Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can You Enjoy the Coin If...

pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

You buy a raw coin, send it in for grading and the grade is a point lower than you expected or comes back AU instead of MS?

If you're a lover of MS-69/70 the answer is probably yes, it's a bummer. If you're satisfied with just having a nice example it's probably less of and issue. For some it's probably as simple as avoiding a down right ugly coin or one that has been damaged or harshly cleaned.

Be honest, is that one point or the rub that knocks it down from MS to AU going to take the joy out of owning the coin?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 2:22PM

Yes I can still enjoy the coin, it will certainly take the joy out of the submission.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be honest, is that one point or the rub that knocks it down from MS to AU going to take the joy out of owning the coin?

Usually it doesn't, unless you are a dealer. But then again, they should learn that comes with the territory.

This is only coin that has bummed me for years because of one grading point. It's an 1835 half cent, and it's a really nice coin. NGC graded it a point too low, in my opinion as an MS-63. If they are graded it MS-64, I could get out of the hole with it. I've seen many MS-64 graded coins that were not as nice.

The scratches on the holder take away from the photos.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on price. No one is going to be happy if they overpaid.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can deal with a coin that is a point lower, but not cleaned!

Ken
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Usually it doesn't, unless you are a dealer. But then again, they should learn that comes with the territory.

This is only coin that has bummed me for years because of one grading point. It's an 1835 half cent, and it's a really nice coin. NGC graded it a point too low, in my opinion as an MS-63. If they are graded it MS-64, I could get out of the hole with it. I've seen many MS-64 graded coins that were not as nice.

The scratches on the holder take away from the photos.

Nice coin, that would hurt especially given the strike, luster and none of the marks are major distractions.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

@jmlanzaf said:

My problem has been when I'm buying the PCGS graded on the slab is soild but when I'm selling it's the rare occasion PCGS got it wrong :(

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the only time I was bummed was when I first got back into collecting right before I joined here in 2001 or 2002. I was naive and bought raw BU Morgans and sent them in as my first ever submission. Every one was an AU. I was very bummed. I don’t remember what I did with them but I’m sure I sold them within a couple weeks of getting them as an embarrassing mistake.

@bearcave said:

I've been tempted to buy a coin that had been cleaned and highly discounted but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 3:18PM

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

My problem has been when I'm buying the PCGS graded on the slab is soild but when I'm selling it's the rare occasion PCGS got it wrong :(

The solution to that is to learn to grade for yourself. Then if you know you have a good coin, you will know when the dealer is full of it.

In this market, when the good dealers need inventory, the BS artists should be kicking themselves for passing on a fair deal.

You could some pictures here and get our opinions. All you will need will be a thick skin if we think you bought a “C coin.” (Misses the grade.)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The solution to that is to learn to grade for yourself. Then if you know you have a good coin, you will know when the dealer is full of it.

In this market, when the good dealers need inventory, the BS artists should be kicking themselves for passing on a fair deal.

I've probably spent more time studying the art of grading than the average collector. Books, videos, 3 days at an ANA grading seminar (Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection) but I think a key element in becoming a good grader is seeing a lot of coins in hand. I would love to intern somewhere to get that kind of experience (my wife wouldn't be so happy). I think that is probably the best training anyone can get.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

@BillJones said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I've probably spent more time studying the art of grading than the average collector. Books, videos, 3 days at an ANA grading seminar (Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection) but I think a key element in becoming a good grader is seeing a lot of coins in hand. I would love to intern somewhere to get that kind of experience (my wife wouldn't be so happy). I think that is probably the best training anyone can get.

This, All grading is basically ranking the coins vs what else is out there and how the age and weighting the demerits when you find some.

edited August 30, 2021 3:32PM

No what makes me bitter is when I know the grade is wrong and I play the game unsuccessfully a few times submitting and the next guy comes in after i sell and acts like it was their brilliance when they get the upgrade. That pisses me off

Typically when I am surprised by a grade when I take a look at the coin again I see what they saw and understand. Sometime I am left scratching my head wondering what it is I think I saw in the first place which clearly isn’t there any longer. Almost like buying a coin at a show under “the” lights and getting it home and wondering why you bought it in the first place :s

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

@bearcave said:

I've been tempted to buy a coin that had been cleaned and highly discounted but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I have bought cleaned coins before, didn't know it until I had it in hand, but they are pocket pieces now.

