Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

DELETE

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spade guinea that I purchased on the BST years ago after returning to the USA.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I started this topic some true beautiful coins!!!

• BSmithBSmith Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@Clio said:
    @BSmith that's a lovely group! All shillings? I've been in the market for a nice 1763 for awhile now. Great group of G3. Do you collect mainly his stuff?

Clio, Thanks. Yes, it's a group of shillings, I'm trying to get all the Hanover portraits. My English collection started as
    one from every Monarch but it expanded a little. :)

• ClioClio Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BSmith nice! I am doing a very similar set. I'll share a few of mine soon. Just doing one Shilling per monarch.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the small pic, but this coin is actually a crown or 5/- dated 1707 and minted in Edinburgh - basically the first coin of the United Kingdom of Great Britain since this coin was minted right after the Act of Union of 1707. One of the agreed upon acts was that Scotland would retain a mint in Edinburgh in perpetuity. And actually did until 1816, but only officially with a mintmaster etc. But the last coins were struck in Edinburgh in 1709 and the mint functioned as little more than a formality for over 100 years.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

My precious!

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@Cucumbor Nice group! Love seeing a bit of hammered, classics, and the modern. Always liked that shield design.

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gaming tokens:

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 7:30AM

Btw a 1887 crown in PCGS 66 went for over $9300 in a Heritage recent auction

Pop 1

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to know who is buying at that level? Beautiful design with however a number saved in superior preservation.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

I love the 1804 cameo!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • @robp2 said:
    One niche interest of mine is the Saxon mints of Somerset.

That is an amazing collection. If that’s your niche interest, I can’t imagine your main interest!

• robp2robp2 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭

@JohnConduitt said:

@robp2 said:
    One niche interest of mine is the Saxon mints of Somerset.

That is an amazing collection. If that’s your niche interest, I can’t imagine your main interest!

Thanks.

My main interest is as outlined in the 10 ways to be a better collector thread - British from Celtic through to the present day. However, I will choose to fill a Somerset mint gap over another as it's where I was born. Due to the problem of duplication, I have represented some mints with later issues. Taunton will hopefully be a Henry I and Bruton an early Edward the Confessor type for the same reason. Frome is represented by an EdC small flan type. There is too much rare mint congestion in Cnut's types, and William I PAXS is also problematic. I still have a long way to go.

As the main thing I am trying to do is not duplicate designs wherever possible, it means there are Hobson's Choice pieces for certain boxes. The easier to acquire and typically commoner bits will be filled in at a later date, when more of the scarce/rare items have been obtained. Some duplication is inevitable as a few mints are only known for one type, or at least only one type is available, e.g. Cadbury and Cissbury are both represented by last small cross.

• deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Excellent 1981 Great Britain Proof set good to see someone else on the Great Britain Decimal Sets.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deepblue30 said:
    Excellent 1981 Great Britain Proof set good to see someone else on the Great Britain Decimal Sets.

Thanks, I see you dominate the proof set category on the registry. Do you live in the states?

• deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

No mate down under Australia

edited November 26, 2021 10:51AM

Here is one that is not everybody's taste but is 99% of the coin that a satin specimen of this year is, and IMO under graded for issue as these come simply awful for handling, wear, etc.(not that it matters). The luster is really something in hand:

Darn it, the focus sucks....

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Here is one that is not everybody's taste but is 99% of the coin that a satin specimen of this year is, and IMO under graded for issue as these come simply awful for handling, wear, etc.(not that it matters). The luster is really something in hand:

Darn it, the focus sucks....

I have much respect for those when they look like that. 👍
    Same with the Ike dollar, in high grade they are impressive.

• Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2021 3:08PM

@bidask said: Re 2 X 1804 bank dollars

Note the different orientation of bust to legend between the MS and Cam PF,. The CAM PF has top laurel pointing to center of "E". Also, note the "K" for Kuchler on reverse is incorrectly punched. These are early SOHO restrikes, post 1810, the year Kuchler died, he would certainly not have prepared dies with his own initial upside down and backwards.
    Lastly, NGC sometimes mistakenly calls obvious proofs from original die pairs MS because they are not cameo. However, as far as I know, none of these are. All cameo proofs I have seen referenced have this orientation from recreated dies, though some do have the "K" on reverse in proper orientation.

• BSmithBSmith Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@Clio said:

This is a collection I have been working on of Shillings by Monarch. I was hoping to save up and try and buy @Weiss 's 1697 but a friend asked for me and I don't think he's every letting it go :'( Awesome pieces here all around folks. Really been enjoying seeing the posts.

Clio, very nice group of shillings. They all have nice eye appeal and look good together as a collection.
    If you ever decide to sell the James l, let me know.

edited November 27, 2021 10:18AM

Ordinary date florin, but I like it:

PS - I believe the "hairlines" are actually on the planchet and do NOT go through the devices. This coin IMO under graded but GTG based on the reverse if you'd like.

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Not as nice as some of the older ones, but just showed up in today’s mail

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 12:43PM

Consider posting the obverse on the 1922 Florin... Are you sure the reverse just is not die polish?

Edited to add... after a more careful look, the lines do not look raised so that does not seem likely

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited November 28, 2021 1:30PM

Yes, I agree they are not raised. What I noticed is the "polish" or hairlines disappear into the devices. From looking at some of the "MODEL" obverse and reverse patterns of the 20th C. and the rarer matte coins, I believe that the planchets were not well treated and esp on gold and even silver this phenomenon tends to exist. I believe then that these are planchet "preparation" (or crude treatment of more precisely) lines present before strike and not all are not struck out in areas of lesser die pressure such as the fields or flatter device areas; the reverse has few of these because of the design. Look carefully and I would imagine you might agree.
    You may note that this is no ordinary florin (even though the date is, but in currency silver) BTW and is in fact struck in gold and a proof to boot - this was featured in Graham Dyer's monograph on gold pattern florins and half crowns of the 1920s.
    I will get pictures of the obverse but coin is obviously locked up and away.

