Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit Gold Eagles

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have never guessed that my 2010-w $10 (one each via NGC AND PCGS) and a 2012-w $25 NGC. All of them had what looked like correct hologram stickers on the back. The two that were NGC had holders with large clearance between the coin and the white plastic on the holder. The easiest tell is Gauden’s initials on the front. The counterfeit is clearly not AG, but a mish mash. The initials on the back of the coins have what looks like a different font, close but not correct. The easiest tell is the AG.

I want to thank Kliao and ifthevamzarockin for pointing out the problems with the coins. There are other issues with the coins and holders, but the AG clinched it for me.

Potential counterfeit

Good coin

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I’ll bite. Where did you get these coins at?

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2021 9:17PM

Sorry :'(

More photos of both sides of all coins may help others learn what to look for. ;)

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no question that the first is no good. All the details are wrong.

• Options

eBay! I have been able to go back and find the seller that sold me the $25 gold coin. I will make this my mission tomorrow.

• Options

Of course the coin that was sold to me, wasn’t the coin that was delivered!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post pics of both sides of all coins

And

Both sides of the slabs

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, sorry to hear about this. Have you checked the coins for material content?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

I will provide further answers and photos. I need to get the process moving for getting my money back with eBay/PayPal.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! Keep us posted as we all benefit from this situation. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I had to break the bad news but hopefully it ends out well for you and you get your money back.

The fake labels on those coins were pretty good in my opinion and would have fooled me.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Sorry to hear this.... Buying gold is risky, and when not evaluated in hand, very risky. Seems you were scammed with the switch. Good luck with the process... Hope you get your money back. Cheers, RickO

• Options

These are the three suspected eBay sellers that sold me the counterfeit coins.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope eBay comes to the rescue for you.
    Let us know the outcome.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    Hope eBay comes to the rescue for you.
    Let us know the outcome.
    Wayne

eBay sure doesn’t make it easy. Had to do a lot of digging!

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details on that counterfeit are extremely mushy. I’m sure the seller was hoping you would just put it away with only a cursory inspection. Good luck on the resolution - I’m sorry this happened to you.

• Options
  • Options

@J2035 said:
    Details on that counterfeit are extremely mushy. I’m sure the seller was hoping you would just put it away with only a cursory inspection. Good luck on the resolution - I’m sorry this happened to you.

And they were right! I decided I needed more room for coins and that meant getting rid of duplicates that I had…it was only the keen eyes of some fellow forum members that turned this up. I will stay after this until I get a resolution. I sent messages to the 3 sellers. What is probably a coincidence, but all 3 of them had feedback in the 120 range…+/-1!

• Options

If you used a credit card to pay you may have better luck with them rather than ebay.

• Options

Would you mind sending pictures of the entire slab(s)? I'd like to use it as examples and challenges in my facebook group. Thank you and sorry it happened to you. The first pic posted is clearly NG.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, another reason to buy expensive coins (to me at least) from face to face with a dealer or from a known credible source (BST comes to mind, for most of us).
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

• Options

@Pre33goldbug said:
    Would you mind sending pictures of the entire slab(s)? I'd like to use it as examples and challenges in my facebook group. Thank you and sorry it happened to you. The first pic posted is clearly NG.

Posted

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Good luck, another reason to buy expensive coins (to me at least) from face to face with a dealer or from a known credible source (BST comes to mind, for most of us).
    bob :)

• Options

Any chance of getting reverse slab shots too? ;)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

got a Sigma?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2021 4:31PM

Look at the face closely. It's definitely off. Even the hair details are off.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

That top one reminds me of a ghost :/

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does PCGS take an active role in stomping on counterfeit PCGS slabs?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Any chance of getting reverse slab shots too? ;)

Sent to you

• Options

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2021 5:18PM

No need for a sigma, additional pics, where did you purchase from etc. If you cant quickly tell they are fake from the original pic you have no business buying PMs unless you like to be suckered out of $$$ IMO. Hope you sire (the op) recovers your lost funds.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

The NGC labels look like they were made on a cheap copy machine. That’s the easy tell.

The pcgs counterfeit holder is quite deceptive but has subtle tells that I won’t disclose. I’ll only say to examine every detail with a genuine one.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2021 7:14PM

@J2035 said:

How can you be “sure” about what the seller knew or hoped?

