Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Durant walking Through PSA tonight

This was received by PSA today. After USPS lost it for a couple days and had me outside my local office an hour before opening this morning. He made a detour through KY on his way to Cali. Must have thought blue grass meant something else

Comments

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

:o

• Options

Looks like an easy 9 - certainly a 10 is possible!

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

The black back is really clean also

• Options

USPS delivered my order to PSA P.O. Box at 12pm today. I just went into QA2.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyser said:
    I just went into QA2.

curious what it looks like in there. take lots of pics while youre in there! 😉

• Options

• Options

He has stalled at the checkout line. I am praying there is a problem with the order........

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

@Kyser said:
    He has stalled at the checkout line. I am praying there is a problem with the order........

Fingers crossed for an upcharge email.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options

@scmavl said:

@Kyser said:

Order is currently on hold, a PSA representative will contact you within 72 hours.

I FEEL IT>>>>>

• Options

@Kyser said:

@scmavl said:

@Kyser said:

Order is currently on hold, a PSA representative will contact you within 72 hours.

I FEEL IT>>>>>

upcharge coming! 🤯

• Options

I paid $600 I would assume that would have covered a 9. Now can I call them or do I have to refresh my email for the next 72 hours?

• Options

RIP, upcharged for a 9.

• Options

so it was an upcharge? but for a 9?

what did the $600 level cover? whats the card worth today in a 9 and a 10?

• Options

I think a 9 is 12-16K, a 10 would be 50-70k I think

• Options

The upcharge was 400 extra so 1000 total

• Options

Bummer, sorry it didn’t Gem. But unless you paid $10k for it raw, you still did very good.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I clicked thinking the human was in Newport Beach, as I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that he was part of the buying group.

What a nice surprise instead.

Great card, solid player. When all is said and done maybe top 10 all time. And that’s some payday…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

It was the last one sold raw on Ebay. All said I got a great deal. But I felt it was a big risk. The seller did not have a history of items that expensive and there were only two photos. My largest investment on a single and very pleased with the grade and the turn around time. Thanks for all the good vibes. And that Moss is priceless.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Kyser said:
    It was the last one sold raw on Ebay.

A bit of a head scratcher.... The seller says in the listing that the card "should grade a 9.5 - 10". If the seller was that confident, why wouldn't they sub it themselves?

Nice $10k-ish score! So do you try and cross it to BGS for a 9.5?

• Options

@Kyser I thought I saw this in your pic, but it was hard to tell. When I looked at the ebay pic where you bought it, I see it much more clearly. The T/B centering kept it out of a 10 holder, I think. Other than that, it’s just about perfect. Still a GREAT score.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@Kyser said:

A bit of a head scratcher.... The seller says in the listing that the card "should grade a 9.5 - 10". If the seller was that confident, why wouldn't they sub it themselves?

I have never crossed any cards over. But I have never had a card with this much potential either. I really did not see a single flaw. But they are the professionals. I trust they seen something. I just hope it wasn't a smudge or something avoidable.

• Options

@scmavl said:
    @Kyser I thought I saw this in your pic, but it was hard to tell. When I looked at the ebay pic where you bought it, I see it much more clearly. The T/B centering kept it out of a 10 holder, I think. Other than that, it’s just about perfect. Still a GREAT score.

Thank you scmavl, I could not tell top to bottom where the border should be. Makes sense now on the 9.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2021 7:11PM

I will vouch for that seller, they knew they had something special. They told me more than once to grade it in messages. But I still did not think it was that clean. On top of that the seller got messages after the fact for 3-5k and kept their word without any pressure and delivered what they offered.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2021 7:26PM

I had a feeling going in. That if it was a 10 everyone at PSA would have to sign off on it. And I have 0 clout. My first cross over may be in the works. I am still pleased with the service. I do feel the up charge was a bit petty. $600 should have got me $9999 declared the last sale on ebay was 12k I think. Seems a stretch to up charge me $400. On top of that the orange was not in the PSA price report.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Kyser said:
    RIP, upcharged for a 9.

I could read these type of posts forever and still don't understand them. You paid $600 and they needed to upcharge you. I just think it's wrong. Congrats on a nice card.

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Awesome card and score!

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the value modern prices were hiked to $20 dollars per card, it was tough to swallow, and that was for under $500. If a card ended up being a 500 card, that's only 4% of the after grading PSA determined value.

PSA just upcharged you to over 8% for a 12k card.

I don't believe this is fair to you, the purchaser of a service, on a card you bought in the marketplace for $2k just last week, when you submitted it at the proper service level. As PSA alone holds the power to assign a grade, and they are deciding upcharges based on the grade they alone designate, they are providing a price for service until they get a card like yours, and then they are providing a service and taking a commission. Doesn't seem fair to have it both ways.

