Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can you grade this Capped Bust Half Eagle?

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin recently sold at auction; I hope it's OK to post it here. I'm inexperienced at old gold and I would like to get better at it. What would you grade this coin? The coin is in a slab, but I would prefer to get some opinions before I bias anyone with the slab info.

Comments

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks high-AU to me.

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess AU58. Beautiful coin no matter what grade it is!

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my area but ill give it a guess at 63

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

• MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

might be details with that vertical scratch on obverse

image Respectfully, Mark
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t see less than AU58 and will guess MS63.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice. I’ve purchased fine art from Skinner.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very high end and original, seldom seen so nice.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous piece. While I guess it could be a 58, I really don't think so ... I'd suggest it is a 63

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll take 58

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 The vertical slash on the obverse is a bummer.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

High AU.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it as a attractive slider.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful example. First thought was 58+.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to say "A beautiful coin" - has a great look to it.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. My guess grade was AU58, which seems to agree with many here. It doesn't agree with the holder though. I'm not familiar with this TPG company. Is this considered an Old Holder or a Third World Holder?

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2021 11:36PM
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfamiliar with that TPG. Obviously grading both sides. I'm thinking AU 62, but they (TPG) won't consider it MS with that "rub" or "smear". And it won't dip away. But it's lovely, just the same. MS details. AU 58 really.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

NCI is an old Grading Company that was formed back in the certificate days. The moved to the slab model for a couple years (I think) before they shut down, but they still offered a photo-certificate if I remember correctly, similar to ANACS, which came with the slab.

I believe it was started by Heritage (or maybe by Steve and Jim prior to that), and was disbanded shortly after PCGS and NGC started to gain real market acceptance and prominence (maybe by '92/93). They had a grading guide, and they pretty much followed their model well.

Would obviously have to see the coin in hand, as some were on point, and some were 1 to 2 points over what PCGS and NGC were grading back then (early 90's). Mostly they were becoming discounted as PCGS and NGC gained wider and wider acceptance, but I found more than a few coins that were easy crosses back in the mid-90's.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it supremely drool-worthy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, AU-58.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, 58-62

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice gold coin... and I would grade it AU58.....Not a 63 IMO... At least not from the OP picture. Cheers, RickO

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it:

I want it!

Frank

BHNC #203

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a 63. I’m in the minority it appears. :D

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I look at that coin, the more I like it. Great color!

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2021 3:08PM

@Proofmorgan said:
    I saw the coin in lot viewing and early gold is my forte. AU58.

There was significant high point wear in hand with no underlying luster at those points. My study of other MS pieces put this with too much high point wear to be an MS coin….in my opinion. The obverse scratch would likely be acceptable in the AU58 grade. The photos make the coin look closer to MS but the high points are truly dull and “flat” in hand.

My gut says CAC approval.

The coin sold at $20k all in which is high end 62-63 money.

I thought it was a great example as a package but only at AU money and something I believe loses value outside of the current holder.

I agree with this but areas void of mint texture + neg points for the marks (Obv + rev) put it in the premium 55 range to these eyes. This post is funny considering the previous UNC means no rub threads although many of those poster haven’t posted hear. I agree with the package valuation point completely

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

This had been one of my favorite coins from the whole grouping, and I'm glad it got the bids that it did. The 1812, along with several others, came from the same collections where a majority were graded by NCI. The old service was inconsistent in their grading, a factor I suspect led to their demise against the competition.

I am proud to have worked with the piece and look forward to others that come through the auction house.

Here's the photo certificate if anyone's curious!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this NCI coin recently, a Stone Mtn in 65 this is accurately graded:

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 10:27AM

NCI is not one of the TPG accepted by eBay. You need get it in a PCGS Holder.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • tcollectstcollects Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭

my first impression was AU62 CAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file