Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The old farts can't stop talking about crypto...

124»

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an old fart, What's crypto?

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@rec78 said:

It's make believe money that was used by scammers in a Ponzi scheme using the greater fool theory that is now in the final stages of collapse.

Is real money really money anymore?

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why the $2 trillion crypto market crash won't kill the economy.

This really puts it in perspective. Such a loss in such a short time for something that was relatively new means two things to me: PerryHall's use of the term "Ponzi Scheme" rings true, noone will be willing to admit it but people lost a lot of value if not their shirt in the last year.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    Why the $2 trillion crypto market crash won't kill the economy.

i truly hope that is true. it was one of my grave concerns, especially considering what the heck we just went through/are going through. (virus, racial issues etc) made my commentary about this in the other crypto thread.

fwiw, there is/was plenty of money to be made in 2021 (REALLY good) and this year with half the year still left. i've seen so many 2x through 10x+ this year it is amazing, let alone last year. 2021 for anyone in at the beginning with previous investing experience and $5-20k to start with, doing some semi-day trading, WOW. many fortunes were made (and some were lost) for sure one would have taken some losses but if done within a degree of reason, one would have done quite well. i didn't wake up to it until right of the middle of the november spike. (one p2e game was yielding from several hundred to several thousand dollars per day) then after november, everything changed for nearly the entire sector. one major glideslope down.

to be fair, even markets where 5%, 10%, 20% etc are really really good imo. those 2x-10x really gets one out of touch with reality and is obviously NOT sustainable. that is how stablecoins end up crashing. promising unrealistic long-term returns (not to mention people managing the funds that have no business doing so)

ok, tired, yammering. i'm out.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited June 19, 2022 6:59AM

@Rondor said:
    Has anyone considered that us old farts (unless we are rich AF old farts) cannot take the same risks as young people? We simply do not have the time to recover from major reversals. The OP has blinders on.

Risk at 30 years old makes a lot of sense. Not at 62.

the beauty of being rich AF. more capital = less profit % required and therefore less risk.

personally, i'd rather have 10-50 mil to work with at 1-5% with virtually no risk (i woudn't have ALL my capital invested in stocks/crypto etc but a lot in also manufacturing, real estate, tangible goods/services etc) with at least 1/4 untouched as a slow low-yield nest egg with a strong cash reserve sitting idle and available for unique opportunities VS 10k-100k going for 2x, 5x etc because it takes MUCH more talent, risk, discipline etc. imo

once one pays off a house or two, a car or two, get the kids safely/securely into young adulthood, there really aren't any major reasonable expenses that need a big income. (healthcare, security and a couple others aside) especially if large amounts are earning even low-yield.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@rec78 said:

It's make believe money that was used by scammers in a Ponzi scheme using the greater fool theory that is now in the final stages of collapse.

I’m not sure we are in the final stages of collapse yet as there are many people that still seem eager to catch a falling knife. I agree with your sentiment, the ultimate fate of crypto “currencies,” and the rest of your post.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

THis article contains a term I had not heard before: "CRYPTO WINTER."

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/18/bitcoin-price-drops-below-18600-as-sell-off-accelerates.html

Sounds appropriate.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RondorRondor Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/18/bitcoin-price-drops-below-18600-as-sell-off-accelerates.html

Sounds appropriate.

Is Jon Snow going to save us?

• Options
    edited June 19, 2022 7:53PM

@Rondor said:

@CaptHenway said:

Sounds appropriate.

Is Jon Snow going to save us?

hey, he is a Targaryen TYVM! even Drogon confirmed.

wow this thread was unlocked.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2022 10:31AM

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Must be quite a ride. I never have taken, and never will take part in that scheme; it's beyond my ability to adequately assess.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

Physical Silver and nothing else. Executive Order 11110

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old proverb says:

“Easy money flies on wings”

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Sounds appropriate.

I’m guessing it is derived from the phrase nuclear winter in reference to the fallout of a catastrophic event.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭

this go around, I'm investing in liquor, cigarettes, bottled water and boxes of ammo

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot of schadenfreude on the forum, particularly when any new ideas come around that need squashing.

