Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My oh my how the mighty have fallen

A little while back I was on here wondering if I should wait to buy my PSA 8 1993 Jeter when it was down to $1000 from it being $2K plus. Now? Last 5 of those have ended under $600 on the 'bay, including one a couple days ago for $520. Talk about a bubble bursting...

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, high pop cards like that exploded about a year ago. See all the 86 Fleer basketball PSA 9s. I bought a Barkley PSA 9 at a show and was thrilled to get it for $1500 now I can get it for under $1000.00. Same goes for 1969 Alcindor. Not sure what I paid for my PSA 5 but I know I can get it for much cheaper. The good side of this is I sold cards to finance the purchases that have also dropped by a large amount so no big loss. The market just got too expensive too fast. Some things have held there ground but anyone who has been around a bit knew it would come back around. Only issue I have is, I still can't grade cards at a price that matches the current market. Not sure how long that is going to take to come back to the pack.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

that isnt a card i follow. didnt realize they had dropped so much.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Wow!

Have all Jeters’ 93 cards followed suit? Also, what about the SP in 9?

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez, I wish anything on my want list went down like that!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magic/Bird RCs really taking a hit. From $5,000 to $2,000 for PSA 7s. And one PSA 7 went for $1,700 BIN a few days ago:

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Wow!

They've gone down some but have remained stable or even bumped in some cases. His SP in 9 is around $9500.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DonnieJeter said:
    A little while back I was on here wondering if I should wait to buy my PSA 8 1993 Jeter when it was down to $1000 from it being $2K plus. Now? Last 5 of those have ended under $600 on the 'bay, including one a couple days ago for $520. Talk about a bubble bursting...

I have been watching this very same card. Almost pulled the trigger a few months ago. Glad I am waiting, now how long will this drop?

Actually, I have been holding off on buying much of anything, waiting for this correction to become more widespread. We shall see..

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:
    At least Jeter had a great career and is a HOFer. His cards should always have decent value in the future. What scares me are the insane prices collectors are still paying for Mike Trout cards. Someone paid 100k for his 2012 Panini Prizm Gold card last month on eBay! He's 30 years old and injury prone. Do they really think he's going to get better? He's definitely on the downside of his career. No way are they getting that 100k back, ever.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I don't follow those, where were those Jeters sitting before the jump up in prices?

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless it is super tough issue or ultra high grade, the correction should only continue. As more and more lose their shirts on submissions, with cards selling well below submission fees unless it is a 10. This is why PSA could not just open up another office to handle volume because you would eventually have to close it due to the demand eventually waning and normalizing. We still have some time to wait to get back to anything that I consider normal in this hobby though.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to see a lot of people getting duped earlier this year when it was so obvious that people were shilling and “certain” auction services were pumping cards at absurd prices for cards like Jordan rookies in PSA 10 - worked its way down to 9’s and 8’s. When 8’s were going for $25-30k it was not going to turn out well, and now they are selling for $7-8k. Bird/Magic rookies doing the same.

• Options

@swish54 said:
    I don't follow those, where were those Jeters sitting before the jump up in prices?

Right about where they are now, actually.

• Options

@KendallCat said:
    Sad to see a lot of people getting duped earlier this year when it was so obvious that people were shilling and “certain” auction services were pumping cards at absurd prices for cards like Jordan rookies in PSA 10 - worked its way down to 9’s and 8’s. When 8’s were going for $25-30k it was not going to turn out well, and now they are selling for $7-8k. Bird/Magic rookies doing the same.

I believe this was happening, but with a card so plentiful as PSA 8 1993 SP Jeters, it seems it couldn't have just been shilling bidders to push the card over $2K. It seemed like there were multiples of these ending at those prices each night. Is it possible the shilling was that widespread and organized? Something was fishy for sure though - I've never seen a card (that I've been interested in, at least) take such a precipitous, speedy dive after hitting such high highs.

