Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The old farts can't stop talking about crypto...

I count three threads on the top page about "cryptocurrency" as the common misnomer is used by the general public. All of them full of misinformation, speculation, uncertainty, doubt, excitement, fear, and out and out lies.

If history gives me any signal about blockchain trading patterns, it is time to take a small profit and pay off initial investments. I'll use my fiat ramp to pad my bank account as I have in the past. If it isn't real to you, that's fine...I want more time to buy at the next bear cycle.

Yeah, too many moms and pops talking about blockchain. I'm getting in the black and buying more hardware for my financial transaction computer that earns me income daily by validating transactions on a financial network capable of complex transactions that current VISA networks cannot.

Comments

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

My farts 💨 are old and I don’t want it. If you’re right and they’re all talking about it then it is too late

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want any investment that I can only afford say 10 shares and it fluxuates thousands of $$ each day. I may never get rich, but will not go broke with just a few shares either.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    I don't want any investment that I can only afford say 10 shares and it fluxuates thousands of $$ each day. I may never get rich, but will not go broke with just a few shares either.

You could buy a billion shares of Shibu. Would that make you feel better?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 1:32PM

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

$FET
    $ENJ
    $MANA
    $CHZ

BOOK IT!!!!!!!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 1:50PM

@Pnies20 said:
    $FET
    $ENJ
    $MANA
    $CHZ

BOOK IT!!!!!!!

$WTH?

(What the heck)

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Pnies20 said:
    $FET
    $ENJ
    $MANA
    $CHZ

BOOK IT!!!!!!!

$WTH?

(What the heck)

Its four different crypto currencies I have invested in.

Also like $XLM

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

cameo nut: some "cryptocurrencies" as you call them, are total scams. similar to wall street scams, crypto space also has crime. but does Bernie Madoff mean that all of Wall Street is a scam and not to pay attention to? it's a good question, not a challenge to your statement.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    I could smell the Werthers Original candy on your breath as you typed that post.

That’s not his breath 💨💨💨💨💨💨

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf No thanks, my neighbor's dogs leave plenty in my yard, PM me and I'll email you a few shares of their gold nuggets. :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather invest in what I know, and the crypto still seem more like speculation than investment. Of course, depending on how you think the markets are manipulated, even US equity indexes might seem risky in the long term... But that's where I keep my nest egg.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:
    I'd rather invest in what I know, and the crypto still seem more like speculation than investment. Of course, depending on how you think the markets are manipulated, even US equity indexes might seem risky in the long term... But that's where I keep my nest egg.

Definition of "speculation": high risk investment.

Isn't paying $1000 for a 1916-D dime AT BEST speculation?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

It depends on whether you are expecting to realize a profit. Some people collect merely for the pride of ownership.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

It depends on whether you are expecting to realize a profit. Some people collect merely for the pride of ownership.

That's why I said "at best". It could also be "conspicuous consumption".

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

Dimes are fairy inconspicuous. Pan-pac pucks, maybe not so much. 😉

• Options

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

All the same size in a holder

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

Heh heh heh...

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

most crypto investors don't fool with blockchain, wallets and digital keys. They buy and sell on the crypto exchanges, Robinhood and Paypal. Easy as trading a stock or ETF with your on line broker.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Relax people we aren't even in the middle of the first chapter of the book (eBook) of crypto.

And it may be longer than The Brothers Karamazov.

• Options

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

Heh heh heh...

Oddest looking pan pac I've ever seen.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

Heh heh heh...

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

Heh heh heh...

Of course, just enjoying the MEGA holder. Now that is conspicuous!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with speculation, especially in a uptrend.

Speculation means do not invest more than you are willing to lose.

Money management and diversification is the key.

• Options
    Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Here is the problem with old farts and them buying in to crypto. I am a older fart and do speculate in crypto. I believe most older people dont because they have everything to lose and truthfully very little to gain except a few more bucks in the bank. You get to a point where your main job is to not lose what you have spent a lifetime of hard work to get. Younger people have less to lose and more to gain as you probably havent accumulated a lot of assets yet and like the idea of making some quick cash. The older people can solve their fear of losing big in the crypto by making small harmless bets and never speculating enough to put your future in jeopardy.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2021 7:02AM

I agree with @Larrob37 and @ErrorsOnCoins on this.
    Never speculate with more than you can afford to lose and it’s good to keep in mind that many older folks don’t necessarily have the cushion of time to make up for speculative losses like the young folds do.
    Many are on fixed incomes with little, if any prospects for growth.
    I’m in my mid-upper 60’s, and have dabbled in crypto currency’s- starting back five or so years ago.
    I ONLY invested what I felt I could afford to lose at THAT time. The same applies to today!
    -Even more so, as I’m no longer working two plus jobs and don’t have time to make up for possible devastating losses.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

Heh heh heh...

Anyone know what that coin weighs?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been following the 'crypto' currency for years... I find it interesting, though I have not ventured into the field. Just based on what I see, there could be difficult times ahead for the economy... and I see some sort of government regulation of crypto's in the future as well. Being a card carrying, certified 'old fart' myself, I have decided to stick with my known, proven and secure financial programs. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I do not have an issue, actually I think it’s smart, with anyone buying a small percentage of their liquid net worth in speculative ventures.
    I had many discussions with various 30 and 40 year olds that are 100% all in on crypto like Bitcoin. No stocks, etfs, index, mutual funds,real estate, cash,…. Etc just 100% crypto.
    Yes, many have made tons of money but they refuse to take ant profits. What worries me is this group of people have the gamblers mentally and they are setting themselves up for a big fall. Hopefully, for their sake I am wrong but my age and battle scars from years of investing and gambling has taught me not to be overly greedy.
    I hope it works out for them.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:

We're almost at a cashless society now.

Bitcoin ATM's are making purchasing paper wallets easier than ever. Funny how you can only purchase with cash.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2021 10:28AM

180mm in diameter and 28mm in width is insane.

When is the US Mint going to make something that big? We can call it a HALF DOLLAR ;)

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ponzi all the way. Sorry been there done that.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I totally agree with you.

But so is the US dollar (and every other fiat currency) and that keeps going too!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I totally agree with you.

But so is the US dollar (and every other fiat currency) and that keeps going too!!

I guess some hucksters are more reliable than others. :D

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know enough about crypto to offer an opinion. It’s my lack of knowledge that keeps me from diving into the crypto pool. I’m content with the investments I’ve made thus far in life.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fast money always seeks a haven or it tends to evaporate. 😎

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

There are over 14,000 different cryptos right now. I think that says it all. Unlimited supply!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CopperWire said:
    I count three threads on the top page about "cryptocurrency" as the common misnomer is used by the general public.

We'll see more threads as PCGS is into this now:

PCGS Press Releases

• Options

@291fifth said:
    After all this my attitude toward crypto has not changed. Have none, want none, accept none. It strikes me as nothing more than a long-running, unregulated financial scheme that is going to suffer the same fate as tulips in the 1600's or Ponzi victims in more recent years. When all a certain multi-billionaire has to do to affect the market is send out a twitter message to his "followers" you know you are in trouble.

The same Twitter phenomenon has moved stocks. Your argument is not a crypto problem but a cult of personality problem.

The Reddit group moved silver futures earlier in the year with the same social media phenomenon.

• Options

@Larrob37 said:
    What strikes me as funny is older folks saying they nothing about and have no desire to learn about or own crypto. That is their right and i respect that but its naive and being closed minded.

Oy! Show some respect! 😜

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file