edited January 31, 2022 11:16PM

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2022 11:18PM

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authenticated and graded Double Reverse Penny!!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2022 5:24PM
  • Options

1926 Peace [Dollar] Crown:

This coin is rather more than scarce.

• Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 years on the throne, not too shabby!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2022 6:24AM

@7Jaguars said:
    Indeed, they did it on field hairlines though. I think this a stunning medal.

Speaking of medals, two from QE II's Jubilee in 1977. The first was later adapted for the gold 1989 sovereign commems, but the second is possibly the finest of all Arnold Machin's bust and done in extremely high relief:

Sweet! What a nice toning on the reverse, that became the obverse of the 1989 gold sovereign!

@jt88 that’s a pretty halfcrown too! 👍🏿

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I am currently researching and collecting the British coins that was issued during the French Revolution and the age of Napoleon. I am not ready to post or publish anything yet, but here’s one of the pieces I purchased recently.

"Two kings, but not a crown." This counterstamped Spanish 8 reales was valued at 4 shilling, 9 pence, 3 pence short of a crown. And yes, "The Bank (of England) to get its coins to pass, stamped the head of a fool on the neck of an ass."

Cool example!
    Does one of these hallmarks look familiar? B)
    (London 1788)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the other type of counterstamp. This one is not quite as nice. It is my understanding that it is rarer.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half Crown

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

"Reduced Sized shilling"

An example of a shilling token issued when Napolean was causing trouble in Europe. It resulted in extensive coin hoarding in England.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

Half Crown

That is a stunner! I absolutely love it. I aspire to have a shilling as nice for my collection.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

Half Crown

A bit like my 6d! :D

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

My two last shilling acquisitions

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BSmith said:

My English collection started as
    one from every Monarch but it expanded a little. :)

I am doing the "one of each monarch" set, but foolishly I am going back as far as possible. I am also including all the Scottish kings. I have around 100 different rulers.

Here are a few Scottish coins:

Penny of John Balliol 1292-1196

Groat of James III 1460-1488

30 Shillings of James VI 1567-1625

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danelaw imitative types:

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭✭

Henry VI trefoil-annulet/annulet issue mule penny

Maximinus II follis struck at the London mint

Edward I 1a farthing struck in debased silver (o.766 fine)

Victoria 1888 Jubilee head groat

Lead splash of the first pattern crown obverse produced after the introduction of the Jubilee Head in 1887, following which she was not amused. Much cheaper than buying one of the 4 known full coins in silver (2 types), and the obverse is the interesting bit because a regular currency reverse was used,

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

1700 Half Crown, PCGS MS63

1912-B Trade Dollar PCGS MS64+

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cocoinut said:
    1700 Half Crown, PCGS MS63

Wow - Great coin congrats.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2022 1:19PM

/Users/ericdawson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/D/D574C31D-B2D0-4E7A-BCB8-91643F72815B_1_105_c.jpeg

Only a slight spoiler:

/Users/ericdawson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/A/A3516C35-65DE-42B7-8155-8DF1D18A6A08_1_105_c.jpeg

GTG if you please.

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭✭

Given it was graded extremely fine in the sale, I'm going to guess unc details (graffiti).

I wondered where that went as McMillan is a gap in my list of attributed designers. Better keep an eye open for no.4 or any others that come to light.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robp2 said:
    Given it was graded extremely fine in the sale, I'm going to guess unc details (graffiti).

I wondered where that went as McMillan is a gap in my list of attributed designers. Better keep an eye open for no.4 or any others that come to light.

I'm not seeing any graffiti on that coin. But this is the first time I'm seeing it. I did not see the sale photos. Is there some re-engraving at the top of the head (under the G)?

Looks MS62-ish to me, unless I am missing something.

• Options

Good spoon the re-engraving. The MODEL reverse or obverse on many of these Patterns seem to feature many traits, the engraving of numbers at the mint, and unfortunately a preservation of planchet issues including pre-strike and post strike contacts of various sorts. The actual pattern (obverse obviously - LOL) actually has very little wear although looks to have accumulated some grime in the devices of the King's portrait and in the lettering. Ear, hair, brow, cheekbone and nose free from hits. Honestly I would have trouble grading this coin. Additionally the engraving is rather sharp and though not of apparent proof quality, better than (IMO) standard currency strike fair; it did not grade specimen but I might have advised that if anybody asked.

• Options

Not a coin, but a token. It's interesting how the issuers went to great lengths to identify themselves and limit how the piece was intended to be used. This was issued during the coin shortage in England that Napoleon caused.