Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1893 IHC opinions

gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only Indian head cent

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have experience with IHC

I have been witness to arguments here whether blue is a natural color for toned copper.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice strike.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking cent - Weak strike? from the first few feathertips? Everything else is nice and sharp - Net MS64

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive and desirable.

peacockcoins

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

The left field and cheek would limit it. The color may as well.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    I don’t have experience with IHC

I have been witness to arguments here whether blue is a natural color for toned copper.

Looks like MS70 induced blue frost to me.
    That said it’s still attractive, and you have four full diamonds showing.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice detail on that IHC, should garner a 64 IMO... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours wouldn't fit in with my set, it'd be the nicest looking one! If I were to only have one IHC that one would definitely be acceptable.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice diamonds, nice coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Walkerguy21D I just googled MS70 LOL. I am recently back in the hobby after a 25 year or so hiatus. Is MS70 like a dip or is it more like an acetone bath? Does it harm your coins? I don't use anything except acetone on silver coins if they are grungy and dirty.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

It’s more like a soap solution. It doesn’t remove a metal layer, like tarnex or ez est, etc. does. It’s really designed for removing haze and surface contamination on Unc or lightly circulated silver coins. But of course people use it on others as well.
    There are a number of very long threads on this topic, regarding what it does to copper coins. I know via my own R&D that what I’m seeing on your coin looks pretty similar to coins that I know were treated with it.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@Walkerguy21D Thanks for the explanation. Does that keep a coin from straight grading?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say MS-64, Brown. It's a nice coin, just the way I like them. I am not a fan of red copper when it is this age.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was 65 brown

Mr_Spud

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

64BN

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @Walkerguy21D Thanks for the explanation. Does that keep a coin from straight grading?

I’d say it’s a coin toss, but I’ve never submitted any with it. If I had to guess, once upon a time it was probably forgivable, but probably less so now. I do know that a very light coat of Blue Ribbon will cover it up (I think it was Rick Snow that was adamant it doesn’t remove it, just masks it).
    But frankly I think it looks ok as is, and I’d keep it raw. But it could be a good test to throw it in with a group submission and see what happens.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Large and Half Cent EAC guys keep their copper raw and occasionally put a coat of blue ribbon on the coin to keep the copper lustrous from time to time. The fact that the blue is in the protected areas of the coin tells me that it wasn't minted that way. This said, I don't know what is going on in the grading room, but I would think it would be considered market acceptable today.

Coin is hammered, other than those aforementioned feather tips, which I don't think is a big deal in itself. As far as grading is concerned, the small hits on the cheek and neck would be far more limiting than the coin's color. This may keep the coin out of an MS 65 holder. 25 years ago, I bought a 1909 P in an OGH holder that graded PC 5 RD. The coin had a small hit on the O of ONE CENT, but had a clean cheek.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    My only Indian head cent

Love your Indian Cent.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color looked a little off to me but MS70 or some other treatment could be at play. Pretty decent strike for the issue... I'd say MS63 or 64. Lovely piece...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

A nice 63 BN. The toning does hide some of the nicks on the cheek. 4 full diamonds but a little weak on feather tips 1-3.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file