Although I don’t have holdings in crypto (probably because I spend too much time studying coins), I try to keep an open mind about new concepts. And I think that crypto, though flawed, is interesting. I also think news of its demise is a bit premature. If I wasn’t so broke from Hendricks/Fairmont, I might try to grab a little of the BTC falling knife.

But have at it and enjoy your “told you so’s.” From a purely selfish standpoint, I am more interested in what effect BTC’s fall will have on the coin market. ANA in August May be a good barometer.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    acsbacsb Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:
    Big sale going on with crypto. For the old guys who were skeptical when bitcoin was $63,000 last November, is it a good buy now at 19,000? Or will it fall a lot further?

Well, it's worth zero. So, I'm guessing it'll drop a bit more.
    But hey, unicorn f*rts and rainbows!

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    Lot of schadenfreude on the forum, particularly when any new ideas come around that need squashing.

Although I don’t have holdings in crypto (probably because I spend too much time studying coins), I try to keep an open mind about new concepts. And I think that crypto, though flawed, is interesting. I also think news of its demise is a bit premature. If I wasn’t so broke from Hendricks/Fairmont, I might try to grab a little of the BTC falling knife.

But have at it and enjoy your “told you so’s.” From a purely selfish standpoint, I am more interested in what effect BTC’s fall will have on the coin market. ANA in August May be a good barometer.

Agreed. Further, alot of people did make money from crypto. Alot of money. These are people who bought it at $500, $1000 , etc when people called them nuts. Sure the ones who jumped in late have taken a hit (ignoring buy low, sell high)

What i would like to know is how much money was made by those crowing about crypto going down in the last few months----did they own stock? Bonds?

Anyone can sit around and blast others after the fact---those who are ahead of the crowd whether it be crypto , coins or anything else get my admiration.

• Options

crypto/nft are ok, just gotta watch out for:

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crypto synonym:

Ponzi, so no surprise at the latest..................... Or another synonym - scam.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clypto currency where one can get "clipped".

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    edited June 20, 2022 7:21PM

i wonder what the total range of loss would be between, rugs, hacks, collapses (to fractions of a cent per), decline etc?

for me, i do at least 2 categories of loss; investment and equity.

• Options

Scary thing is that all the kiddies that thought crypto was their path to success in life without, you know, doing any actual work, will probably shy away from ANY real investing in the future.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you mine gold from the ground you create new wealth. Not so with crypto currency. Every dollar that one person “made” on a crypto currency came from some other person’s accumulated wealth. It is a zero sum game. For every winner there is a loser.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    When you mine gold from the ground you create new wealth. Not so with crypto currency. Every dollar that one person “made” on a crypto currency came from some other person’s accumulated wealth. It is a zero sum game. For every winner there is a loser.

Not to mention the TOTAL waste of energy...

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Crypto synonym:

Ponzi, so no surprise at the latest..................... Or another synonym - scam.

Agree. It's sad to see there are a few slow learners here are in denial and I don't mean the river in Egypt. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Crypto synonym:

So are US dollars a ponzi scheme?

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but you already knew that. It's interesting that some members are a little upset that others criticize Bitcoin but they don't seem to care that thousands of people have lost a great deal of money, then they want to use cute German words.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

Er, ah, well, the US dollar is backed by all of the economic output (and of course tnotes and debt) in the USA (and global) to trade that output, so........

Whereas, crypto? What backs it? Hmm....

Er, ah, well, not much but some speculators that love to sell snake oil. Is it theoretically possible that a crypto could come along and have honest and pure intentions to be a true mechanism of value exchange but the ponzi pushers seem to have taken control of them so far.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@Gazes said:

Er, ah, well, the US dollar is backed by all of the economic output (and of course tnotes and debt) in the USA (and global) to trade that output, so........

Whereas, crypto? What backs it? Hmm....

Er, ah, well, not much but some speculators that love to sell snake oil. Is it theoretically possible that a crypto could come along and have honest and pure intentions to be a true mechanism of value exchange but the ponzi pushers seem to have taken control of them so far.

So what happens if the US becomes insolvent? Do we have to fight off the foreign debt collectors by our selves?

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭

*Klepto Currency

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Cramer had it nailed from the start: it's a "nothingburger"

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has this been said already?

The entire point of Crypto is to profit off of somebody else's losses.

