Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My completed Dansco 7070 Type Album (Updated 8/5/22)

PCGSPhotoPCGSPhoto Posts: 768 mod
edited August 6, 2022 12:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

About a decade ago I started and then gave up on making a Dansco 7070 Type album. Giving up on that album was one of my greatest numismatic regrets. Luckily, it’s easy to start one up again. However, I felt a need to produce a completed album rather quickly, counter to the advice I’ve been giving to assemble this set slowly. Why? Well, I abhor having an unfinished project around for one. But a part of me felt a sense urgency. It had to be now or never - well, that’s being dramatic I suppose. Now or a long time from now.

I’ll get into the reason for the time limit later.

I started this set in July with the intention of picking out some nice, well-circulated coins. I’ve experienced the finest coins out there as you can imagine, but I have an appreciation for the circulated stuff. They’ve truly lived the history of this country, and have a million stories to tell. While I do have a lot of circulated coins in this album, what developed was in reality a selection of keepsakes to commemorate relationships with people, and the milestones of my time in this country.

On to the pages. These are of significant resolution as to allow you to zoom in quite closely to each individual coin. I’ll point out some highlights and some rationale along the way.

The first coin that’s pretty special to me is the counterstamped half cent. Over a century ago someone stamped P and K into the coin. I’m not sure of their reason, but I do know that these are the initials of myself and my dear wife.

The 1802 Cent is an ex PCGS F12. I wanted a nicer example and this seemed quite lovely. The 1812 cent is an ex PCGS AG3 acquired from a forum member.

On that note, I’ve been a part of this forum for 20 years now. Time flies. Many of these coins have been from forums members, particularly @lordmarcovan. Take a look at that 1864 cent I snapped from him. Nailed what I was looking for. Many coins also come from the new generation of numismatists I’ve gotten to known on Instagram.

That lowly Memorial cent is one for me - my birth year.

I’ve never been a huge fan of half dimes… or shield nickels… or liberty nickels for that matter. But I love Buffalo Nickels. They may be my favorite US type, so nicer examples are shown here. The 1940 nickel is special, it’s the year my paternal grandma and grandpa were married.

Some of these coins are just basically of melt value. But that’s fine! Part of the fun of this album has been including some very inexpensive pieces. For example the worn Roosevelt dime is special because that’s the year my dad was born.

The 2005 dime in significant because that was the year I came to this country with just a couple of suitcases. On that subject, the 1849 cent from the previous page was a nod to those ‘49ers who came to find success in California.

Page 3 was a lot of fun. For the capped bust quarter I found another counterstamped piece that advertises L. BALLOU, a Syracuse NY silversmith. Kind of a rare stamp as well.

The arrows and rays reverse type is another one of my favorites, and I found a very nice contrasty piece that shows off those rays. That’s why it’s reverse-up in the album.

But, to be honest, there’s way too much Seated Liberty type in this album. So, I changed things up for the last seated quarter: A Hawaiian territorial quarter. It’s a US coin (sorta) and it has a motto (a Hawaiian motto) and it fits the time period for this hole in the album. My wife and I have spent a few weeks in the islands, so I felt this was a much more interesting and special substitution for me.

The Barber is actually a 1914-S, so a more harder to find date, and one of the pricier pieces in the set. But that “circ-cam” was irresistible.

There’s another ’53 here in honor of my dad. The clad quarter is a placeholder until I can get the Sally Ride quarter with the new obverse. Ever since I was little I was in awe of the US Space program, so I’m looking forward to having that as an addition.

A lot of these type coins come from a local dealer in Orange CA, Bob Patchin’s Coin Galleries. Lots of circulated type to choose from. In fact FIVE of the six halfs here come from that shop (except the 1838).

Page 4 starts off with a nicely worn 1916 Walker, followed by a nicely worn 1949 Franklin. I don’t know how many Franklins I looked at before I found this one, which had the look I wanted. It had to be that date because that’s the year my mom was born. The ’68 half is in honor of the birth of my brother. Technically he’s my half brother through my mom (just so there’s no confusion or questions if you recall my father’s birthdate).

The commems, as you can see, are some California classics. I found a nice looking circulated Diamond Jubilee, and the San Diego and Bay Bridge types are easy to find (the Bay Bridge is an ex PCGS 64). I like the optimistic reverse of the Washington Carver type, and I thought having a coin with the map of the US fitting as well.

The extremely crusty Seated Dollar once again came from the local shop, and the chop marked trade (something I really wanted for this set) came from @OriginalDan.

I picked a worn 1885-S Morgan because I watched the Back to the Future trilogy a lot when I was a kid and wanted an 1885 California piece because that’s where the third movie was set.