Ken
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 5:59PM

"... I think a key element in becoming a good grader is seeing a lot of coins in hand. I would love to intern somewhere to get that kind of experience (my wife wouldn't be so happy). I think that is probably the best training anyone can get."

Viewing lots of coins in hand means everything--it is the ONLY way to truly learn how to grade. And...one needs to view all kinds of coins: good, bad, and ugly. Then sit down and sort through some stacks of generic coins, all having the same grade, say 1881-S Morgans in MS64. You will see a spectrum of 64 A/B/C grades.

Then view colonials and early coppers (especially 17XX coins), and throw just about everything you learned about grading out the window.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I. Just. Don't. Care!!! If I like the coin, the number on the plastic does not matter. I buy/collect coins I like. The opinions of others can be interesting, if offering informed detail. However, I do not sell coins, this is a hobby for me. Cheers, RickO

• stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Personally, I have no problem with a coin that comes back in a lower grade than anticipated--as long as it straight grades. I would never buy a 'details' grade coin or raw coin I thought was cleaned. In a holder, I have a hard time seeing the coin, itself, if it has the word 'details,' 'cleaned,' etc. on the holder. Sadly, it is like a sort of scarlet letter to me. I wish I wasn't this way, but I obsess over things like that. I very rarely even buy raw coins.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 7:42AM

First and foremost, I buy the coin and not the holder it's in and am confident enough in my grading abilities, which if anything lean to the conservative...I've bought coins in slabs that I thought were overgrades as well as undergrades. Too many people think TPGs are a panacea and think the label is the be-all, end-all final say. They would be wrong. So my answer to the OPs question is yes, I can enjoy the coin just fine.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I only buy coins, I do not run into this issue.
    My only submissions would be for reholdering.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't worry about the grade, if the coin gets my notice then i buy it simple as that

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

This question is one of the reasons I have never submitted. It’s some tuition I haven’t been willing to pay, yet. I would probably be devastated if my coins came back much differently than expected (more than a point, certainly if details). Having them raw in my collection let’s me enjoy them as I bought them, and adjust my opinion as I learn. One day I’ll bite the bullet and send in the ones I’m most confident about…then start a thread about how much I have left to learn about grading once they come back.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That’s what they have auctions for. Let the market figure out what the coin is worth.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @ricko said. I do my research, buy what I like, study every coin in hand and enjoy this hobby a lot. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 10:27AM

I can live with it, especially if I took the time to look it over and liked it enough to buy it. I've had a handful of coins I thought were a 40, but came back a 35. But things can balance out, I've also gotten 45's on what I thought were 40's.

Another way to ask the question, would you enjoy the same coin if it didn't get that green sticker? Some people view that as getting downgraded too.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only like submitting to help the next owner be more confident about the coin's authenticity. I collect what I'm passionate about, and if it fits for my collection, I don't care too much for the grade.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 6:22PM

In one way, this coin grades MS68. In another, MS65. But yet, the eye appeal is very stunning! Yes, the photos are a bit out of focus/blurry and don't show the EDS strike very well but its a proof-like silver war example and it's very rare in that state. I just don't see how I would be disappointed if it were graded a point lower or higher or at all for that matter. The coin speaks for its self. Enjoy this hobby as it fits you. I have enjoyed owning such beautiful coins for many years.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can live with them being a problem to everyone else, but I always hope for a straight grade.
    Next up for grading is this 1876 $20 Liberty. It still looks good in a Capital holder or the album type set
    (

My better judgement says "submit".
    Though I have so many disappointing submissions. Yet, I've submitted and subsequently sold at least 4 coins with a population of less than a hundred or so. Genuine holders make me feel the pinch.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

My life database says buy the grade you are looking for already slabbed. If you do not, no rubbing allowed.....

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

One point wouldn’t bother me but rub would.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I can live with them being a problem to everyone else, but I always hope for a straight grade.
    Next up for grading is this 1876 $20 Liberty. It still looks good in a Capital holder or the album type set
    (

My better judgement says "submit".
    Though I have so many disappointing submissions. Yet, I've submitted and subsequently sold at least 4 coins with a population of less than a hundred or so. Genuine holders make me feel the pinch.

Au55 and nice

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file