Home U.S. Coin Forum

Speaking of "The dive into gold continues," a 1901-S $10 Gold Liberty $10 MS63 CAC sells for $5,760.

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2, 2021 6:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just closed tonight at Great Collections Early Holders auction.

A common date $10 gold Liberty in early holder gets a gold bean and wow!!!!

What am I missing here?????

Edited to add: It was not GC, it was Heritage Auctions. Must have had GC on my mind at posting time.

Anyone??

https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-eagles/1901-s-10-ms63-pcgs-gold-cac-pcgs-population-5773-5863-ngc-census-7727-5925-cdn-1-040-whsle-bid-for-ngc-pcgs/a/60230-91445.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Comments

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone must think it’s a 66. But doesn’t look like one in those pics. 🤔🤓

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know what it would grade but it sure is a looker. Gold beans seem to go for more than 1 grade higher pricing. Hopefully it works for the buyer. At least the looks of the coin are fantastic.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe they they mistook it for a $20…

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not a 63

Do not know pricing for these

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone just got buried in a coin. Nice looking coin but it's a very common date and it isn't worth what he paid.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    It’s not a 63

There are almost 5000 graded 64/64+ and it’s $2000 at that level. Another 1400 at 65/65+ and that’s $3500-4000

Needs to be MS66 at that price.

I know people don’t want to hear it but,
    CAC stickers on gold coins bring big premiums.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    It’s not a 63

Reverse holds it back

Doesn’t look like a 66 to me

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see it as a 64 and paying 64 money but that price is over the top.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

They took a great pic of the coin.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2021 7:41PM

Sorry, my post wasn’t meant to embarrass you. No crime was committed.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess my humble coin needs to go to the bean factory. I never would have guessed 01-s's
    Were that popular.

Have a nice day
    edited December 2, 2021 3:28AM

@BryceM said:
    Gold CAC stickers on Rattlers with gold coins inside is the magic happy combination that causes people to do silly things.

The photo of the slab certainly helped. It makes the luster look otherworldly.

Maybe that's why the price paid was "otherworldly". :D

@DelawareDoons said:
    Yeah, I saw this one! I knew the price would get nuts, I tapped out around $2750.

1, Rattler holder.

2, Gold CAC.

3, ORANGE PEEL BABY!

It's a stunner. I'm sure the new owner will be elated with it, I would be. I just don't have $6,000 to chase stuff like this with.

It's a great coin but I would have trouble enjoying it knowing that I paid twice what it's worth and I'm now deeply buried in it.

I would add that some collectors do not focus on price or ROI as much as others here do. Some collectors will pay what it takes to secure an item because they don't have resale in mind.

@PerryHall said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I would add that some collectors do not focus on price or ROI as much as others here do. Some collectors will pay what it takes to secure an item because they don't have resale in mind.

I wish I was rich enough to not worry about the price of the coins that I buy. :/

I agree. It has caused me to put my gold type set on hold. The dealer I work with says "have patience". It appears more and more people are buying coins that fit the rich enough to not care category.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is surprising... but having watched and participated in auctions for decades, I have seen even worse when the testosterone flows.... I used to go to the police auctions of firearms.... Saw pieces go for three times the price they could be purchased for new, three blocks away in the firearms store. Same applies to coin auctions I have watched/participated in. Reason is blown away by want....Cheers, RickO

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 5:51AM

@PerryHall said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    Yeah, I saw this one! I knew the price would get nuts, I tapped out around $2750.

1, Rattler holder.

2, Gold CAC.

3, ORANGE PEEL BABY!

It's a stunner. I'm sure the new owner will be elated with it, I would be. I just don't have $6,000 to chase stuff like this with.

It's a great coin but I would have trouble enjoying it knowing that I paid twice what it's worth and I'm now deeply buried in it.

I don't necessarily disagree. But I know a fellow who bid on this coin and left it behind at ~$4.8k in addition to my bids at $2.75k, so that tells me at least 4 people were willing to pay in the ballpark of 65 money, and at least 3 willing to pay near 66 money. Gotta think at least one of those would be willing to pony up if it were re-offered for a ~15% loss.

