Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Getting a coin graded, ONLY ONE! what's the best options?

MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the deal.
I've recently acquire all three of the 2019-W Lincoln coins, Proof, Reverse Proof, and the Mint Uncirculated.
The Proof & the Mint uncirculated is already slabbed & graded, the Reverse Proof isn't! and its still in the mint envelope, in the mint cellophane SEALED! I got it today and took it out of the envelope only, looking at it through the cellophane its an amazing looking coin! AMAZING!!
So to this point I've been one to crack coins out of the slabs so I can put them in the date range slot (in order) in my albums. But, I'm thinking these three would fair much better if they were slabbed and graded along with my 55 DDO and I can put them in an Encap holder in one of my albums.
So, if a person was only going to have ONE coin like this graded what's the best option on getting this done?
I mean I hate to pay $30.00 for a modern penny and a $100.00 to get it sent off and graded?
I check on the entry level PCGS membership and it looks to be $69.00 WITH NO Grading service credits. I don't think that's an option for me and if that's the only option then I'll most likely break the other two out of the slabs and just put them in 2" X 2" flips, that's kind of bad because one of them is graded as a First Strike.
So, are there any other options?
Thanks!
Mark

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
Thomas Jefferson!

Comments

• Options

I don't know of a dealer within 50 miles or better from me!
    But, that's a viable options.
    Thanks!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it for a friend who is going to a show who is a PCGS member and piggyback on his submission. That way, you only pay shipping one way on the submission.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@daltex said:

@MarkW63 said:
    Thanks!

Question is does it make more sense to buy one already in the grade you prefer?

Well, that in looking back on it would have been the best idea, but when I first started shopping for these I didn't have any plans on even buying them or leaving them slabbed, I would have been perfectly fine in the beginning to have picked up on deals on them ungraded, I just wanted them to fill the slots in the album, so I got one ungraded, then the next two just worked out that they were graded, so, now I'm in hind sight. The Reverse proof is a beautiful coin that I think would grade pretty high. So, I started out with one plan, and it played out somewhat a different way. I didn't want them graded, I just wanted the Proof, Reverse proof, & uncirculated but, now I'm looking at the other option.
    My plan for the entire Lincoln collection was No Slabs! keep it uniform with 2" X 2" flips, all in order, so I never looked for any of the 8 slabbed that I've got, I didn't have a problem cracking the slabs on the 7 but, the 55DDO was the one that I've had trouble with cracking open, my $900.00 09SVDB was easy to crack it open, I waited YEARS with the vacancy in my collection so I had to fill that slot.
    Now, with the newest additions I'm having second thoughts :D

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you must submit, piggy back. But it's a loss of it doesn't come back 70.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would slab it and get an album page that holds slabs.... I am not afflicted with OCD, so it is not necessary to have the entire collection encased the same way.... I have my CC Morgan collection with raw, slabbed and GSA holders...The coin matters, not the package - at least that is my position. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 6:43AM

If one coin.

I just send it in regular and take the full hit. I think all told it wb about $60.

Not long ago I sent in 2 rattlers (cracked them out) one got same grade the other upgraded one grade. I think total order about $120 or so. I was pleased would think by now they all picked over

I Just take total paying Pcgs from grading form and add outgoing ship cost from my end get total cost going to book. Then I book it to Opex for sch c.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkW63 said:
    Thanks!

Just in case you have not checked it, here is a link to the 'PCGS Authorized Dealer Directory'.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

For one coin, it's best to piggyback onto another submission. For the coin you have, you'll probably spend less just buying another one already slabbed. The pops show 5 in PR69 for every PR70. A PR69 goes for $30, and PR70 for $120 (silly label premiums notwithstanding). The expected value of a coin sent in for grading will be approximately (5 * $30 + $120) / 6, or $45. Modern value grading, assuming you go through someone with a membership, is $17 + $10 handling + $22 return shipping, so $49 plus outbound shipping. We can't tell here whether or not your coin will get a 70, but chances are this is a losing proposition.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just buy one already in a holder if that is a must, it will likely be cheaper anyway. IF you have to submit use ANACS, last I knew they do not have all the upfront membership fees.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    For one coin, it's best to piggyback onto another submission. For the coin you have, you'll probably spend less just buying another one already slabbed. The pops show 5 in PR69 for every PR70. A PR69 goes for $30, and PR70 for $120 (silly label premiums notwithstanding). The expected value of a coin sent in for grading will be approximately (5 * $30 + $120) / 6, or $45. Modern value grading, assuming you go through someone with a membership, is $17 + $10 handling + $22 return shipping, so $49 plus outbound shipping. We can't tell here whether or not your coin will get a 70, but chances are this is a losing proposition.

LoL Ten minutes before I saw your post I had the same idea, so I decided to take a look to see if I could find a PCGS graded Reverse Proof, most of them (the Reverse Poofs) I found had NGC grade, which would be fine, but the two others I bought are PCGS grades and so is my 55DDO. But, I did find a PR69 First Strike PCGS grade for $34.00 Shipped. Now, I'll need to sell the Mint packaged one any offers? I can take pictures of it bagged, I will not handle the coin outside the wrapper?
    I will look at putting it on the for sale forum here, I only mentioned it in this thread because its active about the coin.
    But, here we could get around the ebay fees and probably even Paypal fees.
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions from Everyone!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just buy an already slabbed coin or wait until I have at least a total of 8 - 10 coins to be sent in for grading.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you want them back after christmas, i would suggest using express at this time

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkW63 said:

@daltex said:

@MarkW63 said:
    Thanks!