• Options

Three recent sales in November 2021 for a 1996 Topps Kobe Bryant PSA 10 were for $1,728.00, $1,675.00 and $1,700.00.

Back February 2021, the same card went as high as $8,400.00. Crazy.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 11:57PM

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

You also have to realize that when 50 people with $50k in their pocket immediately want a card that is readily available, the first to sell goes for close to 50k and each subsequent one goes for less as another card winner leaves the market for that card.

Combine that with a few unethical sellers and you get what we had last year…

…so, what we have here is a failure to communicate. Some men you just can’t reach. So, you get what we had here last week…which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it! I don’t like it any more than you men…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@Jack131 said:
    Three recent sales in November 2021 for a 1996 Topps Kobe Bryant PSA 10 were for $1,728.00, $1,675.00 and $1,700.00.

Back February 2021, the same card went as high as $8,400.00. Crazy.

Wow! I sold a 9 for that price early in 2021!

• Options

@Centauri said:

@MisterTim1962 said:
    At least Jeter had a great career and is a HOFer. His cards should always have decent value in the future. What scares me are the insane prices collectors are still paying for Mike Trout cards. Someone paid 100k for his 2012 Panini Prizm Gold card last month on eBay! He's 30 years old and injury prone. Do they really think he's going to get better? He's definitely on the downside of his career. No way are they getting that 100k back, ever.

If Trout never plays another game, he would be a first ballot HOFer, and be considered the superior player to Jeter.

Now, that doesn’t mean these prices are a good investment, but he is actually a good baseball player.

• Options

@Centauri said:

@MisterTim1962 said:

If Trout never plays another game, he would be a first ballot HOFer, and be considered the superior player to Jeter.

Now, that doesn’t mean these prices are a good investment, but he is actually a good baseball player.

Did you mean superior hitter? Id agree there but part of being a player is actually doing the playing. Mike Trout is not superior to Derek Jeter when it comes to getting on the field and actually playing, a surprisingly underrated metric these days.

Derek Jeter played every day; I’ll take him all day…

…and here’s my Trout’s:

😉

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll stick to vintage... just picked up a Topps 1957 Bobby Richardson rookie the looks exceptional as well as a 57 Berra for about 5% of the peak of the Jeter card discussed in this thread.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I'll stick to vintage... just picked up a Topps 1957 Bobby Richardson rookie the looks exceptional as well as a 57 Berra for about 5% of the peak of the Jeter card discussed in this thread.

Vintage is my first love and Derek Jeter is an all time Yankee as well as a vintage type of player; maybe even the last great vintage type player we’ll ever see…

…so he was a must have on both counts. For me, anyway. Plus, thread are better with cards.

😁

• Options

Also, where you bought in matters some. Pre boom, PSA 10 Topps was $125, PSA 10 Bowman $150 and PSA 8 SP around $200. So if you just held them the whole time (like a frickin’ idiot, or, you know, me 🤫) then they’re still up! They’re still up!

🥲😂🤣

84 Mattingly in PSA 10 was around $250 pre boom, topped out around $2K and has also settled higher with recent sales around 750-950ish

• Options

I don't see Jeter as vintage.

While I do not expect anyone to agree with me, vintage should somewhat follow and track the development of the game. I see vintage as 1968 and earlier... the last season before the expansion and divisions. Starting in 1969, we have what I simply refer to as the Modern era which extends to 1993 and before the next expansion and separation into three divisions that commenced in1994. You can choose between Post-Modern or Contemporary for the time frame of 1994 to the present.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 8:33AM

@coinkat I think it’s more appropriate to base the definition of vintage on the history of card production/collecting rather than the game itself. Noteworthy landmarks are late 60s (collecting becomes established, dealers like Fritsch and Galasso emerge) and early 80s (Topps competitors emerge, junk wax era begins), etc.

I view vintage as pre -1981 based on my own collecting history and age, but I can see splitting it into pre-late 60s and late 60s - 1980.

