Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Real or fake Jefferson Dollar 1903?

Hello!

I have been presented with the opportunity to bid On a Jeffersson Dollar 1903 at a small auction in Sweden, but cannot decide if it’s real or fake.

I am a novice at coin collecting and the pictures aren’t the best, therefor I ask for your help. Should I take the chance?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks fake to me. ;)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
  • Options

look at the difference in hair detail

counterfeit

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real but damaged from use in jewelry which was quite common with small gold coins in that era.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures of the original differ significantly on the portrait. It could be wear, but just from the pictures, I cannot say for sure. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t care for it. At best it appears to be a genuine piece that has been polished. At worst it is a counterfeit with lumps and weaker than expected details. Among the surviving examples, most pieces are at least MS-62 or 63 or better.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Sweden, raw, looks polished ... PASS.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Polished and spent its life in a bezel.

peacockcoins

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly not one to own other than for any gold content. Dentils on front at 11:45 and Dentils on back at 5:00 look incomplete and thus would lend me to say it's not real.

bob :)
    PS: It still may be gold and that could be a plus if it were under spot and has a return privilege so that you can have it tested on an XRF machine.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are a novice collector you would be well advised to buy ONLY coins that have been slabbed by a major TPG (Third Party Grader). Do not buy raw coins until you know what you are doing.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Polished.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt pass!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I am a novice at coin collecting..."

You just answered your own question. Run away or be ready to lose money.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Thank you for the input! I have decided not to bid in the coin.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eman4671 said:
    Thank you for the input! I have decided not to bid in the coin.

good move.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Polished or a cast copy. You should study up our hosts graded images and refer to them. Using known entities is wise. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

Genuine, rim banged up, polished...worth melt, though.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    {The pictures of the original differ significantly on the portrait. It could be wear, }

Oh No! Maybe a "Weak Strike" :o

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    look at the difference in hair detail

counterfeit

The difference could be attributable to wear and/or the imaging, including the lighting and angle.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file