Also, as somebody building an old holder set, some coins are just tough to find. IE if you showed me a nice CAC Barber Half in a 3.0 Fatty, I'm paying in excess of guide in about 3 seconds, assuming its a reasonable price. Maybe this is the missing piece for somebody's 20th century Liberty $10 in rattlers with CAC short set or something. Maybe a gold CAC rattler type set? Who knows.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 5:51AM

@pcgscacgold said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    It’s not a 63

I know people don’t want to hear it but,
    CAC stickers on gold coins bring big premiums.

It's that it's a gold sticker that generated such a price. A gold sticker on just about any coin often does the same.

Rational? Not really, IMHO.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

What people choose to do with their money is their business I guess. Doesn't mean universal wisdom is displayed on many purchases...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

I think the gold CAC bean is sometimes over-rated by some coin buyers. All the gold bean means is that the graders at CAC think that it's at least one full grade higher that what the expert professional graders at PCGS think it grades. I think it's irrational to think the grade assigned by PCGS is off by three full grades in this case or that CAC is always right when they disagree with PCGS in general.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful coin...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@PerryHall said:
    I think the gold CAC bean is sometimes over-rated by some coin buyers. All the gold bean means is that the graders at CAC think that it's at least one full grade higher that what the expert professional graders at PCGS think it grades. I think it's irrational to think the grade assigned by PCGS is off by three full grades in this case or that CAC is always right when they disagree with PCGS in general.

As a general rule of hand, old holders should almost always garner plus money. Gold CAC goes two grades up. So look at 65+ pricing relative to what it sold for to get a baseline for what you could easily expect to sell it for.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s my 65,
    Paid $1600 >:)

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that even coins with non-gold stickers can bring over PCGS retail numbers is indicative of how hot the market is in PQ coins. It is like a two tiered market; and the registry phenomenon is highly competitive. That coin had all the right eye appealing characteristics, totally original and "antique" looking, probably in the top few percent for that issue. Add to the demand all the crazy money out there in some quarters and all it takes is a highly visible auction such as HA or GC and the coin brings the big number.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just bought this for $50 more than my ‘absolute, not going one penny higher bid’ the two piece undamaged holder and the fact it’s the only 1882 $5 with a gold bean caught my interest.

• SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wish I was the consignor.

@SIowhand said:

It sold for $3055 at the FUN Heritage sale on 1/9/2013 so it did do well over the last 8 years but also went for a lot back then.

I think it really comes down to the depths of the pockets of those bidding. What I think of as a significant amount of money is not even an afterthought for others. Time is money. They see something that fills the need and don't want to invest any more time looking for another.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s an attractive MS-64 in an MS-63 holder. There are too many marks on the face to grade any higher. The person who paid the price realized bought a sticker. They are welcome to it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's threads like these that remind me of the auto insurance commercial where the guy leading a group of people to a football game says to stop talking about leaving before getting in to see the game.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@SIowhand said:

It sold for $3055 at the FUN Heritage sale on 1/9/2013 so it did do well over the last 8 years but also went for a lot back then.

I had the Gold sticker on it then too.

Brought double it's 2013 price with the same sticker, same holder, same venue.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-eagles/1901-s-10-ms63-pcgs-cac-gold-label-breen-7075/a/1181-7392.s?hdnJumpToLot=1&x=0&y=0

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 5:52PM

I've been buying gold in OGH with gold stickers for 6 years now. It's very competitive and with gold hot even more so now. Coin, holder, gold CAC it's the total package. It one doesn't collect this niche I wouldn't expect them to understand the pricing. There is a finite number of this "bells and whistles" combination. Different strokes for different folks. It's what makes it a hobby.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited December 3, 2021 12:25AM

@Justacommeman said:
    I've been buying gold in OGH with gold stickers for 6 years now. It's very competitive and with good hot even more so now. Coin, holder, gold CAC it's the total package. It one doesn't collect this niche I wouldn't expect them to understand the pricing. There is a finite number of this "bells and whistles" combination. Different strokes for different folks. It's what makes it a hobby.

