Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

[CLOSED] LordM 20th anniversary on the CU forums giveaway! Come join the celebration!

2»

Comments

• Happy 20th!!! Time flies when you're having fun?!?

I'm new to CU and CT but have met you in both through your generous giveaways over the past year or so.

Always learning and loving these communities.

If I was to win I'd go coin A as yet I don't have an ancient and am looking forward to my first. Love the detail in this one 8-)

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2021 4:29AM

@lordmarcovan

@jdmern- what can you tell us about the date on that Eisbaren token, if you know? "1920s" was a semi-educated guess on my part. I don't know very much about them. I remember the Canadian ferry token- that wasn't too long ago. @savoyspecial wrested it from my grasp, but it was a happy addition to my Eclectic Box collection up until then. Kinda wish I’d kept it, now.>

I have seen them attributed as 1920 and 1921. They didn't really circulate, you can still find lots of intact sets (there are several different boxes they came in), so I think 1920 or 1921 is right on.

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdmern said:
    @lordmarcovan

@jdmern- what can you tell us about the date on that Eisbaren token, if you know? "1920s" was a semi-educated guess on my part. I don't know very much about them. I remember the Canadian ferry token- that wasn't too long ago. @savoyspecial wrested it from my grasp, but it was a happy addition to my Eclectic Box collection up until then. Kinda wish I’d kept it, now.>

I have seen them attributed as 1920 and 1921. They didn't really circulate, you can still find lots of intact sets (there are several different boxes they came in), so I think 1920 or 1921 is right on.

Thanks! Pretty much confirms the “early 1920s” vibe I got.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭

LordM, you may not have known this previously but that German streetcar token indirectly came from me. I sold it at a local shop (I sure you can guess which one) and remember commenting at the time that I felt it might end up with you based on the esoteric nature of the piece and it was already in the right brand plastic. Also, whoever sent it in sprung the extra $$ for Truview.

Glad you ended up with it and like it. I always felt like it bore an abstract resemblance to the U.S. "Effigy Mounds" National Park quarter.

Hope to see you soon if you come this way!

www.brunkauctions.com

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy anniversary!
    You have had some really nice coins thru the years.
    I have to think about the pick if I win.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
    edited August 5, 2021 12:27PM

@savoyspecial said:
    LordM, you may not have known this previously but that German streetcar token indirectly came from me. I sold it at a local shop (I sure you can guess which one) and remember commenting at the time that I felt it might end up with you based on the esoteric nature of the piece and it was already in the right brand plastic. Also, whoever sent it in sprung the extra $$ for Truview.

Glad you ended up with it and like it. I always felt like it bore an abstract resemblance to the U.S. "Effigy Mounds" National Park quarter.

Hope to see you soon if you come this way!

Hey, Greg! There you are! Yep, unsurprisingly, I got the polar bear token from Michael (@aethelred, to everyone else), so indirect thanks. If it does not get claimed in this giveaway, it will go into my Eclectic Box collection (as may the Canadian cent and steel cent). The 1582 Ernestus was submitted with that idea, but didn’t make the cut, only because it failed to straight-grade.

I agree about the resemblance of the polar bear token design to the Effigy Mounds quarter. I had picked up on that, too.

(*As to someone spending the extra $$ on the TrueView, they didn’t really have a choice, since Darkside has to go in under Secure Plus, which includes a TrueView. But I’m glad it does.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary!

One story that sticks out is the detecting trip we had on the grounds of an old church (I think) and found the 3 Washingtons about 8 inches deep. I have always wondered how those 3 got that deep, as they were mids-70s.

If I were to win, I would love the 1769 Whopper Copper, as it is 200 years older than me.

imageimage

• bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary! Probably back in 2007 or there abouts I got some buffalo nickels from you and some cool shark teeth. Been awhile on these boards for some of us. Congrats and here's to 20 more!

Coin E.

Jim

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary Rob!

You were a fixture when I got here ( 17 years ago), and still here when I came back a couple years ago (although slightly reduced participation) ... and nothing has really changed. You have an infectiously good spirit, a wonderful sense of humor and self, and have done a lot of good for our great hobby.

We did a couple deals way back, but they elude me. Recently you picked up a 1844 Seated Half from me, and I think you were happy. I always enjoy your posts, and remember the laughs the kids and I got the first time we saw you with the Holey Vest and Hat.

Anyway ... glad you're still here.

If I win? Put me down for Coin H. I haven't had a Canadian in my collection for a long time.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
    edited August 6, 2021 1:37AM

@GaCoinGuy said:
    Happy Anniversary!

One story that sticks out is the detecting trip we had on the grounds of an old church (I think) and found the 3 Washingtons about 8 inches deep. I have always wondered how those 3 got that deep, as they were mids-70s.

If I were to win, I would love the 1769 Whopper Copper, as it is 200 years older than me.