• Options

Wrong. He doesn't have long term numbers to make the HOF. Only 1,400 hits and 300 HRs, which is WAY too low to be considered for induction. No way he makes it unless he puts up another five good seasons.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I don't see Jeter as vintage.

While I do not expect anyone to agree with me, vintage should somewhat follow and track the development of the game. I see vintage as 1968 and earlier... the last season before the expansion and divisions. Starting in 1969, we have what I simply refer to as the Modern era which extends to 1993 and before the next expansion and separation into three divisions that commenced in1994. You can choose between Post-Modern or Contemporary for the time frame of 1994 to the present.

I agree, he’s not from the vintage era of cards. And, again, I have so many more vintage cards than I do modern cards in my collection:

…and watching the way Jeter played, he seemed from a different era. No dancing, no showboating, hard nosed, played hurt, winning is all that matters.

I don’t think there are many guys that hit all those notes anymore. And I’m not knocking the dancers and showboaters, either. Times change and it’s made the game more appealing to a new generation so I’m fine with it all.

• Options

I got the same feeling watching George Brett play the game. a vintage type player

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I got the same feeling watching George Brett play the game. a vintage type player

Definitely with you there.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 11:27AM

@craig44 said:

Totally. Ever heard a Derek Jeter interview? He definitely spent time on a bus with Crash Davis.

Twenty years of saying the right thing every time before and after games for that span is impressive all by itself.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@craig44 said:

Totally. Ever heard a Derek Jeter interview? He definitely spent time on a bus with Crash Davis.

Twenty years of saying the right thing every time before and after games for that span is impressive all by itself.

Incredibly boring, but I understand why he did it that way.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

Vintage is my first love and Derek Jeter is an all time Yankee as well as a vintage type of player; maybe even the last great vintage type player we’ll ever see…

…so he was a must have on both counts. For me, anyway. Plus, thread are better with cards.

😁

As long as you accept that no player, in the history of baseball, cost his team more on defense than Jeter did, and it isn't terribly close. This isn't to say that Jeter was a worse defensive player than, say, David Ortiz, just that he was continually placed in positions where he could hurt the Yankees, and he took advantage of that.

• Options

@daltex said:

@coinkat said:

😁

As long as you accept that no player, in the history of baseball, cost his team more on defense than Jeter did, and it isn't terribly close. This isn't to say that Jeter was a worse defensive player than, say, David Ortiz, just that he was continually placed in positions where he could hurt the Yankees, and he took advantage of that.

Hmm. Do I have to accept that?

🤔

No, I don’t think I do. Wait.

🤔

Yes, I’m sure I don’t.

You can accept that, though. And you can point to any metrics you like to prove it, as is also your right.

😁

• Options

according to nearly all defensive metrics (which, admittedly, are not always great measures), jeter was historically bad at playing SS

• Options

As for card production/collecting being a more appropriate measure to define vintage, I did contemplate that. However, I see baseball cards as a means of advertising and promoting interest in MLB... initially for kids... but has grown and extended to bridge generations of baseball fans. It truly is amazing what has been reduced and incorporated onto a card... images combined with color and stats with the intent to bring out the best in MLB. So as the game changed, cards reflect that change and have elevated creativity that can be measured through the passage of time.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 5:19PM

@craig44 said:
    according to nearly all defensive metrics (which, admittedly, are not always great measures), jeter was historically bad at playing SS

Those aren’t metrics - those are baseball instinct - and they make up for lack of range. Given the choice between getting to more balls or always making the smart play, I know which one I’d pick and which one lead directly to championships, in this specific case.

He shouldn’t have been shortstop the last 2-3 years he’d played. Fine. Granted. Also why metrics suck. With all he’d accomplished as a Yankee, I would have let him pitch, catch and/or play center, too. Perhaps he could have moved off short for Arod but since Alex Rodriguez was, to quote our illustrious @AFLfan, a pop tart of epic proportions, I know I wouldn’t even pee on him if he was on fire, let alone ask Yankees captain Derek Jeter to switch positions for him.