• @7Jaguars said:
    Yes, I agree they are not raised. What I noticed is the "polish" or hairlines disappear into the devices. From looking at some of the "MODEL" obverse and reverse patterns of the 20th C. and the rarer matte coins, I believe that the planchets were not well treated and esp on gold and even silver this phenomenon tends to exist. I believe then that these are planchet "preparation" (or crude treatment of more precisely) lines present before strike and not all are not struck out in areas of lesser die pressure such as the fields or flatter device areas; the reverse has few of these because of the design. Look carefully and I would imagine you might agree.

I don’t know if it was particularly poor treatment, as all planchets were reduced to the correct size in a way that left parallel marks. They were, though, supposed to disappear when the coin was struck.

Before mechanisation, planchets were filed by hand and you get some big scrapes (‘adjustment marks’) on coins from the 1700s.

Yes, indeed. I have been looking at this phenomenon and have discovered it on some circulation strikes as well - what looks like marks are indeed marks but not struck out all the way and seen on high points so make them look as though they have circulated.
    There are definitely some borderline cases where actual post-strike wear can not be separated. I was trying to point out that it is a misconception that ALL planchet prep marks (or sometimes LACK of prep) are struck out. They do tend to be in areas of higher strike pressure. I am sure that Dan Carr may have a thing or so to say about this.

@7Jaguars said:
    Ordinary date florin, but I like it:

PS - I believe the "hairlines" are actually on the planchet and do NOT go through the devices. This coin IMO under graded but GTG based on the reverse if you'd like.

Interesting piece. Looks nearly gold from your image. What is the grade? Hard to guess with the weird planchet. Otherwise I would've said 62.

It is gold, and that is the grade indeed, Sir. I still contend that the hairlines are planchet issues not all the way struck through after minting though. The ONLY other pattern gold florin has the same hairlines which does not prove anything but supports what I am saying to some extent, also graded 62. I have looked at the coin under 30x magnification on a stereo dissecting scope (I am a physician) and have noted that the margins of most of the "hairlines" are what I would term folded over and not sharp - as they would be with post-strike polish/micro-scratches. I do not see how the devices would not have significant hairlines continuing from the field into and over them, and the hairlines appear to halt at the edges of the devices.

Sorry for running off topic a bit there....

I rather like this one, the seeming hairlines are on the plastic. GTG if you please on this one....

Can't compete with that!

Three Civil War coins struck at York in 1642-3. A halfcrown, shilling and sixpence respectively. Sorry, no threepence.

Wow, very nice. The reverse of the 6d looks prooflike...

I presume you mean the shilling? The fields on that are brilliant, but doesn't fully show because the flan is a bit wobbly. It's a recurring issue with hammered coins. They were cut out of the strip using a 'pastry cutter' as you can see the same marks on the edge for a given punch. However, they appear to get stuck in the hole sometimes, requiring a bit of force to remove them. This I believe accounts for the 2 dimples on the sixpence reverse and to a lesser extent the shilling, because neither exhibits much wear. The shilling has little more than cabinet friction and is affected less due to the thicker flan.

I originally bid on that coin in St. James's 3, but Mark Teller bought it for £4K all in. It resurfaced in Goldbergs 2007 slabbed as MS63 so I bid the same as I was willing to go a couple years previously and was underbidder on the day due to a higher reserve, but presumably the vendor viewed this as the best he would get and I was subsequently invoiced at my maximum. :) Thankfully, someone I spoke to thought it wasn't worth bidding on due to the distortion. I don't have a problem with production issues that are idiosyncratic for the techniques used at the time.

yes shilling of course!

• Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2021 6:38PM

Not the finest specimen but nearly as rare as hen's teeth. Emergency money issued by the British Lord Justices of Ireland during the Great Rebellion, formerly known as "Lord Inchiquin's money". Denominated by weight on cut bits of requisitioned house silver. C,f, excellent synopsis by DNW re: a gold pistole of same ilk couple of years back. The crown was 19 dwt 8 grains. Literally a handful still exist outside of museums, I found only 5 distinct examples auctioned in Continental Europe the past 20 years and none in the rest of the world. Latest a VF at DNW for a bit over US$9K all in 2021 and since sold privately for more.

A quick trip back to the earliest numismatic items from Britain.

A Gallo-Belgic gold quarter stater from some time after 150BC with geometric designs

From around the same time, a cast potin unit that was produced mainly in Kent dated to c.120-100BC. Allegedly a head on one side and a bull the other, but it takes a bit of imagination.

Moving forward over 100 years to the period leading up to the Roman invasion of Britain in AD43 there are many issues from the various tribal regions, including this Catuvellauni silver unit featuring the name SEGO, which is thought to be either a rival for the throne, or an under-ruler of Tasciovanus

Another one from the Catuvellauni, Epaticcus is thought to be a son of Tasciovanus. The workmanship on this boar's head minim is remarkable given the 8mm diameter.

No post would be complete without including an example of the Iceni tribe, who under Boudicca revolted against the Romans. A Saenu unit featuring the crescent moons and horse which adorn many issues of this time and area.