I remember our detector outings somewhat, and think I was there when you dug your first Wheatie in my “Indian Head Alley” hotspot (a park- was the cent a 1935? That much I can’t recall). I don’t remember us going to an old church, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Happy Anniversary Rob!

You were a fixture when I got here ( 17 years ago), and still here when I came back a couple years ago (although slightly reduced participation) ... and nothing has really changed. You have an infectiously good spirit, a wonderful sense of humor and self, and have done a lot of good for our great hobby.

We did a couple deals way back, but they elude me. Recently you picked up a 1844 Seated Half from me, and I think you were happy. I always enjoy your posts, and remember the laughs the kids and I got the first time we saw you with the Holey Vest and Hat.

Anyway ... glad you're still here.

If I win? Put me down for Coin H. I haven't had a Canadian in my collection for a long time.

I am indeed happy with that 1844 half. It remains in my collection. That transaction was this spring, so fairly recent. I like the year 1844, and the way this particular coin is almost semi-prooflike beneath the toning. I think it is quite conservatively graded in the old ANACS holder. The majority of the respondents in my GTG poll over on CoinTalk guessed it at AU58.

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, congrats on 20 years here Rob! I still (and probably always will) have one of your elongated sets.

Great and very generous prizes. If I’m fortunate enough to win I’d love to have Coin E. :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Happy anniversary! Man, that’s a long time indeed.

I think we made many deals back in the day, one that sorta stands out was for a three brothers Thaler in a small white ANACS holders. It only sorta stands out as I can’t recall if I was the buyer or seller. Who knows, maybe both!

I also remember you telling the tale of an unfortunate and embarrassing restroom malfunction. That story had me laughing for weeks - even though I felt kinda bad for laughing.

edited August 9, 2021 9:50PM

@JamminJ said:
    Happy anniversary! Man, that’s a long time indeed.

I think we made many deals back in the day, one that sorta stands out was for a three brothers Thaler in a small white ANACS holders. It only sorta stands out as I can’t recall if I was the buyer or seller. Who knows, maybe both!

It wasn’t a Three Brothers thaler, because I didn’t acquire one of those until last year. I just recently swapped it away because it failed to straight-grade at PCGS. “Tooled”, they said, though I never saw any sign of that. I suspect there must have been a subtle mount removal on the edge. Too bad- it was a handsome coin. @Nathan401 has it now. We did a good swap.

Now I DID once have a Saxony thaler, of the “Sword on Shoulder” type, which, now that you mention it, was barely contained in an old small white ANACS holder. So that must have been the one. I think it was a 1558. I want another of both those types someday.

What I most remember most about you is how you use to make those supergrades like 66 and 67 on 17th century minors. Used to make my eyes pop!

@JamminJ said:
    I also remember you telling the tale of an unfortunate and embarrassing restroom malfunction. That story had me laughing for weeks - even though I felt kinda bad for laughing.

Umm, yeah- I sometimes have an unfortunate tendency for “oversharing”, which not everyone appreciates (just ask my boss). But I’m glad it had comedic side effects. I do not remember the specific incident you mention, though I do recall one such nightmare that went down at a coin show. An even worse one once happened while I was detecting in Savannah, but even I know not to share that graphic horror story outside my closest circle of friends at the NC Darkside gathering. I know I’ve never posted that one online!

Or I hope not, anyway! (Cringe)

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

A @JamminJ sighting! Holy cow! Long time, no see and I had figured you'd given up coins. Nice to see you (and still remember a particularly lovely 1 yen you had...). The only thing rarer would be an @Askari sighting :smiley: .

@Stork said:
    A @JamminJ sighting! Holy cow! Long time, no see and I had figured you'd given up coins. Nice to see you (and still remember a particularly lovely 1 yen you had...). The only thing rarer would be an @Askari sighting :smiley: .

Yeah!

I’d settle for a @spinaker2000 or @mongoose sighting.

• Happy Anniversary, LordM. I, of course, am going to abstain from enter the giveaway. But I wanted to wish you well.

We go way back, I think I may have joined in late 2001 or 2002 under my old Darkhorse moniker. I was very young, inexperienced, and with little money to spend. Which brings me to one of our first interactions: I bid on a very inexpensive two cent piece you were selling on eBay and I did a huge no-no and retracted the bid being so concerned about my finances. Sorry about that!

But we'd go on to have more professional encounters like when I had the opportunity to photograph some of your ancients. I'm not sure what I did with most of the pics, but I still have your Corinth Stater pics. Love that Pegasus.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

edited August 9, 2021 9:25PM

@PCGSPhoto said:
    Happy Anniversary, LordM. I, of course, am going to abstain from enter the giveaway. But I wanted to wish you well.

