Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No Denomination Buffalo Nickel - Error or Variety?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 13, 2021 4:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This has a cud from a die chip, but it's very distinctive.

Is this a known variety? Or just an error?

Are the photos of any other specimens? I'd love to see one in mint state!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting coin... I have not seen any others. Sure stayed in circulation for a long time. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a whopper of a cud!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

It still amazed at some of the real oddities one finds in the hobby. Some so spot on it almost makes you believe that it was man made rather than just wear or a breakdown of the dies or press.
    The cud error has alway eluded me, in my searching of bags and rolls.
    I wish now that I had of saved a few of my better finds. But I will admit that errors as such still so exciting to find and see.
    Especially the circulated coins that have bounced from pocket to pocket for decades before someone tahes a look and realizes that they found a new variety or error.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date is surprisingly strong for a coin with that much wear!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

This is a known variety. I have one in my collection but I don't have it imaged. I have only seen others in low grades. Here is another on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304151054509?hash=item46d0d0c8ad:g:VLkAAOSwgApXCTmp&nma=true&si=%2BjVqgmlyu2OmlW%2BzbtBof0IJyp0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-Paul

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2021 6:21AM

This is a known variety. I have one in my collection but I don't have it imaged. I have only seen others in low grades. Here is another on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304151054509

-Paul

Nice info!

Do you know the variety designation?

If they are all in low grades, perhaps no one cared about these enough to save them over the years?

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The date is surprisingly strong for a coin with that much wear!

Perhaps the lack of strike pressure at the upper obverse caused a stronger strike on the lower portion? I once had a dateless example with a cud of equal size on the upper obverse die. Maybe the date was weakly struck as a result.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it could be a slightly later die state of CU-5c-1920-01R as listed on Cuds on Coins

Pic from the link

http://cuds-on-coins.com/buffalo-or-indian-head-nickel-cud/

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda like it

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bison on the hill. lol
    Very interesting find.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a collectible die variety that resulted from a die error. So, both.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster
    Thanks for the Cud info page.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Zoins said:
    This has a cud from a die chip, but it's very distinctive.

Is this a known variety? Or just an error?

Are the photos of any other specimens? I'd love to see one in mint state!

There is a photo of one in David Lange's book on buffalo nickels that may be the very same one. I will check the book once I get back from school :#

Young Numismatist

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buffalo Nickel Cuds are quite scarce, I've found.

I've never seen a cud on them above VF or so.

Never heard or seen a Mint state Buff Cud.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat variety. Though listed as 1920 Philadelphia... could be a D or S.... now way to tell!

----- kj
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Page 117 of David Langes' "The complete guide to Buffalo Nickels" has a picture of this coin.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t care very much for error coins but this one the OP is showing I find interesting.
    Thanks for sharing it.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that be a cud.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, like Joe just posted. Very eye catching and beautiful. It's such in a perfect spot. It's like the Mint placed it there, precisely.
    :DB)<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

What appears to be excessive wear on the reverse is accentuated by a very eroded reverse die. This leads me to believe it's from Denver or San Francisco.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've only ever really seen this die state that i recall. i've seen a good handful or so.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2021 11:12AM

@koynekwest said:
    What appears to be excessive wear on the reverse is accentuated by a very eroded reverse die. This leads me to believe it's from Denver or San Francisco.

@koynekwest said:

Might even be from San Francisco, given the way the die was basined. Kind of has that "roll" to it.

It's also clashed, so no doubt the die cracked until after the clash marks were removed.

Late die state.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

That it is, Pete. If I were to guess I'd put my money on a 1920-S, too.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite a cud for a buffalo - have never seen that example in person.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Young Numismatist

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for the info. I was blissfully unaware of such a coin in existence. :)

• Options

I would call it a die stage variety.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file