Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Speaking of "The dive into gold continues," a 1901-S $10 Gold Liberty $10 MS63 CAC sells for $5,760.

2»

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I've been buying gold in OGH with gold stickers for 6 years now. It's very competitive and with good hot even more so now. Coin, holder, gold CAC it's the total package. It one doesn't collect this niche I wouldn't expect them to understand the pricing. There is a finite number of this "bells and whistles" combination. Different strokes for different folks. It's what makes it a hobby.

Congratulations on your win!

He didn’t say he bought it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was being playful

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    i was being playful

Even I knew that. :)

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I've been buying gold in OGH with gold stickers for 6 years now. It's very competitive and with good hot even more so now. Coin, holder, gold CAC it's the total package. It one doesn't collect this niche I wouldn't expect them to understand the pricing. There is a finite number of this "bells and whistles" combination. Different strokes for different folks. It's what makes it a hobby.

Congratulations on your win!

Thanks!
    Have to finish the job on Saturday. Go Blue!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Hey Mark,

The reason I don't collect that niche is precisely because I don't understand the pricing! The fact that a coin was undergraded a long time ago doesn't automatically make it a lot more valuable (to me) than if it were correctly graded today. OTOH, I understand why others might think gold stickers are cool, and are willing to pay up for them. Like you say, different strokes.

Oh I get that. It's kind of like toning premiums. It takes awhile and then even then you're never quite sure. One more layer for me is that I try to stay away from common coins in the OGH/ Gold CAC.

Happy Holidays my friend

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Hey Mark,

The reason I don't collect that niche is precisely because I don't understand the pricing! The fact that a coin was undergraded a long time ago doesn't automatically make it a lot more valuable (to me) than if it were correctly graded today. OTOH, I understand why others might think gold stickers are cool, and are willing to pay up for them. Like you say, different strokes.

Oh I get that. It's kind of like toning premiums. It takes awhile and then even then you're never quite sure. One more layer for me is that I try to stay away from common coins in the OGH/ Gold CAC.

Happy Holidays my friend

mark

Toning premiums are an excellent analogy. It takes a while to understand how the market values different types of toning. FWIW, gold coins are one area of the market where I think a CAC sticker adds the most value. Early type is another.

Happy holidays to you and yours, as well! Perhaps we'll share a drink at a Long Beach down the line. :)

• Options

@pmh1nic said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Many just look at the coin and aren't concerned with the holder and attribute little value to the sticker. To them the buyer overpaid. For someone considering not just the coin but the holder and stick it's worth more. I've been looking at some coins in OGH's. I buy coins and crack them out of the holders to put in an air tite. I've hesitated on buying coins in OGH looking elsewhere knowing there are folks looking for the coin and holder, and to buy the coin to crack it out is going to spoil someone else's day.

I'm absolutely counting on the many not being concerned with the holder or the gold stickers. Also please do buy and crack them out of the OGH's. You would be doing me a huge favor!

mark

• Options
    edited December 3, 2021 6:14PM

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Hey Mark,

Happy Holidays my friend

mark

Toning premiums are an excellent analogy. It takes a while to understand how the market values different types of toning. FWIW, gold coins are one area of the market where I think a CAC sticker adds the most value. Early type is another.

Happy holidays to you and yours, as well! Perhaps we'll share a drink at a Long Beach down the line. :)

I'd love that.

Still one of my favorite buys of all time which at the time might not have made sense. Maybe it still doesn't but it make me smile everytime I gaze upon her. Love at first sight

Coin collecting is nostalgic in nature. To me the OGH's just tell a more compelling story.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s one great splash coin!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that one checks all of the boxes, and then some! I love the old green labels, too, and they look especially good contrasted to gold coins. Would love to see that one in hand sometime. :)

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 9:55PM

I think the ogh and the gold sticker take away from the coin. That one stands on its one merits. Put it on a black or white background and leave it as it is…. It stands on its own merits. No tpg , slab, sticker needed!