Question is does it make more sense to buy one already in the grade you prefer?

Well, that in looking back on it would have been the best idea, but when I first started shopping for these I didn't have any plans on even buying them or leaving them slabbed, I would have been perfectly fine in the beginning to have picked up on deals on them ungraded, I just wanted them to fill the slots in the album, so I got one ungraded, then the next two just worked out that they were graded, so, now I'm in hind sight. The Reverse proof is a beautiful coin that I think would grade pretty high. So, I started out with one plan, and it played out somewhat a different way. I didn't want them graded, I just wanted the Proof, Reverse proof, & uncirculated but, now I'm looking at the other option.
    My plan for the entire Lincoln collection was No Slabs! keep it uniform with 2" X 2" flips, all in order, so I never looked for any of the 8 slabbed that I've got, I didn't have a problem cracking the slabs on the 7 but, the 55DDO was the one that I've had trouble with cracking open, my $900.00 09SVDB was easy to crack it open, I waited YEARS with the vacancy in my collection so I had to fill that slot.
    Now, with the newest additions I'm having second thoughts :D

This isn't going to be popular, but you really need to slow down. Otherwise you're going to end up wasting a lot of money on coins you don't really want. None of these coins is particularly hard to find, either in an attractive raw OGP, a 69, or a 70. I see there are 11 of the uncirculated in 70 and over 1000 of each of the proofs, with multiple thousands of each in 69. With the exception of the uncirculated in 70, those pops are so high that if any of the other eight match-ups isn't on eBay, you should only have to wait a day or two. Even that coin should show up on eBay (or another auction site) multiple times per year. Bottom line is I'm not going to tell you how to collect, or even that there is a better way, but please, slow down, decide what you want, and then purchase it. Don't say, well, what I want to buy isn't available on eBay right now, so I'll buy the closest thing.

It can be very costly if you buy coins because they are "almost" what you want. Don't settle. In this space we're talking waiting weeks for the right coin to pop up. In the areas that many here collect (tokens, perhaps) it can take years for the right item to turn up, and often not much more expensive.

• Options

@daltex said:

This isn't going to be popular, but you really need to slow down. Otherwise you're going to end up wasting a lot of money on coins you don't really want. None of these coins is particularly hard to find, either in an attractive raw OGP, a 69, or a 70. I see there are 11 of the uncirculated in 70 and over 1000 of each of the proofs, with multiple thousands of each in 69. With the exception of the uncirculated in 70, those pops are so high that if any of the other eight match-ups isn't on eBay, you should only have to wait a day or two. Even that coin should show up on eBay (or another auction site) multiple times per year. Bottom line is I'm not going to tell you how to collect, or even that there is a better way, but please, slow down, decide what you want, and then purchase it. Don't say, well, what I want to buy isn't available on eBay right now, so I'll buy the closest thing.

It can be very costly if you buy coins because they are "almost" what you want. Don't settle. In this space we're talking waiting weeks for the right coin to pop up. In the areas that many here collect (tokens, perhaps) it can take years for the right item to turn up, and often not much more expensive.

>
    Well, I get what your saying but I've been working on this Lincoln cent collection sense around 1981 maybe 82.
    I admit I made a mistake in not really wanting graded coins for my collection they just don't fit, it throws them stored somewhere else and I made an oath to myself that I want to PLUG every hole possible in the albums, that was my goal so, slabbed coins just don't FIT the order, I wanted a really nice I guess collection of RAW coins. So, now its that darn 55DDO that created this mess :D that childhood bucket list coin is to blame, I don't have a second thought about cracking the case on say a late 40's proof just because because the deal was right at say $20.00 and out of the case it FIT perfectly, I didn't really have an issue cracking the case on the 09SVDB at $900.00 filling the bucket list hole in the collection has been a life time adventure, but that 55DDO! I've not been able to bring myself to cracking its case, its flopping around totally out of place, it don't fit my collection so its a $2,000 bucket list outcast.
    When I decided to buy the three 2019-W my plan wasn't to find some GREAT grade of them, that's not the base of my collection. I had FULL intentions on buying RAW mint packaged and putting them into 2" X2" flips and putting them into the album, so my first one was the Reverse Proof, the better deal I saw was mint packed, Bam! bought.
    I looked around for the RAW uncirculated and I found the better deal on a graded one, no problem, I can cut the slab, Bam! bought.
    Then looking for the Proof they're was better deals on graded one, Bam, I bought it.
    My intentions were to cut the cases, I didn't care about them being graded. Well the first one came in (the reverse proof not graded and then I thought man, what a nice coin, then I thought about the other two being graded and my intentions, I starting getting wet feet over the cut the case concept on these. So, I put up a thread about album holders for graded coins, I got some ideas, decided I screwed up on buying the Reverse Proof ungraded. I ordered two Encap album sleeves, bit the bullet, bought another Reverse Proof PCGS graded, so now I'll have the three coin set graded and the same album sleeve we give a home to the 55DDO.
    So, in a couple of weeks I'll just put the mint packaged Reverse Proof up for sale and recoup most of the money I paid for it and life goes on :)
    Thank you for your time putting together your post!!

Thomas Jefferson!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file