Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection Part 8 of 21 (1885-CC - 1886-O)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 28, 2021 7:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

OK, here’s the last group from Box 2.

The 85-CC has the third lowest mintage in the entire series (after the 93-S and 94) and is the rarest Morgan in circulated grades. Fortunately, they are extremely available in mint state as well as PL/DMPL. Ultra deep cameos are rare though, and this one is the least deep of my run from 81-85 (although that says more about those coins than this one). I bought this and the 81-CC at the same time.

1885-CC MS64DMPL

1885-O is the last of the common O-mints until 1898 and one of the most frequently encountered dates in the entire series with outstanding toning. I have four for the date that I love but this one, on color alone, is the best in my Morgan collection.

1885-O MS64+ CAC

The 85-S is an in-between coin. Nowhere near as rare in MS as the 84-S and kind of forgotten, along with the rest of the S mint coins in the 1880s after 1882. They are all surprisingly hard to find but the 83, 85, and 86 are generally well struck with good luster when you do. PLs are hard and DMPLs are quite rare for all but the 1888-S. What I love about this date and mintmark in particular is that it would have been the current dollar during the setting of Back To The Future III. These are truly pieces of the old west!

1885-S MS63PL

1886 Morgans are one of the most available dates with nice toning and several hundred gorgeous examples came out of the Battle Creek Hoard (along with 1887). I do have a BC coin as well that I honestly think is a better toner than the following coin but 1) this one beat out that one in my Instagram poll and 2) this is the higher graded coin and I generally choose those for inclusion in my set.

1886 MS65+ CAC

Alright, the second coin in this box which is a real challenge to locate. The 86-O is a major rarity in high grades and examples are often ugly and weakly struck. The pop in PL and DMPL combined is only 24 (all of which makes the Wayne Miller 67DMPL example so amazing). I have never found one with color, although I do see a decent one on CoinFacts. I think my coin has exceptional eye appeal for the grade. It basically looks like a 64 would for most dates with nice luster, a good strike and no distracting marks.

1886-O MS62

Here's a link to the prior thread (it was getting to be too many to list them all).
Part 7

Please share some Morgans of your own!

Tagged:

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file