• Options

For awhile now I have been considering going BGS only. The PSA stamp has a premium BGS cant touch. But at the end of the day having sub grades, a faster turn around for the price, and no extra charge after submission. Those are all things I will have to consider going forward. That up charge might be the straw. $400 extra dollars for what they THINK might be a $2000 difference in declared vs real value, in a volatile market. If they are going to sale it for me at $12000 pay the fees and insure the transaction that would be one thing. And walk through service did not get me through QA2 any faster than normal. Major bottle neck I assume. Or it took awhile to decide how much to fleece me for.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@Kyser said:

Pretty unreal. The seller has other graded cards but just decides to sell this one raw? Great score and happy for the buyer here.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only sale showing on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124766822325

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    This is the only sale showing on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124766822325

When there has only been one recent sale, is that always accurate to assume this card will sell for the same price? Customers are paying for a service, not a card value.

G-R-double E-D

• Options

I wanted to call and ask about the up charge and there pricing evaluation. But I know my place in the PSA customer peaking order. I am not even in the line. Thanks everyone for letting me show off my find and then vent, I am still super stoked. I hope my experience this go around with PSA is just a one off. But, I do learn my lessons sooner or later.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyser said:
    I wanted to call and ask about the up charge and there pricing evaluation. But I know my place in the PSA customer peaking order. I am not even in the line. Thanks everyone for letting me show off my find and then vent, I am still super stoked. I hope my experience this go around with PSA is just a one off. But, I do learn my lessons sooner or later.

Love that card! Nice gamble!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

I think, in the past, the big graders were given more favorable reviews not better grades on subs. Most of the big graders have/had former graders on staff that pre-graded their cards. I know when I stopped submitting my cards and had a full time dealer submit for me (back when I ripped a lot of product), he did a much, much better job of only sending in high grade cards. Collectors have an inherent bias when reviewing their cards that someone without any vested interest in the card doesn't have.

Robb

• Options

@scmavl said:

excellent point. There are innumerable 10s out there with such centering but that's got to be the reason here. Regardless, a great card. One of the strongest 9s out there in this card for certain!

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    I think, in the past, the big graders were given more favorable reviews not better grades on subs. Most of the big graders have/had former graders on staff that pre-graded their cards. I know when I stopped submitting my cards and had a full time dealer submit for me (back when I ripped a lot of product), he did a much, much better job of only sending in high grade cards. Collectors have an inherent bias when reviewing their cards that someone without any vested interest in the card doesn't have.

Robb

Hi Mr.Robb, always good to hear from you. I hope you caught some nice ones this spring.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyser said:
    For awhile now I have been considering going BGS only. The PSA stamp has a premium BGS cant touch. But at the end of the day having sub grades, a faster turn around for the price, and no extra charge after submission. Those are all things I will have to consider going forward. That up charge might be the straw. $400 extra dollars for what they THINK might be a $2000 difference in declared vs real value, in a volatile market. If they are going to sale it for me at $12000 pay the fees and insure the transaction that would be one thing. And walk through service did not get me through QA2 any faster than normal. Major bottle neck I assume. Or it took awhile to decide how much to fleece me for.

Wait. So you violate the TOS and it's PSA that did something wrong? Perhaps you'd be happier if PSA had returned the card ungraded?

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@Kyser said:

Wait. So you violate the TOS and it's PSA that did something wrong? Perhaps you'd be happier if PSA had returned the card ungraded?

I feel safe in answering on the OP's behalf and saying that we'd be happier if PSA charged for the service provided instead of taking a percentage of their perceived value of the graded item. You can continue pretending to happy about their greed all you want.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2021 11:28AM

TOS. no one makes a person use psa.

your house, your rules, right? but lets throw that mentality out when its not your house? that seem right?

one could say that not wanting to give someone their cut which obviously adds extreme value is “greedy”.

eta:

would i love a flat fee regardless of value? of course.

would i love to eat a filet while only paying for a hot dog too? of course.

do i get mad when someones opinion adds money to my pocket and i have to pay for the additional value when it adds 5 - 10x the amount to my pocket/collections value? obviously id prefer not to. but im certainly not gonna whine. why? because thats exactly whats spelled out in the….TOS. and i wasnt forced to sub w them. i could certainly sub w bgs who follow the straight fee approach. but im not an idiot. theres a reason i sub w psa. and thats because…? upcharge me every single time. i will jump for joy every single time and will reluctantly but happily pay them for the services i agreed to.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface

I think the concern is not so much the up charge itself, as the fact that it creates the perception of conflict of interest when PSA profits from giving the card a higher grade.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2021 12:02PM

@PaulMaul said:
    @blurryface

I think the concern is not so much the up charge itself, as the fact that it creates the perception of conflict of interest when PSA profits from giving the card a higher grade.

and i get that. no system is perfect. there will always be that valid side of the argument which can be countered with a quick stroll thru the “grading poppage” thread to see the long list of customers /questionable grades that didnt result in upcharges. in the end, i see a fence. i see folks on this side. i see folks on the other side. what i dont see is a ton of folks swapping sides. and thats ok too.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@blurryface

1) I haven’t submitted anything since the first shutdown. I have been upcharged before.