Wow! Just Wow!

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Hey Mark,

Happy Holidays my friend

mark

I'd love that.

Still one of my favorite buys of all time which at the time might not have made sense. Maybe it still doesn't but it make me smile everytime I gaze upon her. Love at first sight

Coin collecting is nostalgic in nature. To me the OGH's just tell a more compelling story.

That is a stunningly beautiful coin and I don’t give crap what you paid for it. I’d be honored to own it.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@PerryHall said:
    I think the gold CAC bean is sometimes over-rated by some coin buyers. All the gold bean means is that the graders at CAC think that it's at least one full grade higher that what the expert professional graders at PCGS think it grades. I think it's irrational to think the grade assigned by PCGS is off by three full grades in this case or that CAC is always right when they disagree with PCGS in general.

As a general rule of hand, old holders should almost always garner plus money. Gold CAC goes two grades up. So look at 65+ pricing relative to what it sold for to get a baseline for what you could easily expect to sell it for.

Why pay so much for a gold sticker if you don’t know for sure if it is 1 or 2 grades higher. Buy a 64 or 65 graded coin instead. That’s a better saner idea.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector said:
    I think the ogh and the gold sticker take away from the coin. That one stands on its one merits. Put it on a black or white background and leave it as it is…. It stands on its own merits. No tpg , slab, sticker needed!

Wow! Just Wow!

The slab has value if for no other reason that it affords a high degree of physical protection to a high grade coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think many of you just can't grasp that there are some people who just don't care about making money when they sell their coins. That $5000 is walking around money for some.

When a guy buys a restored classic 67 Mustang to drive a few weekends a year do you think that is a good "investment." Maybe but probably not. Or buying a boat or belonging to a country club.

We bought a house two years ago from a woman who probably left 1/2 million on the table...she just didn't care...she just wanted to get rid of it to move on in life...her husband had passed and she had a couple of other houses and enough money for her remaining years already...

To each their own.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@PerryHall said:
    I think the gold CAC bean is sometimes over-rated by some coin buyers. All the gold bean means is that the graders at CAC think that it's at least one full grade higher that what the expert professional graders at PCGS think it grades. I think it's irrational to think the grade assigned by PCGS is off by three full grades in this case or that CAC is always right when they disagree with PCGS in general.

As a general rule of hand, old holders should almost always garner plus money. Gold CAC goes two grades up. So look at 65+ pricing relative to what it sold for to get a baseline for what you could easily expect to sell it for.

Why pay so much for a gold sticker if you don’t know for sure if it is 1 or 2 grades higher. Buy a 64 or 65 graded coin instead. That’s a better saner idea.

It's not just the sticker, its the sticker and the holder.

Why pay so much for antiquated metal disks that used to be a method of exchange? Because it is what we collect. Why pay so much for a gold sticker? Because it is what they collect.

Instead of denigrating what others choose to purchase and collect, how about just accepting that it isn't something you would do and move on?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m glad so many pay so much attention to the number on the holder in relation to other numbers in price guides and auction results that have little relevance to any individual coin, that’s how the overgraded crap gets moved.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2021 5:20PM

“Some people” aren’t everybody nor the majority.

But sure if you get 2 or more wealthy have to have it bidders coupled with sticker mania big ticket scarce stuff can realize a lot. To them $6k is chump change. Do u know how scarce these people are?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@Joey29 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@PerryHall said:

It's not just the sticker, its the sticker and the holder.

Why pay so much for antiquated metal disks that used to be a method of exchange? Because it is what we collect. Why pay so much for a gold sticker? Because it is what they collect.

Instead of denigrating what others choose to purchase and collect, how about just accepting that it isn't something you would do and move on?

That’s fine I really wasn’t denigrating anybody. Just making a point that to pay for that gold sticker more than 65 money when the holder says 63 and and you can buy a made 65 for less makes little sense. It’s another thing to buy a gold sticker coin where the price is more reasonable and the downside is more minimal

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file