Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2013 D dime

By no means am I knowledgeable about coins, so I thought I’d come here and ask you lovely folk.
I found this super pretty colored dime and I’m wondering if y’all could tell me why it’s so different. In the pictures the dime on the right (bottom) is the one in question, the left (top) is just for comparison purposes.
Thank you for your time! ♥

45-E7426-C-15-C9-487-D-AA43-8-DFA6-B1-A3-FCA

B8-ED1-A4-E-3-AF2-4357-9-FB8-B18-CFF22-A857

0-A142-C1-A-8-A28-49-BC-BA37-4252351-B664-A

Comments

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color changes are usually thin oxide layers on the metal's surface. These layers reflect light, which causes nice looking interference fringes from partial reflection from the front and back of these layers. The colors that get reflected depend on the thickness and the angle of the light, which causes iridescent optical effects (mother of perl has a similar mechanism, but with many layers of changing optical density).

The formation and stability of these layers depend on the metal and conditions under which it is exposed. Titanium can produce very pretty oxide layers that last a long time at room temperature after their production. This is commonly being use for jewelry. Stable layers on silver and certain annealed steel parts like watch springs can also be observed. I am not aware the lead, tin or zinc produce such layers or that they have mechanically stable oxide layers. Aluminum makes a thick, porous oxide layer which doesn't seem to be too visible on its own, except when it's really thick and becomes a dull grey. This is commonly used in anodization to make hard protective aluminum surfaces. Aluminum oxide anodization can be readily dyed, printed etc. and is technically very useful. Another technically useful process that works on many metals is chromate conversion coating, which does produce thin, colorful films, as well. Not too long ago highly toxic hexavalent chromium has been regulated, though, and only trivalent chromate can now be used for most technical applications. I think certain aerospace applications are still exempt.

On gold and platinum these layers don't form, at all, I believe, at least not using oxygen, alone.

The details of formation, thickness as a function of heating etc. is a question for the chemists and material scientists. Physically they will change thickness depending on the treatment, which will change their optical appearance. The strongest optical effects are being cause by layers that have approximately the thickness of half a wavelength or a full wavelength of light. The layers also need to have the highest possible index of refraction, which is a density problem, and they should be of roughly uniform thickness, which requires controlled process parameters.

If you are looking for scientific literature on the subject, the topic is usually discussed under "optical properties of thin films", whereby a thin film can mean such an oxide layer on metals or glass, a film of oil on water or any other structure that forms a thin, nearly homogeneous optical layer. Your topic does belong into physics with regards to optical properties, but the technical question of how to make these layers is more of a material science question. I don't know if there is an ideal forum for that.

:o

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or, environmental damage. B):D

• Options

@geniebean said:
    so I thought I’d come here and ask you lovely folk.

You must have us confused with someone else. :#:p

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

There are many things that cause discolorations on coins.
    It didn't leave the mint that way, not an error.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom (reddish) coin has environmental damage. It was dropped in an acidic environment (forrest floor, beach sand, or something intentional) and is damaged. Simple.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@geniebean .... Welcome aboard. Your dime is environmentally damaged... As @TomB has stated above. No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2021 11:00AM

@ricko said:
    @geniebean .... Welcome aboard. Your dime is environmentally damaged... As @TomB has stated above. No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

And nice to see that the forum members gave some details, and didn't simply respond "PMD".
    In case the OP (original poster) reads this, "PMD" means post-mint damage, generically anything that damaged the coin after it left the mint, so not a minting error, and almost never making a coin more collectable.

Edited to add: "PMD" is widely used in the forums... but not "ED" for Environmental Damage?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage. Value is ten cents.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard @geniebean.
    It is environmental damage as stated above.
    IMO, the coin was subjected to some type of chemical bath which caused this "look"
    Any relationship to Jelly? :D
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

A dime buried in the ground for a few years might look like that.

• Options

Thanks y’all, I really appreciate it & have learned quite a bit today. ʕᵔᴥᵔʔ

Honestly I’m kind of glad she’s not worth anything, I want to turn it into a charm of sorts.

Anyways! I wish the best of luck to all of you, may you find what you most desire. ♥

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@geniebean said:
    Thanks y’all, I really appreciate it & have learned quite a bit today. ʕᵔᴥᵔʔ

Honestly I’m kind of glad she’s not worth anything, I want to turn it into a charm of sorts.

Anyways! I wish the best of luck to all of you, may you find what you most desire. ♥

I have found what I most desire it’s just my wife won’t give me one. I am of course speaking of a double eagle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file