We go way back, I think I may have joined in late 2001 or 2002 under my old Darkhorse moniker. I was very young, inexperienced, and with little money to spend. Which brings me to one of our first interactions: I bid on a very inexpensive two cent piece you were selling on eBay and I did a huge no-no and retracted the bid being so concerned about my finances. Sorry about that!

But we'd go on to have more professional encounters like when I had the opportunity to photograph some of your ancients. I'm not sure what I did with most of the pics, but I still have your Corinth Stater pics. Love that Pegasus.

Phil! Great to see you! Thank you so much for dropping in, and for photographing some of my ancients on a private contract basis, since obviously they fall outside of your customary PCGS wheelhouse.

Alas, that Corinthian stater went away in my 2019 “pay the bills” purge, when my credit card debt got a bit beyond my comfort zone. But I still have some of the other coins you photographed.

The little Taras owl is my favorite.

(Actually, those aren't your photos in that pic above, but here they are:

If I may question you on a matter of curiosity, I was wondering how much you're still personally behind the TrueView lens, or if you're in a more administrative role these days? How many photographers do y'all have? As has been often said by me on the forums, the TrueView program is/was the primary reason most of my collection (at least the eligible post-ancient stuff) is in PCGS holders rather than ATS.

edited August 9, 2021 9:41PM

@pcgsphoto-

PS- I still sometimes use the old "Vadercoin" GIF you made, back in the day. :)

And I remember that beautiful Germania medal you had. I've kind of kept an eye out for that type since then. Post it, if you've still got the pix!

If you won't enter the giveaway (and I understand the likely corporate reasons for your abstinence), won't you let me send you a set of my elongated coins, at least?

• Sounds good! Glad that Vadercoin gif is still floating around. Heck, the Perth Mint may be making Niue coins that look exactly like that as we speak.

As for me, I still do a big chunk of the PCGS photos. There are three other photogs - Christina, Christopher and Azwar. There’s one full time editor (and a bunch of part time ones) who get the pics online.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Nathan401Nathan401 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary Rob! I would choose coin E, the Morgan.
    I remember sending you a silver Rhode Island Quarter in PCGS to represent my State. You sent me a cool Seated Quarter. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago now, it goes by in a flash! Our recent trade was great, I’ve gotten quite a few miles showing that beauty around the Coin Club. You’re a FANTASTIC member of numismatics!

edited August 12, 2021 4:29PM

@Nathan401 said:
    Happy Anniversary Rob! I would choose coin E, the Morgan.
    I remember sending you a silver Rhode Island Quarter in PCGS to represent my State. You sent me a cool Seated Quarter. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago now, it goes by in a flash! Our recent trade was great, I’ve gotten quite a few miles showing that beauty around the Coin Club. You’re a FANTASTIC member of numismatics!

I remember! (Mostly.). I think you piggybacked as a co-sponsor on some of my earlier CoinTalk giveaways, too.

@Stork said:
    A @JamminJ sighting! Holy cow! Long time, no see and I had figured you'd given up coins. Nice to see you (and still remember a particularly lovely 1 yen you had...). The only thing rarer would be an @Askari sighting :smiley:

Hey Stork!

I don’t collect actively but I read th she forums surprisingly regularly. When I switched computers my password went with it so I haven’t been online here in quite a while. The LordM anniversary was enough to motivate me to reset the password.

I still have the Yen, it’s pretty darn nice. I tried many times to upgrade the thing but it never happened. I still have some of the really high grade minors but have sold off most of the thalers.

Hope all is well with you. I remember a very nice set of Albanian coins along the way, and you living (stationed?) in Japan for a while - many years ago!

Take care! 🙃

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see some of the old guard posting. We even have a darkhorse sighting.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

@JamminJ said:

@Stork said:
    A @JamminJ sighting! Holy cow! Long time, no see and I had figured you'd given up coins. Nice to see you (and still remember a particularly lovely 1 yen you had...). The only thing rarer would be an @Askari sighting :smiley:

Hey Stork!

I don’t collect actively but I read th she forums surprisingly regularly. When I switched computers my password went with it so I haven’t been online here in quite a while. The LordM anniversary was enough to motivate me to reset the password.

I still have the Yen, it’s pretty darn nice. I tried many times to upgrade the thing but it never happened. I still have some of the really high grade minors but have sold off most of the thalers.

Hope all is well with you. I remember a very nice set of Albanian coins along the way, and you living (stationed?) in Japan for a while - many years ago!

Take care! 🙃

Warning: Thread Hijack Ahead! (Sorry LordM, but how often do I get to talk to JamminJ????)

The Albanian collection is alive and well. I'm down to a few last ones 'needed' (not counting the ones that don't actually exist), and have room to upgrade a bit. I've actually got a few in the current Heritage auction that have been upgraded and now that I'm gainfully unemployed aka retired it seemed wise to dump a few dupes. Albanian gold seems to be getting strong prices, we will see! https://ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/164777/

It's good to see you are still dropping by! And the LordM anniversary is a fine event.