In fact, if Jeter had lost a leg, he’d be hopping around short before I give it to A Fraud.

I hope I am not being too ambiguous here. 😉

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

We Sox fans love to hate Jeter. The hatred is so passionate because we can’t deny the way he played, the clutch hitting, and the results, despite the fact that he is irrationally overrated by all Yankees fans. He was a gawd awful SS, especially in his later years. (Correa didn’t need any can banging to hit that one on the screws.) The difference between Jeter being a “average HoFer”, as he most assuredly is, and the walk on water all time best SS Yanks fans see him as, drives us Sox fans nuts.

It is no fun to hate ARod. Everyone does. It’s like hating taxes, broccoli, and your in laws.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DonnieJeter said:

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Wow!

They've gone down some but have remained stable or even bumped in some cases. His SP in 9 is around $9500.

It was 25,000 in in Feb-March

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 7:14PM

@Centauri said:

@MisterTim1962 said:

Unless we compare post-season numbers :)

As I recall Jeter played enough post season games that it's pretty much equal to a full regular season worth of games. Against the best competition Jeter had higher post season avg than regular season

Not going argue who was "better" as it's an absurd argument in general comparing different type of players and era's, but I will say Trout may have several MVP's but seems a bit hollow to me without even a single post season game win.

Can Mr Trout wear a great WAR or other mathematical metrics around his fingers :)

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 7:19PM

@craig44 said:

But yet 2 of his plays are considered all-time finest in the video era. It's those plays from Jeter that future generations will see, not him failing to reach a ball in the hole during the sunset of his career. For better or worse perception dwarfs metrics - metrics that u even admitted are dicey.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    We Sox fans love to hate Jeter. The hatred is so passionate because we can’t deny the way he played, the clutch hitting, and the results, despite the fact that he is irrationally overrated by all Yankees fans. He was a gawd awful SS, especially in his later years. (Correa didn’t need any can banging to hit that one on the screws.) The difference between Jeter being a “average HoFer”, as he most assuredly is, and the walk on water all time best SS Yanks fans see him as, drives us Sox fans nuts.

It is no fun to hate ARod. Everyone does. It’s like hating taxes, broccoli, and your in laws.

Listen, I can accept the position that a Red Sox fan thinks Jeter’s an average Hall of Famer.

And in semi related news, Nomar Garciaparra has recently accepted a position as Derek Jeter’s pool guy.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@craig44 said:

But yet 2 of his plays are considered all-time finest in the video era. It's those plays from Jeter that future generations will see, not him failing to reach a ball in the hole during the sunset of his career. For better or worse perception dwarfs metrics - metrics that u even admitted are dicey.

Jeter absolutely should have let Arod play SS when he moved over. his ego wouldn't allow it. Arod was a much better defender. it would have been better for the team. a selfish move by the captain for sure. it really is not even debatable if viewed purely on baseball ability. they MAY have added another world series in the 00s.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

And in semi related news, Nomar Garciaparra has recently accepted a position as Derek Jeter’s pool guy.

Not true, he is Mia Hamms pool guy.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:

Wrong. He doesn't have long term numbers to make the HOF. Only 1,400 hits and 300 HRs, which is WAY too low to be considered for induction. No way he makes it unless he puts up another five good seasons.

He's already got far more great seasons than Koufax.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@MisterTim1962 said:

Koufax was a winner, and had heart. 2 boxes that Trout will never check.

• Options

Sandy Koufax dominated baseball his last five seasons. He won five ERA titles in a row, three of them with an ERA under 2.00! He struck out 300 or more batters three times in that stretch and his record was 111-34! That's a win percentage of .766, which is insane. He went 27-9 with a 1.73 ERA in 1966 and then retired at the age of 30, due to an arthritic elbow. If not for that issue, he could have dominated baseball for another five years minimum.

Mike Trout, on the other hand, has never won a batting or HR title in his career. He led the AL in RBI's once. Hardly a dominating player like Koufax was in his time.