Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DELETE

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

while not technically a coin, these were fun to catalog:

(diameter of each is over six inches across!)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2021 6:16PM

@BillJones — thanks for the nice words. My SCBC 1093 is not a recent acquisition; I bought it online in April 2013 from a hotel room in Waikiki. I agree that of late it’s been hard to find choice pieces in many series.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2021 7:50AM

1887 Double Florin with Roman 1 in date
    Having the same Jubilee portrait and being similar in size to a crown it was nicknamed 'Barmaid's Grief'

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

An Elizabeth I 6 pence with a nice portrait.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2021 9:43PM

1953 Great Britain Halfpenny. Exalted grade of Proof DC67+Red:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Que_sai_je said:
    From one of my favorite series, a portcullis testern struck for the East India Company in 1601 by order of the Queen. Ex E.T. Newell, ex ANS, Ex Morris Geiger. Still attractive despite the clipping. 22 pieces in private hands of both die varieties in private hands according to the latest work on the subject.

Very cool coin and the series. One day... one day...

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

I have always liked this obverse... Nice there young (!!) Rob.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2021 3:44PM

@7Jaguars said:
    It is gold, and that is the grade indeed, Sir. I still contend that the hairlines are planchet issues not all the way struck through after minting though. The ONLY other pattern gold florin has the same hairlines which does not prove anything but supports what I am saying to some extent, also graded 62. I have looked at the coin under 30x magnification on a stereo dissecting scope (I am a physician) and have noted that the margins of most of the "hairlines" are what I would term folded over and not sharp - as they would be with post-strike polish/micro-scratches. I do not see how the devices would not have significant hairlines continuing from the field into and over them, and the hairlines appear to halt at the edges of the devices.

Sorry for running off topic a bit there....

Late to this but those are definitely just standard hairlines. Planchet lines from the rolling process don’t reflect light like that, and actually will run uninterrupted over the devices. Die polish lines would be raised. If there were pre-strike planchet polish lines they would run up against the edges of the devices (ignoring that they would certainly disappear in the striking process anyway).

• Options
    edited December 20, 2021 4:45PM

The latter point is my contention precisely and that on a gold coin the metal will behave much differently. It will "strike out" on the devices which is also precisely what we see. They run up to the devices and not through or into them as these were somewhat lesser in size and depth.
    Please show me where the hairlines (if from cleaning post strike) continue onto or into the devices or lettering. That does not occur, ergo the thesis of post strike polishing would then tend to be ruled out. These lines continue up to the devices and then disappear into them. How would the erstwhile polisher manage just that?
    So then do planchet issues have to be from the rolling process alone? [And these lines are unidirectional with edges of the hairlines folded over into each of their grooves (if you follow me) with all unidirectional, more or less 5 to 11 o'clock]. I think not, and especially if on an extremely limited run of ONE specimen in this alloy. There is no record of just how this was prepared.
    As a sidenote, I want it explained to me how the apparent hairlines go up to devices, including the very fine edges of the shields and then stop with no curving of the lines as they approach the devices as would happen with a let up or turn away of applied friction tool - the whisp and curl away if you will. I have done a lot of stereoscopic dissection and manipulation in the science and medical field (obviously not on coins) and so am explaining from that perspective.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2021 2:57PM

So, with all the hullabaloo about the Wm Wyon Great Engravers re-creations selling at fantastic prices, here is an original two ounce or 18 ducat 1826 Royal Mint gold masterpiece by him, preceding the Una by 13 years.
    The ultra high relief bust of Cicero (double thick NGC holder) was taken from an original Roman marble head owned by the Duke of Wellington. Rare in gold, I could trace only 2-3 others and the British Museum example is in silver.

• Options

Wow, beauty of a different type there.....

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Hi Wybrit,
    The 1877 Farthing is it a circulation strike I couldn't see it in the population list is it recorded, I hope you don't mind me asking.
    cheers deepblue

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Que_sai_je said:
    So, with all the hullabaloo about the Wm Wyon Great Engravers re-creations selling at fantastic prices, here is an original two ounce or 18 ducat 1826 Royal Mint gold masterpiece by him, preceding the Una by 13 years.
    The ultra high relief bust of Cicero (double thick NGC holder) was taken from an original Roman marble head owned by the Duke of Wellington. Rare in gold, I could trace only 2-3 others and the British Museum example is in silver.

62 seems a bit harsh for that beauty!

• Options
    MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2021 5:05PM

1 kilo Queen’s Beast completer coin!

Along with a 1 oz ASE for size comparison.

I LOVE the £500 face value xD

• Options

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2022 12:22PM

My most recent purchase! An interesting type. Made for the Duke of Northumberland, most sites will claim that only 2,000 of these were made for the duke to distribute in Dublin however it seems that the number more likely minted is closer to 100,000 as the royal mint is said to have produced £5,000 worth of shillings in 1763. I would agree with the larger number as well since despite every auction listing it as scarce and rare, it seems there's 2-3 available on the market at any given time. 5 that I know of when this one was auctioned off. These are really great pieces in hand because they are a bit like a small medallete with a relatively high relief portrait and flashy fields. Very few of these exist in below AU grades so it seems their survival rate is high and they were kept and not circulated as readily as other issues.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options

• Options