Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins with die cracks

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

What impact do die cracks have on the grading of a coin?

Are there counterfeit coins made to look like they have die cracks?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

A light die crack should not affect the grade of a coin. That being said, I doubt if PCGS would give an MS70 grade to a modern coin with a die crack. For classic coins, light die cracks do not impact the grade.

For coins with heavy die cracks and late or very late die states, PCGS has a tendency (IMO) to undergrade slightly. There have been several threads about coin varieties with heavy cracks, LDS, and apparent weak strikes that get a grade that is less than expected for the technical wear of the coin (such as 1806 O.121). PCGS is consistent about grading these, and I am fine with the undergrading of LDS coins relative to wear as long as they are consistent.

This is an example of a coin (1795 three leaves half dollar) with a heavy die crack that is a die break, and has a PCGS grade of VF20. The technical wear alone would give a higher grade than VF20, but there is very weak lettering in places that were caused by the effect of the crack which contributes to the VF20 grade:

If a counterfeit is made from a genuine host coin with a die crack, the counterfeit can have a die crack.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

Here is an 1806 half dollar of mine that has a reverse die that is literally falling apart, and a PCGS grade of MS62. The grade was affected by a few hits left of the shield and on the shield, and possibly by the die state, as I think it has the luster of an MS63. Cool coin that I bought for the die cracks:

• Options

@Nysoto said:
    Here is an 1806 half dollar of mine that has a reverse die that is literally falling apart, and a PCGS grade of MS62. The grade was affected by a few hits left of the shield and on the shield, and possibly by the die state, as I think it has the luster of an MS63. Cool coin that I bought for the die cracks:

There are enough cracks showing that makes me feel like it is falling apart! Thank you for sharing!

• Options

Thank you everyone for sharing….

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love die cracks but hate die clashing.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a look at the Shield Nickel series, die cracks galore!

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:
    With all the CAC talk lately, CAC does bestow stickers to coins with light and heavy cracks. I have others not imaged, but here is a CACer with a PCGS VG10 grade:

A better image courtesy of Lance:

Ooh..an old coin of mine! Did you have Lance take that pic? Because if so he got to shoot it twice! 😅

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I consider die cracks to be interesting, and part of the minting process. I expect some may affect a grade, but if so, well, that is how it goes. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Any opinions if this 1973 Kennedy half dollar has a die crack pls

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 5:35PM

My first impression would be a no on a die crack.
    It looks like post mint damage.
    The rim is damaged so this believes me to say so is the rest of the coins spots and blemishes.
    Would have to see the coin in hand to be able to give you a better answer.
    And welcome aboard @Suzetz.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a few cracks

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Thanks! I was recently given an old cigar tin half full of these collected by my dad back in the day. Wasn’t sure what happened to this one, especially the rim damage!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

![](htt

I like big cracks and i cannot lie!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones Dave!

A couple more with cracks ...

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Great examples! Anyone else?

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    Here are a couple cracked-up reverses. Does anyone recognize them?

1811/09 JR-1 Dime and 1818 B-6 Quarter.

• Options

@jayPem asked:

Ooh..an old coin of mine! Did you have Lance take that pic? Because if so he got to shoot it twice! 😅

I just asked Lance if I could use the pics for my Registry that he posted on the forum and "What do I owe you for the images?" Lance responded "Nice of you to offer to pay something. But it's not necessary."

Here is another big die break, what the error people call a split die (1806 T-16 Rev DS-5):

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    Are there counterfeit coins made to look like they have die cracks?

someone out there probably has tried/succeeded in manufacturing die cracks on counterfeit coins BUT there really is no need since die cracks can occur on counterfeit dies and are carried forward from transfer coins/dies.

on another note.

there are simply just AMAZING coins being posted in this thread. several i don't recall seeing previously (marriages). must be some terribly scarce examples and most if not all are nice!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file