Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins or Shoes?

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter collects sneakers.
    I collect coins.
    I think the sneaker market is driven due to a much more limited amount available when released.
    Add to that a Super Star signature on a game worn pair and the availability diminishes more.
    Oh well!
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The whole used shoe collectible market mystifies me. I wouldn't pay a dime for any of them.

I would definitely pay a dime for sneakers I could resell for $1.47M.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found an old shoe in the parking lot, is it valuable? It is green was kind of a funny wavy line through two of the eyelets.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoes disintegrate over time so it’s an asset that will leave you in pieces…

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you clone a new super star from the DNA contained in the fabric? :D
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last of the big spenders

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take the coin over someone's old sneakers. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about shoes 👞 or a bug in a holder 🦗 ?

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any vintage shoes that are valuable collectors items, or just modern stuff. If the latter, then most likely a fad like beanie babies where the high prices are temporary. Sort of like mint products that sell out, price goes high and the flippers profit and the buyers get buried if they hold long term.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    edited October 30, 2021 12:16PM

I just did an eBay search on “antique shoes” completed auctions and the highest price I saw was for these shoes from the 60s, most others were going between $10 and $50

Mr_Spud

• Options

I bet MJ never wore those............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

No thank you and I am also mystified by people paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for old video games from the 1980s.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

And it would be a crying shame because of taking all the steps to foot the cost :smile:

• Options
    edited October 30, 2021 12:54PM

@TurtleCat said:

Then reminding you of this is not going to go over to well. When the Sun goes nova your coins will not do so well. Your gold coins will survive as a base element but I don’t think they will slab any longer.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@TurtleCat said:

Then reminding you of this is not going to go over to well. When the Sun goes nova your coins will not do so well. Your gold coins will survive as a base element but I don’t think they will slab any longer.

But that won’t be for billions of years the shoes will disintegrate in a couple of decades. Big difference…

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@TurtleCat said:

Our Sun is not going to go Nova, not a big enough star to do that. It will undergo an expansion in about 4 billion years and engulf the Earth. Still will destroy it though. Doubt any of us, or our coins, or shoes, will be around when it happens.

Best, SH

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@JimTyler said:

@TurtleCat said:

But that won’t be for billions of years the shoes will disintegrate in a couple of decades. Big difference…

You are right but that still doesn’t give me enough time to break even.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@TurtleCat said:

Actually, many of the sneakers people collect will start showing disintegration within 5 years.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/sneakers/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 2:06PM

@TurtleCat said:

@JimTyler said:

@TurtleCat said:

Actually, many of the sneakers people collect will start showing disintegration within 5 years.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/sneakers/

It's like collecting medals made of tin or white metal!

Wait a minute....

... d"Oh!

• Options

Maybe we should shoot a rocket into space with some coins and shoes in it in a sterile time capsule with either a vacuum or an inert gas surrounding them to preserve them so they will survive.🤔

Nah, some asteroid will probably wipe them out anyway

Mr_Spud

• Options

Coins are easier to slab and store. Need too big a deposit box for the shoes, and it's hard to find the right kind of albums for your collection.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

People collect all sorts of different things. The same principals of coin collecting (or any collecting really) goes towards shoe collecting: rarity, historical significance, condition, etc. My local museum has a display dedicated to Native American moccasins. There are dedicated shoe museums and textile museums, museums of design and manufacturing. I don't think collecting shoes is a far flung idea, or anything particularly new for that matter. It's just been gaining more widespread popularity, and getting a lot of publicity lately.

Which is a better investment? As in investment of money or time? Because if a person with no interest in coins enjoys collecting shoes (...or sports memorabilia ...which is probably the primary driving force in the sale price of OP's example), it would be a waste of time to collect something in which they have no interest.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    My ex-wife says shoes. You should see her closet. :D

My current wife, you should see her closet!! 😁

Ken
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer coins. But with these sneakers I get it. Hero worship. Newman’s 1792 Eagle is worth big bucks because it may have been owned by George Washington. He may have also handled the 1794 Specimen Dollar. How much would you pay for the coins in Lincoln’s pocket the night he was assassinated? How much for the guitar Hendrix played at Woodstock? If Jordan is your hero, and you just made millions in cryptocurrency practically overnight, why not?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    [I bet MJ never wore those............]