If you can live with that as a model, well, you'll probably get what's coming to you.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

No, but you already knew that. It's interesting that some members are a little upset that others criticize Bitcoin but they don't seem to care that thousands of people have lost a great deal of money, then they want to use cute German words.

Thousands of people have lost money on dollars, rare coins, gold and stocks... and so...

• Options

@renomedphys said:
    Has this been said already?

The entire point of Crypto is to profit off of somebody else's losses.

If you can live with that as a model, well, you'll probably get what's coming to you.

That is not at all the point of crypto. Some cryptos are tied to actual useful activities. I think more research is in order.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the wheels slowly starting to come off? :o

One of the most prominent crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital has defaulted on a loan worth more than $670 million
    Digital asset brokerage Voyager Digital issued a notice on Monday morning, stating that the fund failed to repay a loan of $350 million in the U.S. dollar-pegged stablecoin, USDC, and another 15,250 bitcoin, worth about $323 million at today's prices.

Read more at:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/27/three-arrows-capital-crypto-hedge-fund-defaults-on-voyager-loan.html

• Options

@vulcanize said:

One of the most prominent crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital has defaulted on a loan worth more than $670 million
    Digital asset brokerage Voyager Digital issued a notice on Monday morning, stating that the fund failed to repay a loan of $350 million in the U.S. dollar-pegged stablecoin, USDC, and another 15,250 bitcoin, worth about $323 million at today's prices.

Read more at:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/27/three-arrows-capital-crypto-hedge-fund-defaults-on-voyager-loan.html

And when a stock hedge fund does the same, is it the end of the stock market?

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recall much of > @jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

Read more at:

These defaults are concerning because the fundamental underpinnings of the tokens are spurious. There are too many and some will fail and which chairs will be there when the music stops?

As Gensler said this am the promoters are saying come hither and the SEC is treating some of these as commodities not securities.

Some people are going to get hurt and that will be shameful.

This is not 2008 when gov came in to save the banks.

• Options

@fathom said:
    Recall much of > @jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

Read more at:

These defaults are concerning because the fundamental underpinnings of the tokens are spurious. There are too many and some will fail and which chairs will be there when the music stops?

As Gensler said this am the promoters are saying come hither and the SEC is treating some of these as commodities not securities.

Some people are going to get hurt and that will be shameful.

This is not 2008 when gov came in to save the banks.

THIS default is one hedge fund that may have been over leveraged. $670 million in a trillion dollar market.

I'd be more concerned about the effect of Russian defaults on hedge funds. But even that is a small number.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 7:34PM

@ChocoboLee said:

" Bitcoin is still the best form of money we have ever seen in history.">

$20 Double eagles were a close second. You could spend them, store your wealth with them, and lastly, collect them as little pieces of treasure and art.

• Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

@ChocoboLee said:

" Bitcoin is still the best form of money we have ever seen in history.">

$20 Double eagles were a close second. You could spend them, store your wealth with them, and lastly, collect them as little pieces of treasure and art.

Yup, agreed. Gold in the form of double eagles is definitely good money.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2022 6:44PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Will have to wait and see.
    The dot com bust of 2000/2001 and the market meltdown of 2008 was a domino effect of many such smaller enterprises going belly up.

Add to it the global shift spearheaded by BRICS (Iran and Argentina have applied to join that bandwagon)

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/brics-working-on-new-global-reserve-currency-and-alternative-mechanism-for-intl-payments-vladimir-putin/articleshow/92407851.cms

Edited to add link :|

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

THIS default is one hedge fund that may have been over leveraged. $670 million in a trillion dollar market.

I'd be more concerned about the effect of Russian defaults on hedge funds. But even that is a small number.

More than the economy of Russia, it would be NATO allies that probably start to get the global markets to be bogged down

Australian bank collapses, customers told to withdraw funds now

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/australian-bank-collapses-customers-told-to-withdraw-funds-now/ss-AAZ3dkw

:o

• Options

this probably isn't the forum to comment on such stuff but i HAVE to say, this is more than i can say for most...

"Volt Bank announced on Wednesday it was closing its deposit taking business and will return its banking license after it couldn't raise enough funds to stay afloat"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file