The Ike is important because that’s the date when my folks were married.

But what’s the deal with that 2006 silver dollar in place of the Seated Dollar (Motto)? Well, that brings me to the point of me racing through this album. My wife and I decided to start planning to have a family when I began this album. I knew at a certain point my commitment to the coin album would be distracted, and my interest would drop off. This turned out to be 100% true. My last vintage piece was for the Seated Liberty Dollar with Motto. I had been searching for a nice piece to fill this hole for a few weeks, but then a couple of weeks ago the day came for the first ultrasound.

EDIT: I replaced the 2006 dollar. It being so modern kind of bugged me a bit. I wanted something of the era, but didn't want to dish out for a with-motto Seated Dollar. So I refilled the hole with Barber's 1976 Centennial medal.

Seeing our new baby in the womb was an incredible experience. I had tears in my eyes. I’m going to be a father. So, I very suddenly forgot about the Seated Dollar, I already had one anyway, and thought this would be a good replacement. It’s a nod to an even earlier type, and the year date is when I first met my wife (though I started dating her a year later). This was good enough for me - the time had come to wrap this thing up.

Page 5 is modern stuff, but they still have mean something for me. I used those Bicentennial half and Dollar pieces for a couple of PCGS Instagram posts I made for the 2018 ANA Show. I juxtaposed holding these coins next to the real life landmarks.

The SBA is my sister’s year date. I know the Yosemite coin is NOT a State Quarter, but it’s close enough. I’ve been to Yosemite, and 2010 is the year we married, so I thought it a good substitution. The dollar is my wife’s year date, and it commemorates the ’84 Olympics. It’s also one of my favorite eagles on US coins, and of course I’ve been to Los Angeles many times in my years here.

That leaves us one more hole. The Silver Eagle. Of course it has to be a proof, and a 2022 at that. But those are not due until the summer, which is also when our new baby is due. Happily, I have more important things to take care of now.

Thanks for reading!

Phil

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the soon to arrive addition to your family! I am sure you will find the perfect 2022 Eagle for that place. Neat story you have wrapped up in your 7070. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set. In particular, your Walking Liberty half and your Peace dollar.
    It is also a pleasure to see a set withOUT a Columbian as one of the four commemoratives!

peacockcoins

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the new addition! Enjoy the journey.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Delightful to see your presentation!!!!! The reasoning for date selection is so nice, and good luck with the new fatherhood!!!!!

Drunner

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome post, album and story!

Any thoughts about getting the gold page for the 7070?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really glad that I get to see your whole set, Phil, and glad I got to be able to contribute some of pieces!

Also congratulations on the addition to your family!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your new addition! :) That is a beautifully matched set, great job!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really well done and I enjoyed the vicarious read. Thank you.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2022 12:23PM

Love your type Album. Beautiful individuals for that certain year/type. You took the time and money to fulfill to your satisfaction, as well as, to the personal viewer who checks out your collection. It must of been a very miticulous task? Very good effort. Congratulations.
    In not only your feat of the near competition of the album but Congratulations to you and your family's new addition.
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing, dude! -Joey
    B)<3B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!!! I’ve really enjoyed following your progress in building the album (both here and on IG), and now I understand the reason for your urgency…and what a wonderful reason indeed!

Very cool to hear the stories behind these coins, in addition to admiring their beauty. Thank you for sharing!

Soon enough you’ll be helping your child to fill their own album, which, speaking from personal experience, is tremendously satisfying in a whole other way!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done and congratulations!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!!
    Great job.
    Congratulations

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

I've thought about it, and it would be awesome to do it and have it complete, but it's not something I can tackle right now. Maybe in a few years!

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

I've thought about it, and it would be awesome to do it and have it complete, but it's not something I can tackle right now. Maybe in a few years!

You're going to need more spaces for newer dated coins in a couple years. ;) Once you start collecting there is no reason to stop at just one. :D

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your set.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the the upcoming new addition to your family! I love the unique way you chose to assemble your 7070 album. The pieces are all very attractive, irrespective of grade, and your substitutions are interesting and thoughtful. Finally, I like the idea of choosing dates of personal significance. Thanks for sharing it!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto....Congratulations,... and I will say, that is an AWESOME set the way you put it together, it represents your family.... What an incredible idea and achievement. You have now established a family heirloom to be passed down through generations... with suitable additions. Be sure you put notes with your set so future generations understand the significance of all the dates. I know, just print a copy of your post and keep it with the album. Super idea and collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Be sure you put notes with your set so future generations understand the significance of all the dates. I know, just print a copy of your post and keep it with the album. Super idea and collection. Cheers, RickO"
    Great idea @ricko on how to pass on some history with this nice 7070 set.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

CONGRATS !!! The Hawaiian quarter & the Seated Dollar are my favorites... Very nice !!!

