? We do know a little something about what we submit....

    So they do things their own way, get it wrong, and return them to me, incorrect. I send them back for correction and have to wait 6 months (as of today) for a correction. It is totally inefficient and wasteful of everyone's time.

    To PCGS credit, they do open packages right away and log in the coins, unlike ATS. This removes doubt about quantities of coins and service levels right away.

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2022 2:10PM

    And additional color. I have another submission that was attributed incorrectly. I sent them back, and the correction was very fast. But wrong again. Even worse than before! I am not sending things back for fixing until things improve.

  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    @Bob13 said:
    @pruebas - you'll have to explain your experience a bit more. Did the coins come back to you but have some error that required re-grading or re-labelling?

    Well, yikes, I was hoping the backlog was getting better.

    My submission has been picked up from post-office, but is not yet logged in. I'll update as the order moves through the system.

    Yes, the attributions were all wrong. Why doesn't PCGS at least listen to what people write on the submission forms? We do know a little something about what we submit....

    So they do things their own way, get it wrong, and return them to me, incorrect. I send them back for correction and have to wait 6 months (as of today) for a correction. It is totally inefficient and wasteful of everyone's time.

    To PCGS credit, they do open packages right away and log in the coins, unlike ATS. This removes doubt about quantities of coins and service levels right away.

    I had a coin in my last order that I think they attributed incorrectly. But who am I to argue with them? I'm just selling it as they attributed it and am moving on. Their attribution makes it equal or more valuable anyway. If it was a more "important" coin, then I'd be more upset.

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

    For me, I collect patterns, trials, and other oddities. I pretty much know what I have. And if I don't, I don't expect PCGS to know more than I do. To me, the attribution is more important than the grade since the coins are so rare.

  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas, agree 100%. Just had a similar experience with a trial.

    Owner of the Uncommon Cents collections.



    http://www.victoriancent.com
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

    maybe maybe hire more people with the money they are making 😊

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bidask said:
    maybe maybe hire more people with the money they are making 😊

    Zero demand elasticity at this point.

  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I shipped the coins via registered mail on Friday, the arrived and were available for pickup on Monday (I live in SoCal). The coins were picked up 7AM Tuesday morning.

    (I should have also mentioned that the online submission forms seemed simpler than in the past to fill out.)

    I looked Tuesday afternoon and I had no order in the system, but I could find my package as having arrived as PCGS using the "Find my Package" feature.

    Today, Wednesday, I got an email from PCGS saying my order had arrived!

    So far so good. Maybe they are improving things....

    My current "Box of 20"

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    In my order (express service), it is now on the 21th business day, and still is in 'Grading' phase, if i divide the average cost per each of the coins that it is 73USD, 73/21=3.5USD rounded a day per coin, guess that still for them the high volume of orders it is where can make money, wonder if there are some phases that are somehow automated using some software to scan or something to evaluate the grades, guess not.

  • goldengolden Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I sent in 20 in mid- December. Nothing yet.

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I send in couple orders this month and it was received in 1/15. I just mailed another couple orders yesterday. Sounds like going to be couple months long wait time.

  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I overall like their service as far as DELIVERED quality but as a specialist along the lines of Pruebas wish they would view the documentation sent in with orders by me frequently. I sent in one order of 4 major types of 1866 3d GB and three attempts and a year later came back all wrong in many different and important ways despite [what may have been too much] documentation. Also, some pieces are so specialized that it may not be fair to expect specific and correct attribution; interestingly in my area I managed the Krause cataloguing for about 15 years.

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PCGS just updated the time. Looks like it takes even longer. Modern now is 50 days for both US and world

  • MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

    My US modern package was received on November 19th and is currently in “grading.” It has been in “grading” for a good while now. My World collectors club member submission was received on January 20th and is sitting in the “received” category. I don’t know how long it will take but I understand that things are crazy and a lot of things are out of people’s control now with the Vid, so, patience is the word of the day. However, It would be nice to get my 2021 Morgans back before they sell the 2022s.😂🤣😂🤣

  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I know - I saw that... sigh. Regular also went up to 50 days.

    My current "Box of 20"

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This is as bad as I can recall but still no where near as backlogged as NGC which I’d guess is less about demand and more about staffing

  • atomatom Posts: 357 ✭✭✭

    My order submission received 11/30/2021 just advanced to "Grading Process"

    Reminds me of:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=7GBTIeR4Z_M

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    I never been in any of the expo shows, I see this offer: "On-Site Grading Special..." what that means? you get the graded coins expedite on the same day?

    On my submission for an express service is on the 6th week now (in encapsulation phase) and counting...

