Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 Silver Quarter- Get it graded or nah?

Hi all! I did my first quarter CRH today and found a 1964 silver quarter. It's being cleaned right now. The question I have is, should I get it graded or just list it on eBay for a reasonable price? I ask because I know they're not worth a whole lot, so I'm wondering if I should just not waste my time with getting it graded. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1964 quarter is ultra common and is strictly a melt value item. It is worth 16 to 20 times face because of its silver content but has no numismatic premium.

DO NOT CLEAN COINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Griffin1217 said:
    Hi all! I did my first quarter CRH today and found a 1964 silver quarter. It's being cleaned right now. The question I have is, should I get it graded or just list it on eBay for a reasonable price? I ask because I know they're not worth a whole lot, so I'm wondering if I should just not waste my time with getting it graded. Thanks!

Even cleaning a 1964 silver quarter will not hurt its value 😉

But if a coin has any value as a collectible, cleaning will reduce or destroy that value.

(Soaking in pure acetone, then rinsing with distilled water, is not considered cleaning, and will not hurt the coin)

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

I'm using vinegar and salt right now because I heard it was gentler on the coin than acetone... can anyone confirm? Thanks.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acid in vinegar is harmful

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price guide on the "PCGS Coin Facts" says that a 1964 quarter in MS-67+ is worth $4,000. PCGS has graded 10 of them. An MS-67 is valued at $800. Forty-six of those have been graded. The chances are not your side. Don't bother to get it graded.

The main piece that "Coin Facts" shows has attractive toning on the obverse. "Cleaning" will remove all of that. This is one of many reasons why you do not clean coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The price guide on the "PCGS Coin Facts" says that a 1964 quarter in MS-67+ is worth $4,000. PCGS has graded 10 of them. An MS-67 is valued at $800. Forty-six of those have been graded. The chances are not your side. Don't bother to get it graded.

The main piece that "Coin Facts" shows has attractive toning on the obverse. "Cleaning" will remove all of that. This is one of many reasons why you do not clean coins.

Further to that, there are collectible die varieties of 1964 and 1964-D quarters that are also worth a premium over melt value. Clean the coins, and you can kiss much of that premium goodbye.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Griffin1217 said:
    I'm using vinegar and salt right now because I heard it was gentler on the coin than acetone... can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Holy crap...

Use vinegar and salt on a copper coin and you will make it completely unsaleable. Use acetone on a copper coin and no one will likely ever know you did it.

With silver coins, the vinegar and salt are equivalent to using silver dip on them. It will be noticeable to anyone with an eye for dipping.

If you have a circulated 1964 Washington quarter, unless you found it in your dog's poop, cleaning it by any means is a waste of time and chemicals.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

!) do not clean coins
    2) just worth silver
    3) save your money - not worth slabbing

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Griffin1217 said:

If you have a circulated 1964 Washington quarter, unless you found it in your dog's poop, cleaning it by any means is a waste of time and chemicals.

If you have a poo coin, cleaning it will increase the smelt value. 😲

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good general rule of thumb is not to send a coin for grading unless it's worth $100-200 (and many recommend the higher range). Grading is going to cost you approx $50-60, so you want to make sure it's worth it. Your coin is worth melt value, or about $4-5

Also, DO NOT clean your coins. You WILL damage the surface and can significantly reduce any value. Cleaned coins are easily spotted by collectors and there is no fixing it.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this is a joke.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are "cleaning" the coin then it can't be in good enough condition to get graded in the first place. After you clean the coin it will only be worth melt value as a collectible.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin value: $5 tops. Grading fee: $50 and up. You do the math.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

April 1st a little early this year.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As noted in several posts above... Do Not Clean Coins.... Acetone will remove organics and not harm the coin.. so a soak is permissible. Anything else will harm the metal surface. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Griffin1217 said:

Not true. Salt is abrasive and corrosive. Vinegar is a weak acid. Acetone is inert on gold, silver, and nickel.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alpha33 said:
    "To clean or not to clean", some of you are all over the map. I refer to this post from Dec.17..."Restoring" coins............
    .........................................now if you'll excuse me while I dawn my asbestos suit for the incoming fire. alpha33 out..........

It has more to do with knowing how to properly clean coins than whether you clean or not. I think many of us are open to careful conservation (cleaning) that doesn’t damage the coin surface. Inexperienced people, though, lack the knowledge and experience to know when to clean and how to clean with minimal change to the coin surface.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not worth grading ... and please don't clean coins, period. Keep hunting.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 9:57AM

@PerryHall said:

@Smudge said:
    I hope this is a joke.

I think we're being trolled. :D

Yes eas my thought, as well.

Cleaning a coin before spending $60 to grade a $5 bullion coin? :*

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my quarter.

This is my quarter that's been cleaned.

Get it?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Smudge said:
    I hope this is a joke.