2) For every upcharge that someone feels is ‘egregious’ I think there are probably 20 cards (conservative estimate) that could be upcharges and are not. People often sub high end cards in bulk hoping to not be upcharged…and get them through…and flaunt it…and advise others to do similar. Read enough and you’ll see it all over.

3) We all want it both ways but the simple fact is that - whether stated or not - a high profile card gets a better look from more eyes. Look around for the stories but if someone subs a T206 Wagner or a high grade 52T Mantle, it’s going to get a longer look from important eyes than my 1997 Bowman Chrom Ricky Ledee rookie will. That needs to be paid for by someone. (Us.)

4) The OP said they bought it as a 9 or 10 and evaluated it himself and concurred so since he “knew” it was a 9-10, then in reality - and I’m not faulting you or saying you were doing something nefarious by any means - but it was intentionally not submitted at the proper level.*

5) I still view it as a really nice problem to have.

*I did not check the value tiers or the submission page but that is usually the reason given for an upcharge. If it applies here, I’m not certain. I get too sad looking at the submission page.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

^ some very good points above.

3) im not important, but ill look at that ricky for ya!

4) i think a lot of people intentionally sub at a lower level. i certainly do. theres more cards than not where a 10 is a different tier. and i have never subbed a card knowing that it’ll get a 10. now, i would never try to slide a solid 57’ mantle into a bulk sub either. i can understand the ones that land a 10 complain about an upcharge. its not right but its not wrong either. the ones that complain about an upcharge solely because they knowingly tried to slide one past the goalie (and got called out) have zero right to complain whatsoever, imo. theres intentional (not counting your chickens) and then theres intentional (purposeful deceit).

5) “a really nice problem to have”. perfect phrase!

• Options

and i dont think op did the purposeful deceit sub here. and i see psa’s stance w the upcharge too. the real problem here has been the extreme uptick and fall in a lot of card prices. and with a ton of cards coming back down to reality, its hard to say for sure that this durant would even fetch $15k today. it most certainly could not.

on a much smaller scale, i recently got an upcharge for a card that psa perceived the value of $1000. by the time i got it back, sent it off for auction & auction closed it only hammered for $556. the past two sales prior to mine where $1100 on a bin and $1052 on an auction. is what it is.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2021 1:22PM

It’s human beings so there’s going to be some mistakes; you have to be ok with that. Price hikes aside, I feel like PSA has done a lot for the collector recently and it’s not always acknowledged.

I also have to acknowledge that as someone who isn’t a for profit collector or someone who is subbing for 10s, my motivations differ slightly than many of my fellow posters. And since I’m cool with my cards not being slabbed, too, it’s not the end of the world to me that prices are currently higher than the upper deck at a Dead & Co. concert.

Just offering opinions, commiserating and congratulating all at once!

😂

• Options

, it’s not the end of the world to me that prices are currently higher than the upper deck at a Dead & Co. concert.

Just offering opinions, commiserating and congratulating all at once!

😂

gotta be with john mayer on lead. talk about “waiting on the world to change”. waiting to change back.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2021 4:33PM

Submitted at 9999 declared value and violated TOS? And trying to pull a fast one? Is that what your saying? Thanks for your opinion.

Who here would have submitted at a higher level? Maybe I am wrong as usual.

• Options

@Kyser said:
    Submitted at 9999 declared value and violated TOS? And trying to pull a fast one? Is that what your saying? Thanks for your opinion.

Who here would have submitted at a higher level? Maybe I am wrong as usual.

No - I don’t think either one of us is saying that; the opposite.

You didn’t ‘violate’ the terms of service or doing anything wrong.

I guess what I’m saying is with a rare card like that, they have a 14+K sale to go by (if I followed things correctly) and if it was up to around $11,500 you probably don’t get an upcharge but since we’re talking almost half over the tier they had some reason for doing so with legitimacy.

Again, frankly, I don’t think you or PSA are up to anything. The cards I collect are mostly Mickey Mantle and the values are backed by 100s of sales at each .5 point value. What are there like 5 or 10 of those Durant’s and 3 graded? With almost no sales? It’s tough to place values on cards like that and yours is a beautiful example that I hope does incredibly well.