Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would PCGS straight grade these circ. bust coins?

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were from Mrs_Spuds great grandparents collection. I’m thinking of slabbing these 2 more to preserve them as family heirlooms than for resale purposes. But do you think the scratches would prevent them from being straight graded?

Mr_Spud

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details grade with "SCRATCHES" noted on the label.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I do not think they will be straight graded either.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fortunately, you saved your money by asking here. I need to utilize the boards this way. :blush: or get glasses.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2021 4:34PM

...ditto post

• Options

I might still get the 1817 overdate slabbed anyway, just to preserve it and because it’s cool.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scratches should and likely will prevent a straight grade.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I might still get the 1817 overdate slabbed anyway, just to preserve it and because it’s cool.

You might but is the price worth a gamble of "DETAILS" ?? I think that coin will sell the same whether slabbed or not.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope not. Really, really hope not. However, somehow I sense the 17/3 might have a shot for a net graded straight grade if the day is just cold enough

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy some of the do it yourself slabs and put them in .

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you do not intend to sell them, why not self slab. The slabs are available in coin shops/shows or online...and you can put your own label in it, indicating the family history. A really nice way to detail family heirlooms. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even NNC or Numistrust would straight grade those.

• Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I hope not. Really, really hope not. However, somehow I sense the 17/3 might have a shot for a net graded straight grade if the day is just cold enough

Do you really think there’s a chance that the coin would pass at PCGS or NGC with that much intentional graffiti? How about just engraving the grade onto the coin.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both would be "genuine". The scratches are obvious and eliminate any chance of their being straight graded.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way, Jose.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Anytime you marks with pattern or any mark that looks excessive or intentional, don’t buy it if you want it to get a grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a chance.
    Perfect coin to keep raw IMO.
    What further damage do you imagine they might incur out in the wild?
    What a family heirloom! You can actually take it out and hold in your hand. 👍

Also, that 17/3 is still worth a few bucks... even in that condition.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Both would Details Grade for Graffiti.

Can a series of random scratches really be considered to be "Graffiti"?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 3:06AM

@PerryHall said:

@Broadstruck said:
    Both would Details Grade for Graffiti.

Can a series of random scratches really be considered to be "Graffiti"?

Yes as not everyone is a Picasso and both have doohicky designs scratched into the obverse.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2021 6:43AM

Thanks everyone. I had been wondering if they let some older coins slide through with scratches, like they did with one of my favorite coins that not only got straight graded but also got a CAC sticker. This one with what looks like an upside down A scratched into the coin right in front of Liberty’s neck. I purchased it in a recent Legend Regency auction and I really like it and so did the underbidders even though the auction description said “We note a light "A" formed from a couple of wispy scratches on the obverse, noted for accuracy. Obviously the eye appeal was not affected too badly to preclude grading or CAC approval”.

Did they let this one slide through with what could be called graffiti because the toning camouflages it or something like that? Well, anyway, this coin was what got me thinking that they might let older bust coins slide in regards to scratches on a circulated coin.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1831 quarter isn't even close to an AU58. I would grade it XF45 details, scratched.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file