  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2022 6:21AM

    Yes, they grade on site. There was a bump in the plan at the FUN show though. They held back on site grading due to Covid and offered free return shipping. The grades were supposed to be available by the end of the show but mine weren't ready until I think the following Wednesday. With the handling fees it cost me $150 for 1 coin.

    @ELuis said:
    I never been in any of the expo shows, I see this offer: "On-Site Grading Special..." what that means? you get the graded coins expedite on the same day?

    On my submission for an express service is on the 6th week now (in encapsulation phase) and counting...

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    @amwldcoin said:
    Yes, they grade on site. There was a bump in the plan at the FUN show though. They held back on site grading due to Covid and offered free return shipping. The grades were supposed to be available by the end of the show but mine weren't ready until I think the following Wednesday. With the handling fees it cost me $150 for 1 coin.

    If I paid 73 per coin already, looks like the double might not be bad, I know in a case one wants the coins ready much faster. Will give it a try on any of the future shows.

    Great, thanks!

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I just submitted a walk through. It moved to grading right away after it received but just don't how many days it will ship out.

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PCGS graded 330,642 coins in the last 30 days. That's lots of coins.

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    The status now is on QA after 6 weeks, I can see now the grades (for me not what I was expecting at all, and guess a waste of money on my end):

    Those two coins that came up as 'Cleaned' and the lower grades on the other ones no good.

  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ELuis - Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than waiting for a long time and then getting disappointing grades.

    My initial excitement that my order was log in quickly has faded. Still sitting as "Received" after 2 weeks (10 business days).

    My current "Box of 20"

  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ELuis said:
    The status now is on QA after 6 weeks, I can see now the grades (for me not what I was expecting at all, and guess a waste of money on my end):

    Those two coins that came up as 'Cleaned' and the lower grades on the other ones no good.

    Ouch. What was your hope for the order?

  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Excellent, my order of 10 was over 10 weeks ago and not even progressed to grading.

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ELuis said:
    The status now is on QA after 6 weeks, I can see now the grades (for me not what I was expecting at all, and guess a waste of money on my end):

    Those two coins that came up as 'Cleaned' and the lower grades on the other ones no good.

    An AU 4R is not a bad coin….

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    @TwoKopeiki said:

    @ELuis said:
    The status now is on QA after 6 weeks, I can see now the grades (for me not what I was expecting at all, and guess a waste of money on my end):

    Those two coins that came up as 'Cleaned' and the lower grades on the other ones no good.

    Ouch. What was your hope for the order?

    To be honest, was thinking in between AU58 & MS60 most of them and I know I am not an expert a lot to learn for sure (the 8R that was described as AU came up better than that).

    For example when I bought the 1845 4R it was avail with this description (and was not cheap):

    EF-AU, lovely grade and scarce in this quality. Slight toning.

    The 1833 1/2R:

    AU. The “round top 3” variety. ex- Len Novotny

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    @Bob13 said:
    @ELuis - Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than waiting for a long time and then getting disappointing grades.

    My initial excitement that my order was log in quickly has faded. Still sitting as "Received" after 2 weeks (10 business days).

    Thanks, wow, is this Express or any other service?

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ELuis said:
    The status now is on QA after 6 weeks, I can see now the grades (for me not what I was expecting at all, and guess a waste of money on my end):

    Those two coins that came up as 'Cleaned' and the lower grades on the other ones no good.

    By the way, it’s not a waste of money. It’s called “tuition.”

    Besides, now that they are slabbed, it will be easier to sell them. 😉

  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's disappointing, but if you share images of the submission perhaps we can all learn together.

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    @TwoKopeiki said:
    It's disappointing, but if you share images of the submission perhaps we can all learn together.

    Will post them once avail, still no images yet... And btw I used on the 'Genuine Option' Do Not Holder Genuine.

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Buying raw coin is risky unless you are good at grading.

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 7:26PM

    I believe if your submission stay at received for a long time is because PCGS has a hard time or needs time to identify the coins.

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

    modern usually moved out of received stage very fast because it is very easy to identify modern coins.

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    Posting some more info (while waiting for the images to show up or be avail).

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

    not bad. Looks like those are pretty scarce, not many graded.

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

    @jt88 said:
    not bad. Looks like those are pretty scarce, not many graded.

    Indeed, did not knew that, btw, and yes no bad all after all the wait. Thanks!

  • Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Received 12/7 just moved into encapsulation.

  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Herb_T said:
    Received 12/7 just moved into encapsulation.

    Regular service tier?

Sign In or Register to comment.