It ain’t a thread hijack so much as a much-welcome reunion and celebration of old CU forum friends. That was the entire idea here all along. :)

• FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2021 9:39PM

I'm going slip in under the wire on this.
    Happy 20th Rob (again)!
    A few years ago I swapped a CAC bust half for your SSC shilling. Still have it, along with the gorgeous Irish penny and pre-WWII German 5 pfennig you included. On the extremely slim chance I'm picked, choosing the Morgan in ancient ANACS holder, or the Trajan as an alternate.
    Thanks for the opportunity!

@FallGuy said:
    I'm going slip in under the wire on this.
    Happy 20th Rob (again)!
    A few years ago I swapped a CAC bust half for your SSC shilling. Still have it, along with the gorgeous Irish penny and pre-WWII 5 pfennig you included. On the extremely slim chance I'm picked, choosing the Morgan in ancient ANACS holder, or the Trajan as an alternate.
    Thanks for the opportunity!

Oh boy, there’s another of my better “bygones”. PCGS MS63+, if I remember correctly. Ex-NGC MS64. Thanks for posting it- I had long ago forgotten who I swapped it to, though I certainly remember the Bust half you swapped me for it:

Thanks for stopping in!

It is now the 17th, and my anniversary, so it is time for the drawing!

That’s a bit more difficult here than it is on CoinTalk, since CT puts a sequential post number at the bottom of all posts, which I then use a random number generator on, to pick the winners.

What I’ll do here is print out this entire thread, hand-number all the entry posts (excluding my own posts and the merely conversational replies), and then plug those numbers into the random number generator.

Stand by- we’ll have a winner soon!

edited August 16, 2021 11:04PM

OK, that turned out to be easier than I thought.

There were 79 replies to this thread as of the time I did the drawing.

I put the numbers 1-79 in the random.org random number generator, and it produced Number 9 as our lucky number!

Coincidentally, that’s a lucky number I’ve chosen for myself many times.

It was easy to count down to the ninth reply to this thread.

That reply was by @cucumbor!

Congratulations, @cucumbor!

@Cucumbor said:
    Happy anniversary !

I know you from CT (where I've been a member for 16 years now) more than here (where I am kind of new), and I love your coin hat, your sense of humor and generosity !!
    Thanks for being who you are

Since we are more In US-coin-Land here at CU, should I win the prize I'd go for coin J

Thanks again

So it appears I will be sending a United States steel cent off to France. Remind me of your address in a PM, please, @cucumbor.

You are of course welcome to change your mind, and pick a different one of the coins listed in the introduction, or take a $50 credit to my presently-tiny CollecOnline store, if you want (free international shipping included).

But otherwise, you have won Coin J, the PCGS MS66 1943-D steel cent.

COIN J

United States: steel Lincoln Wheat cent, 1943-D
    PCGS MS66. Nice and lustrous; moreso than seen in the TrueView.
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/41321668

• CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Wow !
    Great, can't believe I won something !
    Thank you LM for a tremendous giveaway from the deepest of my hear. I'll send you my adress ASAP

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy anniversary @lordmarcovan !

You have touched a lot of people in your time here and I look forward to seeing your future posts.

Cheers
    -Luke

It's all about what the people want...

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cucumbor Congrats.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

@gumby1234 said:
    @Cucumbor Congrats.

Thanks. I feel very lucky !!!

edited August 17, 2021 3:54PM

@Cucumbor - c’est fait!

*I got the old stamps from @ajaan. They’re fun. Surprisingly, the original 70-80+ year old original glue on the back of them worked just fine when moistened! That William Penn stamp is 89 years old and just now being used for the first time. Who knows, maybe it is the last time one of that particular type will be used to mail a letter?

Congratulations to both LordM on his milestone, Cucombor for the win, and for the lucky postal employees who will surely get a laugh at looking at your stamps!

I can't wait !!

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 4:05AM

@lordmarcovan said:
    @Cucumbor - c’est fait!

*I got the old stamps from @ajaan. They’re fun. Surprisingly, the original 70-80+ year old original glue on the back of them worked just fine when moistened! That William Penn stamp is 89 years old and just now being used for the first time. Who knows, maybe it is the last time one of that particular type will be used to mail a letter?

>

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does that 2020 stamp look a bit "too familiar?"

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

@ZoidMeister said:
    Is it just me, or does that 2020 stamp look a bit "too familiar?"

Z

In what way? It’s a chrysanthemum, not a coronavirus. ;)

edited August 25, 2021 1:01PM

Just a quick update to inform the community I got my prize in the mail today, accompagnied with a HLEC*

• Homemade Lordmarcovan elongated coin :smile:

Thanks a lot Rob, its a beautiful prize !!