m

Hey Mark,

The reason I don't collect that niche is precisely because I don't understand the pricing! The fact that a coin was undergraded a long time ago doesn't automatically make it a lot more valuable (to me) than if it were correctly graded today. OTOH, I understand why others might think gold stickers are cool, and are willing to pay up for them. Like you say, different strokes.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 11:33AM
    1. I don’t bid / offer above the grade on the holder nor buy the sticker. If they want more let them find that wealthy buyer or send to TPG get it in holder at higher grade (if it’s really that wonderful).
    2. I am out to buy it right at my price (that allows positive margin) for retail inventory.
    3. Wealthy collectors will bid material into the stratosphere (much to sellers delight) especially if stickered.
    4. Demand will move sideways as prices exceed players resources / operation mode / assessment of what can move quickly for.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I've been buying gold in OGH with gold stickers for 6 years now. It's very competitive and with good hot even more so now. Coin, holder, gold CAC it's the total package. It one doesn't collect this niche I wouldn't expect them to understand the pricing. There is a finite number of this "bells and whistles" combination. Different strokes for different folks. It's what makes it a hobby.

m

Hey Mark,

The reason I don't collect that niche is precisely because I don't understand the pricing! The fact that a coin was undergraded a long time ago doesn't automatically make it a lot more valuable (to me) than if it were correctly graded today. OTOH, I understand why others might think gold stickers are cool, and are willing to pay up for them. Like you say, different strokes.

Anybody can build a set of just about anything with enough money.

If you want to ramp the difficulty up, target specific holders/CAC combinations. Like Mark said, only so many out there, so competition gets intense. I personally appreciate the difficulty added by focusing on old holders + CAC. I get it's not for everybody.

@Justacommeman said:

m

Many just look at the coin and aren't concerned with the holder and attribute little value to the sticker. To them the buyer overpaid. For someone considering not just the coin but the holder and stick it's worth more. I've been looking at some coins in OGH's. I buy coins and crack them out of the holders to put in an air tite. I've hesitated on buying coins in OGH looking elsewhere knowing there are folks looking for the coin and holder, and to buy the coin to crack it out is going to spoil someone else's day.

@pmh1nic said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Many just look at the coin and aren't concerned with the holder and attribute little value to the sticker. To them the buyer overpaid. For someone considering not just the coin but the holder and stick it's worth more. I've been looking at some coins in OGH's. I buy coins and crack them out of the holders to put in an air tite. I've hesitated on buying coins in OGH looking elsewhere knowing there are folks looking for the coin and holder, and to buy the coin to crack it out is going to spoil someone else's day.

My reaction reading this post.

@DelawareDoons said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Hey Mark,

Anybody can build a set of just about anything with enough money.

If you want to ramp the difficulty up, target specific holders/CAC combinations. Like Mark said, only so many out there, so competition gets intense. I personally appreciate the difficulty added by focusing on old holders + CAC. I get it's not for everybody.

As an OGH aficionado myself, I understand the allure of older holders. I like both the aesthetics and the implied stability of the coin's surfaces. My point was simply that once a gold CAC sticker gets applied to an OGH, people tend to bid the coin therein to levels that I usually can't justify paying. There is absolutely nothing special about a lot of these coins other than the OGH and the gold sticker. Ultimately, for me the OGH is the trimming and not the main course.

Whether current premiums for OGH/gold CAC coins persist (or even increase) in the future remains to be seen. I've got other things I'd rather bet on from an investment standpoint. YMMV.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 4:09PM

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Or maybe they they mistook it for a $20…

Or perhaps even 3 - $20's. Crazy world!
    Edit: I purchased my $10 1901-s (no silly stickers) for $620 and at the time I thought I was probably overpaying. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 4:25PM

The op coin 1901-s $10 going for $5760 (MS66 money) is imo an example of what many call sticker mania. This over 4x CF MV. Certainly PQ worth more but……let’s be rational. Janine Cody (Animal Kingdom) would smile at getting that huge auc sale. MS 66 money is $5500 (CF).

CF MV MS63 = $1400. Auc avg (CF) about 1260.

Like the 1950-D nickel roll fad in 1964 how long will this last?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

@Justacommeman said:

Congratulations on your win!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file