Looks more like something Rodman would wear!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years back I was just browsing in a sneaker story by Union Square, NYC and they had a bunch of collectible sneakers. The most expensive was a pair of custom Nikes made for Kanye that he never used for $100K.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

What brand of sneakers did Washington wear at Valley Forge? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have long since stopped being surprised by what people collect.... Including belly button lint and beanie babies. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 1, 2021 7:24AM

@Namvet69 said:

They seem to be boots. Not sure about the brand.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/winter-valley-forge

• Options

I will say in the short term for moderns, shoes way more than coins. Modern coins are going for nowhere near that amount.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seem to remember the “Ruby slippers” from the Wiz did pretty well 🐈

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:

@Oldhoopster said:
    My ex-wife says shoes. You should see her closet. :D

My current wife, you should see her closet!! 😁

If my wife's shoes could fit in a closet I would be happy. Her shoes have taken over the entire house.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@Namvet69 said:

The founding fathers wanted New Balance for all of America.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2021 2:19PM

Both!

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be candid, I've gotten far more value from pairs of running shoes I've used over the years than some coin purchases I wish I did not make.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2021 2:59PM

@Elcontador said:
    To be candid, I've gotten far more value from pairs of running shoes I've used over the years than some coin purchases I wish I did not make.

True story - Not too long ago I purchased some sneakers that were supposedly for walking on the beach. They were ok but my socks kept getting dirty. Then one day I walked with them in the rain and my feet got wet. I found out they were designed for surfers and they had tiny drain holes built in the bottom of them to let water out. I never wore them again because they are pretty much useless. I should have spent the money on a coin 😉

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I just did an eBay search on “antique shoes” completed auctions and the highest price I saw was for these shoes from the 60s, most others were going between $10 and $50

Try searching for Babe Ruth's cleats rather than"antique shoes".

Jeez...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Are there any vintage shoes that are valuable collectors items, or just modern stuff. If the latter, then most likely a fad like beanie babies where the high prices are temporary. Sort of like mint products that sell out, price goes high and the flippers profit and the buyers get buried if they hold long term.

Circa 1934 Lou Gehrig Game Worn Bronzed Spike.... https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/others/circa-1934-lou-gehrig-game-worn-bronzed-spike/a/7080-80076.s

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get the shoe deal... especially the bright neon colored ones that look like a clown on acid, but I doubt the shoe people would get the coin deal either....

• Options

I prefer shoes (boots) as the investment for wintertime in Ohio - duct taping Silver Dollars to my feet doesn't help to get the snow shoveled! :#

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

No But MJ feeds the hunger

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@spacehayduke said:

No But MJ feeds the hunger

Holy Moley - A "Shape Shifter" - being in 2 places at once????

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    I don't get the shoe deal... especially the bright neon colored ones that look like a clown on acid, but I doubt the shoe people would get the coin deal either....

I got some new sneakers from a guy on the corner this morning. I don't know what he laced them with, but I've been tripping all day...

• Options
    edited November 1, 2021 7:53PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Try searching for Babe Ruth's cleats rather than"antique shoes".

Jeez...

I searched completed auctions on eBay for Babe Ruth’s cleats and there was zero results.

Then I googled Babe Ruth’s cleats and found that his granddaughter was going to auction off Babe Ruth’s Cleats but a different result said they ended up being donated to a Baseball Hall of Fame. I’m not sure if they were the same pair though.

Then I googled “how much are Babe Ruth’s cleats worth” and found this website selling Babe Ruth cleats https://www.x90sports.com/index.php?route=product/category&cid=178&cname=babe+ruth+cleats and they seem to be going for about $70 to $75 a pair. Some are autographed and in display cases for that price. I can’t tell if they are real or counterfeits though. The fact that they let you pick whatever shoe size makes me suspicious 🤔

I think I’ll stick with coins🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@mannie gray said:

I got some new sneakers from a guy on the corner this morning. I don't know what he laced them with, but I've been tripping all day...

Nice multiple pun-laced post @moursund ! 😆

• Options

Imagine having a silver medal commemorating a shoe? ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file