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil, congratulations to you and your wife! Perfect timing as you say and will always be something to bring out and show your child many times while growing up.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking good and congratulations.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your new addition to your family. I wish you all a healthy and happy 2022. Don't worry about the ASE, it will come and if you wait it will probably be cheaper than at issue. Love the 7070's, I have built 2 and am working on a 3rd, just for fun, but not with quite the zest I had for the first two and with not quite the grade requirements.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

That lowly Memorial cent is one for me

At first you had me questioning some of my life decisions here. But then I realized you actually like that lowly Lincoln. You know you do, otherwise you wouldn't have picked it for your birth year. LOL

Congratulations on the baby :)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking album and congrats on the addition to your family -

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing post and congratulations Phil!

It will be wonderful to get a birth year coin for the ASE. It will be a wonderful way to share the hobby over the years!

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great timing on "mostly complete" before other priorities take over. Congrats to you & the Missus.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the munchkin

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

This gave me great ideas for my newly started type set. I really enjoyed reading your post thanks so much!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 11:52PM

@PCGSPhoto said:
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. We're very excited to be parents for the first time. I've started getting the nursery ready this weekend.

@braddick said:
    Beautiful set. In particular, your Walking Liberty half and your Peace dollar.
    It is also a pleasure to see a set withOUT a Columbian as one of the four commemoratives!

Yes, that Columbian is pretty common in these albums from what I've seen. Glad I could change things up a bit.

The Walker is one of my favorites in the album. The early Walkers just have a different vibe to them.

The Peace is kind of beaten up a bit, and has some rim dings. I was trying to find a nicely worn Peace that WASN'T a 1921, but this was kind of a difficult task. What I did find was something with a lot of character.

Hi, Phil!

Perfect looking circs on both of those, if you ask me. I also like that the Walker is early and that the Peace dollar isn't just another 1922 or 1923. I love looking at a 7070 set- it's so much more interesting to me than the sameness of a traditional date-and-mint set. I saw a few familiar pieces there, notably the 1864 cent. Though its place in the album makes my OCD tendencies twitch a tad, I love the Hawaii quarter. That Seated buck is nice, too.

Oh, hey- congratulations, Daddy-O! Your life is fixin' to change, bigtime! And for the better, I'm sure. Ladymarcovan and I became empty-nesters last year, though we still have more than a dozen four-legged, furry "children" in our household.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to you and your wife Phil!
    Your 7070 sure is fun to look at and the presentation, wow. What a great way to share your album with the forum.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome... and Congrats!! The 7070 is quite the undertaking!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long did you spend straightening for the photos? ;)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the album and the impending fatherhood. Have you told your wife that the baby's name is going to have to be Motto?

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Congrats on the album and the impending fatherhood. Have you told your wife that the baby's name is going to have to be Motto?

And when the child misbehaves, "No, Motto!"

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations and all the very best to you and your spouse.
    Took quite a long time for me to come back into the hobby again and had to wait till after the kids were all grown up and then complete the Dansco 7070 which was one of the bucket list items.
    Acquiring the gold page and completing it however was a bit tricky.
    Take care and good luck.

• Options

@messydesk said:

I suggested the name Feuchtwanger, but my wife said no.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I'm a little late to the game for viewing your type set. I recently arrived here.

I can see the effort you but into this set. It has a very consistent, classic look to it. Beautiful job! 👍🏻 👍🏻

A great family heirloom and legacy set to pass to your child.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Congrats on completing the album and your child!

I love how you filled many of the slots with original and well circulated coins rather than extremely high grade examples, it looks very nice that way

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2022 11:47PM

Congrats to you and the wife
    Morgan is a nice name..................... :)

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update! This has been one of my favorite threads on this forum in my time here, and I hope you’ll keep us updated. You’re in the home stretch now!

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

Great Story being a parent and a grand parent is the best thing in the world congrats, love your coins and how you included people you love with them.

• Options
    BeeManBeeMan Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

Nice set! How did you get a picture of the full album page? I have tried but the lighting is always bad. How far away from the album is the camera and what light source did you use?

Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job, Phil. Congrats on both the album and the addition. Trust me, the addition will far outweigh the album. Good news.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat set.
    I do like how you show the reverses, other than the Bicentennials. It's the Bicentennials that have attractive and different reverses too.
    I'd ask why, yet know it is none of my business.

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file