Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1858 gold $1

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this for my 1858 business strike set. PCGS MS63. Nothing spectacular, but I like it. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

If you want to see the rest of the set, here it is:
https://ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/49889/

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geeper's that's a pretty coin. I love gold and believe it or not I'm going to sell......I know I keep saying it,
    but I want to sell and do numismatic gold set. Not sure how it will turn out but I look more forward to it as you have inspired me.
    I clicked and went through you set......its beautiful

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the population of that date. It’s actually quite scarce compared to many others. I have one in AU58

Nice coin!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

you goy a good thing, hang onto it

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looker. For some reasons nice gold dollars are hard to come by these days.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    Geeper's that's a pretty coin. I love gold and believe it or not I'm going to sell......I know I keep saying it,
    but I want to sell and do numismatic gold set. Not sure how it will turn out but I look more forward to it as you have inspired me.

The prettiest Type III Gold Dollars are the pieces from the 1880s. The mintages were low, and many of the coins were struck with fresh dies that had much of polishing remaining. "Back in the day" people had a hard time telling the Proof and Mint State pieces apart.

The 1858 gold dollars are nice. To me the least attractive pieces were from the the 1873 and 1874 issues. The dies were pushed to their limits, and the coins are often not that attractive.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin and set @Skyman.... Good luck with the project. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just lovely and quite special enough for me.
    WTG

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@coinsarefun said:

The prettiest Type III Gold Dollars are the pieces from the 1880s. The mintages were low, and many of the coins were struck with fresh dies that had much of polishing remaining. "Back in the day" people had a hard time telling the Proof and Mint State pieces apart.

The 1858 gold dollars are nice. To me the least attractive pieces were from the the 1873 and 1874 issues. The dies were pushed to their limits, and the coins are often not that attractive.

Thanks Bill!! I'm bookmarking this and keep it on file for when I start putting together something

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins in your set.
    Thanks for the link.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

great looking coin, skyman! Hard to improve on that one as far as eye appeal

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice looking coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file