Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1910 $5- gold Indian, is it real?

PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

I have an opportunity to trade for a 1910 $5- gold Indian. This would be my first pre1986 gold coin.
Unfortunately, these are the only pictures I have. I think the the grade would be an xf40. I will use a magnet, scale and a meter when I see the coin, but I read how sometimes 60% gold was used to make fakes as with dies from using real coins (so fake coins will have weak details). When comparing these pictures to photogrades I question the detail of this coin and thus could it be fake or just worn.

The trade from a cost basis would be fair at about greysheet for both of us.
Thank you in advance for comments.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks as if it has been highly polished... Likely to reduce the severity of the scratches on the reverse....I would pass on that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

In that condition, I wouldn't pay more than melt value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your comments.
    I was going to trade tomorrow but based on this feedback i withdrew the offer and cancelled the meeting. The seller was stating it was AU and he wanted to get it graded which is why I had to see it. At best now if graded this would be details xf.
    I always believed in deals had to be fair for both sides.
    This is a good example where this forum helps people from making an oops.
    🙂

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine to me, but scratched and polished.

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad you were able to get enough info here to avoid this coin. To me, I wouldn't even pay melt as I'd have no interest in the coin.

Best for you is to find a nice slabbed coin. There will be 1000s to choose from. That way you can (mostly) avoid junk like this.

jom

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too would pass on this coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine
    Scratched
    Cleaned

Pass

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick to certified coins unless you are an expert. Buying raw gold coins from photos is looking for trouble.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they say in Texas, El Paso. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

You made the right choice by withdrawing the offer.

----- kj
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. When a coin has be messed with as much as this one has, authentication become dicey. You could buy a worn, but no problem coin for very little more

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real but looks like it may have been ex-jewelry.

When you see those in hand the cash you'd spend to buy it is way more eye appealing.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly:

Punt

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file