Edited to add: ...other than through the post below this one.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

For all the folks saying the OP should have spotted a problem.

I did a little research on the $10 NGC.
    It was sold using a photo of the genuine coin & holder.
    The seller sold 2 of these within a few days.
    The seller went out of their way to deceive and anyone here could have been a victim of this well played scam.

Listing photo

• Options

@MFeld said:

@J2035 said:

My understanding is that the seller posted a legitimate coin and photos for sale and sent the OP a a different coin which was fake. Seems pretty clear cut case of fraud Mark. Are you defending the sellers actions? If so, why?

Of course it could happen to anyone - the photos posted were legitimate… I don’t think anyone is blaming the victim.

• Options

@J2035 said:

@MFeld said:

@J2035 said:

My understanding is that the seller posted a legitimate coin and photos for sale and sent the OP a a different coin which was fake. Seems pretty clear cut case of fraud Mark. Are you defending the sellers actions? If so, why?

Of course it could happen to anyone - the photos posted were legitimate… I don’t think anyone is blaming the victim.

Of course I’m not defending the seller’s actions or blaming the victim. Were your questions serious?
    My understanding is the same as yours, now, but it wasn’t at the time of your post, to which I replied.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2021 8:11PM

@MFeld - Only partially serious. I interpreted that you thought I was blaming OP - which I am not.

I was also confused why you might think this case is anything other than fraud after OP stated, “Of course the coin that was sold to me, wasn’t the coin that was delivered!” prior to either of our posts.

Anyway, the dangers of internet commenting. Cheers!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    No need for a sigma, additional pics, where did you purchase from etc. If you cant quickly tell they are fake from the original pic you have no business buying PMs unless you like to be suckered out of $$$ IMO. Hope you sire (the op) recovers your lost funds.

I think the Sigma will let him know if these are gold counterfeits or counterfeits made of some other material.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@J2035 said:
    @MFeld - Only partially serious. I interpreted that you thought I was blaming OP - which I am not.

I was also confused why you might think this case is anything other than fraud after OP stated, “Of course the coin that was sold to me, wasn’t the coin that was delivered!” prior to either of our posts.

Anyway, the dangers of internet commenting. Cheers!

Sorry for the misunderstanding - I didn’t think for even a moment, that you were blaming the OP. And I initially missed “Of course the coin that was sold to me, wasn’t the coin that was delivered!”. That was my fault.

• Options

I have found 2 of the 3 charges. I have talked to the cc company and they opened up disputes for them. I am still trying to find the method I used to purchase the third coin. I will keep looking.

• Options

@Herb_T said:
    I have found 2 of the 3 charges. I have talked to the cc company and they opened up disputes for them. I am still trying to find the method I used to purchase the third coin. I will keep looking.

That sounds encouraging. Best of luck.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were a rash of these floating around in NC a few years ago, several dealers here got scammed

Jim

One of the dealers here, (no longer in business) had called me over to look at a few , I instantly detected the fakes, he had no clue, had bought like 15-20 of them

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    There were a rash of these floating around in NC a few years ago, several dealers here got scammed

Jim

One of the dealers here, (no longer in business) had called me over to look at a few , I instantly detected the fakes, he had no clue, had bought like 15-20 of them

Ouch!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins themselves are an easy giveaway, but that PCGS slab is a pretty convincing fake.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:

Jim

Did he ever get the opportunity to determine metal content?

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look plated to me, but not sure of under metal.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:

Agree. It wouldn't make sense to use real gold to counterfeit a modern gold eagle. Probably gold plated brass. The slab keeps it from being easily weighed and most people don't have ready access to a Sigma analyzer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@jdimmick said:

Agree. It wouldn't make sense to use real gold to counterfeit a modern gold eagle. Probably gold plated brass. The slab keeps it from being easily weighed and most people don't have ready access to a Sigma analyzer.

Agree. You see real gold with coins that have a premium. At best, thick plating on a bullion coin or bar

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Color me confused. Why buy graded bullion on ebay? Factoring in ebay's fee would make the final cost high let alone the risk factor of 1) unknown seller 2) eBay 3) shipping.

Have a nice day

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file