Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How may people display coins in their home?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2021 7:48PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I know someone that has a curio cabinet showing off coins in their living room. How many people have displays like this?

Imagine having just one of the following cabinets in your living room or office?

Photos courtesy of @skier07.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, not something I would ever do.

Autographs though? Got them scattered everywhere.

Plus if you have too many coins, how can you pick and choose when they're all your babies? o:)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing is on display but I do have some coin albums on the bookcase and a small dish with some liberty nickels for fun in the curio. Most of everything is in the safe deposit box.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

"steal me!"

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

I have some lower value coins on display in china cabinet with some of my historical items like a piece of the berlin wall and a handwritten word by James Monroe along with some rewards from work!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    I do when I don't have 'em locked up. I display 'em in these-

That’s a great display! What is the wood it’s mounted on?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gollum. “ Why you want to see my precious ? It’s minza. My precious “😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an invitation for to much trouble

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've got to be kidding.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2021 2:18PM

@Zoins said:

@koynekwest said:
    I do when I don't have 'em locked up. I display 'em in these-

That’s a great display! What is the wood it’s mounted on?

Thanks! But that's just my dining room table.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the booklet from the Montana quarter launch framed, with 2 quarters from the event. Not sure having 50 cents framed say "steal me"

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

I have 17 of these trays for my best stuff, ranging from my Buffalo nickel date set (three trays of nine coins each) to my gold (two trays.)

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

No reason to display my coins at home, or anywhere else,

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a coin display per se... I do have slabs and raw coin on the cabinet by my desk though. Not worried about it, have security. Many more in the safe. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope - no reason for a display. I know what I have and the wife and the dog don't care about coin collecting. :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't like to advertise. That said, I do keep a jar of about 300 slick Buffalo Nickels in my top dresser drawer. I assume that's where the crackheads look first? Hopefully they'll grab them and run, thinking they're filthy rich!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fool and their collection are soon parted.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple shadow boxes with some cheap but pretty stuff. Also a framed 32-note sheet of ones.

• Options

I usually have a few of something or other on my desk... Not the same as displaying them, but it's nice to be able to look at them during the day

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2021 4:16PM

@Dave99B said:
    I really don't like to advertise. That said, I do keep a jar of about 300 slick Buffalo Nickels in my top dresser drawer. I assume that's where the crackheads look first? Hopefully they'll grab them and run, thinking they're filthy rich!!!

Dave

Very intelligent. Also, several cheap clock radios and a broken DVD player will do the same trick. You could have the Mona Lisa hanging on the wall above a lava lamp and the crackhead will swipe the lava lamp.....and run!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't even display common zinc Lincoln's in my home ... let alone gold coins.

• Options

My stuff isn't on permanent display. That would be foolish. When I bring 'em home from my safe deposit box to look at I like to look at them in my display trays. They are also insured with Hugh Wood.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a few PCGS samples on my desk - does that count?? :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have a old china display cabinet that i show my coins off in

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few commemorative coins in the mint boxes on display. Nothing expensive and probably worth less than my son’s Xbox.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Next they will ask you for your address

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are locked up. Too bad I feel the need not to display, but that’s the world we live in today.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are locked away, but I keep pictures on the phone to show people in person or on these forums.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I know someone that has a curio cabinet showing off coins in their living room. How many people have displays like this?

Imagine having just one of the following cabinets in your living room or office?

This is a photo from a coin store. http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/bullion.asp

• Options
    edited October 3, 2021 7:22PM

@Herb_T said:

@Zoins said:

This is a photo from a coin store. http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/bullion.asp

Are you saying these photos are from Jhon E. Cash? Or are you trying to sell some bullion? This is a screen shot of the page for your link.

I credited the photos @skier07 and got them from his post in this thread where he says the folowing:

@skier07 said:
    Here are my pictures from the Tyrant Collection display at Long Beach:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1053501/this-is-what-impresses-me

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way that I could justify doing that in this day and age.
    I have a great security system against theft but not so for flooding and fire.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why advertise?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Have a few PCGS samples on my desk - does that count?? :D

Couple of PCGS common-date MS63 Morgans make nice paperweights.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    FreeThinkerFreeThinker Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Do medals count?

• Options

How many people display anything in their homes?
    A few framed photographs, perhaps. In a study there might be a curio cabinet?
    Kid's room might have a few sports trophies and ribbons...
    But seems odd to be putting any kind of display into a living room.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

Guess you’ve not been in a home with original art work on the walls?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:

@moursund said:

Guess you’ve not been in a home with original art work on the walls?

Should have said "framed photos and artwork", for sure. I suppose a few framed coins wouldn't be out of place. And I suppose there is room on bookshelves for a few baubles and oddments. Grandpa's military medals, silver christening cups, maybe a candle snuffer. Probably not a set of PCGS double-eagles. :smile:

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I understand the concern for security, but I think it is wiser to display something at least. It can be a distraction for the thief. You don't want something very valuable on display, but put something so that a possible home invader takes that item and leaves, thus preserving what is really valuable.

While we are on this topic. I always wonder if tiny tracking devices can be embedded in the slabs, so that if it is missing, law enforcement can track it. It has to be small, inconspicuous, and affordable.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins in SDB .. .so I create photo albums using online services like Snapfish or PhotoBook America ..this way I can lay the collection out and enlarge photos, especially those trueview downloads, to show specific features and details ..takes time but the results are nice. However, the photo books are NOT on my coffee table ... more for my own enjoyment.

I do use an circulated Morgan dollar in public as a ball marker on the golf greens sometimes. :)

• Options

@retirednow said:
    Coins in SDB .. .so I create photo albums using online services like Snapfish or PhotoBook America ..this way I can lay the collection out and enlarge photos, especially those trueview downloads, to show specific features and details ..takes time but the results are nice. However, the photo books are NOT on my coffee table ... more for my own enjoyment.

I do use an circulated Morgan dollar in public as a ball marker on the golf greens sometimes. :)

For golfing, you should probably use an eagle. Or at least some kind of birdie...

• Options

@Swampboy said:
    I have a few low value 5c pieces displayed on a book shelf as a curiosity.

For everyone that thinks this puts me at risk of a home invasion all I have to say is I'd rather go down to my locked and alarmed stand up crawl space and suck on a gas pipe before I'd live in fear of the friends and family I invite into my music room/study.

I like your library subjects-right up my alley.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah i display paintings, photos, and other items in my house in full view along with my coins

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file