Someone who knows nothing about the value of a 64 quarter, yet throws in the acronym CRH, which even took me 7 seconds to figure out….

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2022 11:16AM

@dogwood said:

@PerryHall said:

@Smudge said:
    I hope this is a joke.

Someone who knows nothing about the value of a 64 quarter, yet throws in the acronym CRH, which even took me 7 seconds to figure out….

Interesting point. On the other hand, there is so much misinformation on YouTube about CRH and "VALUABLE! RARE! COINS!" that it is actually possible that someone could know about coin roll hunting and know nothing about coin values. It is kind of the basis for some of those videos - everything is rare and valuable!

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one graded but was trying for the 67 or higher.... it’s not easy to find one that will grade high enough to be worthwhile in a roll of quarters - it needs to appear FLAWLESS under 16x to even have a chance.

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:

I had one graded but was trying for the 67 or higher.... it’s not easy to find one that will grade high enough to be worthwhile in a roll of quarters - it needs to appear FLAWLESS under 16x to even have a chance.

Nicely done with the salt water and vinegar!

• Options

Nicely done with the salt water and vinegar!

I once tried to dip a coin in acetone and I screwed that up by using a scented version meant for removing fingernail polish. It was pink in color which should have been a giveaway - but anyhoo, needless to say I don’t try to dip them anymore. I have some 1870s CC half dollars that need to be dipped so at some point I may try again. Regarding my quarter it was more of a learning opportunity for me. I have another one that I have found since that looks even better and might grade 67 or higher and I may send that in someday... TBD

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm always amused when I see a slabbed coin which has a numismatic value of, say $10. Tempted to buy it for said $10 and keep it as a souvenir of sorts.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@Elcontador said:
    I'm always amused when I see a slabbed coin which has a numismatic value of, say $10. Tempted to buy it for said $10 and keep it as a souvenir of sorts.

Look again - MS66 worth at least 50, and again I was hoping for a 67 which is easily worth grading and several hundred in value. And finally, I collect both proof and MS 1964 date series because it is numismatically interesting date as the last year of .900 silver coinage with some exception for the half dollars)... in high grades even common coins have value...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post pics of any 1870s CC half dollars before dipping

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:

I got boxes of souvenirs just let me know what you're looking for.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the heck, send it in.
    What the heck, clean it some more...
    Is it going to be the forums job indefinitely to keep answering these ridiculous posts with earnest advice?

• Options

Yikes. Kind of an old post by now, but yikes. Thank you to those that are nice, but a lot of these comments are just blowing my mind. I had no idea what I was doing and pretty much still don't, I don't know what you expected from a young person who is completely new to all of this but it's clearly not an expectation I fulfilled? I'm... sorry? I guess?
    1. I didn't know salt and vinegar were harmful, now I do
    2. I wasn't sure how much grading was and I especially didn't know it was that expensive
    How are you supposed to learn things like this if not by asking questions? I don't really know what else to say. Wow.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

"1. I didn't know salt and vinegar were harmful, "

Depends on the situation..........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Griffin1217 said:
    Yikes. Kind of an old post by now, but yikes. Thank you to those that are nice, but a lot of these comments are just blowing my mind. I had no idea what I was doing and pretty much still don't, I don't know what you expected from a young person who is completely new to all of this but it's clearly not an expectation I fulfilled? I'm... sorry? I guess?
    2. I wasn't sure how much grading was and I especially didn't know it was that expensive
    How are you supposed to learn things like this if not by asking questions? I don't really know what else to say. Wow.

Sorry if some of the responses seemed harsh Griffin.
    Without some introduction as to your background, it may have been incorrectly assumed that you were a Troll, just looking to rile people up and waste their time. Sadly, that has happened a LOT recently on this site so some of the old timers have gotten a bit suspicious and jaded.
    This is actually a great place to learn with some of the top experts sharing their knowlege freely.
    Some of us old timers may be a little rough around the edges, but if you introduce yourself as a young collector that is still learning- that will go a long way towards remedying the problematic obstacles of this somewhat anonymous social media platform.

Welcome to collecting and have fun!
    Asking questions is GOOD!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

@nwcoast said:

@Griffin1217 said:

Sorry if some of the responses seemed harsh Griffin.
    Without some introduction as to your background, it may have been incorrectly assumed that you were a Troll, just looking to rile people up and waste their time. Sadly, that has happened a LOT recently on this site so some of the old timers have gotten a bit suspicious and jaded.
    This is actually a great place to learn with some of the top experts sharing their knowlege freely.
    Some of us old timers may be a little rough around the edges, but if you introduce yourself as a young collector that is still learning- that will go a long way towards remedying the problematic obstacles of this somewhat anonymous social media platform.

Welcome to collecting and have fun!
    Asking questions is GOOD!

Thank you very much for your kindness and honesty. I'll be sure to make an introduction post so people know I'm not a troll!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

He or she knows how to pull are chains.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file