Home U.S. Coin Forum

TrueView AND SlabView - This is what I'm talking about!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 6, 2022 9:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The two basic ways to photograph a coin are close ups of the coin and inside the slab.

Many auction venues support both which is great because it let's you see all the info on the insert.

PCGS even does both, but it's rare to see both for the same coin.

And of course we know, that many people here over the years have asked PCGS to provide SlabView photos for their coins.

So, today, I'm very happy to report I've run across my first PCGS slabbed coin with both TrueView and SlabView photos!

Hopefully this is a sign of what's coming to more coins in the future :)

Thanks Phil @PCGSPhoto !

Comments

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

A huge step forward trying to sift through bad coins/ holders using good cert #'s!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is interesting.... I know there are strange 'coins' out there, but this is the first surfboard coin I have seen. Cheers, RickO

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that his photo was taken by an oversees office and has no correlation to what the US operations do or plan to do.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.
    I hope this becomes the way of the future.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad, I like both ways!

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Queen hangin' 10. B)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

Always wondered why they didn't already do this. I hope they consider this going forward.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

if that coin is 2 oz. AG then that is one thick coin or an oversized holder.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it.👍🏼

Hoard the keys.
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the coin & the option of having both pictures displayed like this.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

So when submitting coins to CAC you will need to submit your True Views as well.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 10:31PM

I struggle with the idea of more pictures. PCGS processing of submissions is already badly backed-up at the photo booth. It is difficult for our hosts to adhere to turn-around times now due to photo booth back-up in their process. Now you are interested in doubling the photos? I already know they take multiple obverse and reverse photos that don't make it to what you see in a TV.

I can only agree if PCGS decides to quadruple their camera set-up and imaging adjustment equipment and team members.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    I struggle with the idea of more pictures. PCGS processing of submissions is already badly backed-up at the photo booth. It is difficult for our hosts to adhere to turn-around times now due to photo booth back-up in their process. Now you are interested in doubling the photos? I already know they take multiple obverse and reverse photos that don't make it to what you see in a TV.

I can only agree if PCGS decides to quadruple their camera set-up and imaging adjustment equipment and team members.

The slab photos are much, much easier to take than the TrueViews.

@Zoins said:

@sedulous said:

The overseas slabview images, however, lack appropriate coin detail to have full coin viewing enjoyment. I hate that.

edited January 6, 2022 10:39PM

@sedulous said:

@Zoins said:

@sedulous said:

The overseas slabview images, however, lack appropriate coin detail to have full coin viewing enjoyment. I hate that.

That’s why we need both!

Ideally, SlabViews could be done at high resolution but quickly. Once of the challenges with TrueViews is with rotating the coin images which is a lot easier with standardized slabs.

edited January 6, 2022 10:44PM

@Zoins said:

@sedulous said:

@Zoins said:

@sedulous said:

That’s why we need both!

I only agree to that if PCGS increases their submissions process throughput. I have regular submissions right now, way beyond turn-around times, that are sitting. After making inquiries, I find they are "waiting on imaging". Are you staying you don't care if you exasperate that problem? @Zoins ? I apologize if that comes off harsh. It is frustrating for me.

edited January 6, 2022 10:48PM

@Zoins

Ideally, SlabViews could be done at high resolution but quickly.

There you go... I agree to that. Improved efficiency... and you don't lose high details off of the coin.

@sedulous said:

@Zoins said:

@sedulous said:

@Zoins said:

@sedulous said:

That’s why we need both!

I only agree to that if PCGS increases their submissions process throughput. I have regular submissions right now, way beyond turn-around times, that are sitting. After making inquiries, I find they are "waiting on imaging". Are you staying you don't care if you exasperate that problem? @Zoins ? I apologize if that comes off harsh. It is frustrating for me.

They should do it without increasing turnaround times. SlabView has been acknowledged as important by many people, so I think they should consider adding it without disrupting their existing service.

Time for an example
    1899-S Barber Quarter in XF45
    PCGS #80744253

I am told overseas TV's are the slabview variety. Use the PCGS Certification app (or website equivalent) to view this one with the 'overseas' variant of TrueView via the PCGS number provided above. Copy of the TV image:

Now try to zoom in to see the images. Notice the lack of clarity and the feeling of absolute disappointing enjoyment that results from looking at the coin through the TV.

Now I have a D7500 Nikon IRIX 150 length Macro lens set-up and took these images. I was happy once I received this coin in hand as it was actually a pleasurable coin to me. Earlier, I wasn't sure the slabbed coin in hand would be a decent looker:

If I can get the enjoyment from the TrueView via coin surface detail out of a slab view, I am OK with that. If we can get it all-in-one, efficiency in the TV imaging process for submissions would take less camera booth time. A plus!

edited January 7, 2022 4:04AM

@sedulous said:
    Time for an example
    1899-S Barber Quarter in XF45
    PCGS #80744253

I am told overseas TV's are the slabview variety. Use the PCGS Certification app (or website equivalent) to view this one with the 'overseas' variant of TrueView via the PCGS number provided above. Copy of the TV image:

What's interesting here is that this image has a different background than the one in the OP. The one in the OP uses a standard TrueView background while this is a non-TrueView background.

I wonder if the overseas SlabViews are using the TV background now, of if this one is something new?

If I can get the enjoyment from the TrueView via coin surface detail out of a slab view, I am OK with that. If we can get it all-in-one, efficiency in the TV imaging process for submissions would take less camera booth time. A plus!

I still think two sets of photos need to be done, with and without the slab, but what I'm thinking is that the slab photos can be highly automated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file