Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got home from Long Beach coin expo

Have wanted this for a while and decided to jump in…..

Comments

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Bad camera work, but a nice coin 15S pan pac $2.50

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 1913 S to me.... Nice coin... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 7:19AM

...and it appears to be polished. Could be a contemporary fake or "moved" metal? Big difference between the CoinFacts "5" and the OP.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 7:20AM

Take a close look at the date on a genuine specimen, here's one from Coinfacts.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1915-s-2-50-panama-pacific/7450

I'd weigh it, color is wrong.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say it is a 13 also.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that looks fake.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lighting/shadows appear to be making the 5 appear as a 3.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

It was purchased from a very reputable dealer. Bad photo by me, but in real life it’s a 15s. I’m getting it slabbed today

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Looks like a 1913 S to me.... Nice coin... Cheers, RickO

It is a 5 and not a 3 - appears as such because of the reflection ;)

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    It was purchased from a very reputable dealer. Bad photo by me, but in real life it’s a 15s. I’m getting it slabbed today

Good luck with the grading.

Perhaps the angle, lighting in the photograph gives it a polished look, atleast to me, and sincerely hope it is not. :)

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope there wasn't a reason why it was not already slabbed ... but suspect there was. :(

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, let us know the grade results. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

It was purchased from a very reputable dealer. Bad photo by me, but in real life it’s a 15s. I’m getting it slabbed today. Thanks for your concern and comments. I’m a pretty cautious buyer and only purchase ungraded coins from reputable dealers but it’s good to have the coin community looking out for me.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, another can't tell from the coin's picture.
    I said it was a 13 from the original picture but I take your word that it is a15 @Orlena.
    Let us know what our host grades it at.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena.... OK... you have the coin, so you can best tell the date.... but that picture sure looks like a 3... So, let us know how the grade comes out... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im betting its bogus

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

good luck

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's real!
    What grade?
    I don't know and I can't tell.

peacockcoins

• Options

I wish I could go to the show! Have to run to vegas for the weekend.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has definitely been cleaned, Beyond that I don’t care for the “3” , “5” or whatever it is.

This not a coin one should buy raw, even it is a “details” graded piece. I have a PCGS certified MS-66 in my collection. The design elements are delicate and in low relief on this coin. That makes certification a little trickier because counterfeits often have missing or mushy details.

I hope you can catch up with the dealer. I am concerned that you might need to do so.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd bet the farm, no matter what anyone says, that that is a '3' in the date.

• Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Orlena, How was the show?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care how cautious you are, how reputable the dealer is, or how bad your images are...the piece in question (if it is even authentic) has been polished.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

So re the coin, it was authenticated but final grade not out yet. I’ve learned my lesson - don’t ever put out a sh**ty photo on the forum. Everyone was trying to help, but you can’t help what you can’t accurately see.

The show was great. Yesterday was very active with lots of buying and selling in the works - lot of activity in Morgans and older US gold. Big lines to get grades from PCGS. It was wonderful to be back in all the action. I was looking for classic commemoratives in gold or silver and found a few that I could not pass up. Lot of nice foreign coins, but I wasn’t looking too hard. The big Walter Husak collection of large cents was a treat and the crowds were light enough to give you plenty of time to linger. Went back today (Friday) and it was fantastic. Crowds were light, selection was still pretty good, and had plenty of time to ask questions, check out inventory and just take it all in. I didn’t realize how much I had missed mingling with fellow coin fans.

My local coin club is getting back to regular meetings in November. Good to be back

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    So re the coin, it was authenticated but final grade not out yet. I’ve learned my lesson - don’t ever put out a sh**ty photo on the forum. Everyone was trying to help, but you can’t help what you can’t accurately see.

The show was great. Yesterday was very active with lots of buying and selling in the works - lot of activity in Morgans and older US gold. Big lines to get grades from PCGS. It was wonderful to be back in all the action. I was looking for classic commemoratives in gold or silver and found a few that I could not pass up. Lot of nice foreign coins, but I wasn’t looking too hard. The big Walter Husak collection of large cents was a treat and the crowds were light enough to give you plenty of time to linger. Went back today (Friday) and it was fantastic. Crowds were light, selection was still pretty good, and had plenty of time to ask questions, check out inventory and just take it all in. I didn’t realize how much I had missed mingling with fellow coin fans.

My local coin club is getting back to regular meetings in November. Good to be back

Did the seller tell you that the coin was polished?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authenticated but final grade not out yet doesn’t make sense. Authenticated by PCGS ? You wouldn’t get that until final grade. Shows only been a day. Did you pay for one day grading ?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I’ve learned my lesson - don’t ever put out a sh**ty photo on the forum. Everyone was trying to help, but you can’t help what you can’t accurately see."

That is what you learned! I can see your next tuition bill on the horizon...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file