Home U.S. Coin Forum

Exonumia: a guide to Lord Marcovan custom elongated coins

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of you who have done business with me or won one of my giveaways might have seen some of these, so I thought I would post this for posterity. :)

These are my own custom elongated coins. I had the dies made and coins rolled out by Cindy Calhoun of "Cindy's Cents", who is president of TEC (The Elongated Collectors).

The design is the Scottish clan badge of the Clan Donnachaidh (Robertson). My mother's maiden name was Robertson, which is how I came to have that as my first name.

Few if any folks nowadays use older host coins for elongates, let alone silver, so I thought that would be fun.

Numismatic regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick
("lordmarcovan")

Here are the types:

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool 🌞

I’d like to see one made out of a key date coin, it can be a damaged one but you should still be able to make out the date and mintmark

Mr_Spud

• MrweaseluvMrweaseluv Posts: 213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 9:51PM

strangely, I have yet to add an elongated coin to my collection, I've got a few encased "lucky" cents and a few encased irradiated dimes but no elongateds... I think they have a machine over at york beach or maybe down at kittery trading post... might have to bring some "interesting" change with me this summer lol...

You may soar with the eagles, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!.
    https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/the-2020-20-large-cent-set.1855/

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for "archiving" here on the forum where these unique items will remain for posterity (or as long as PCGS continues to pay the server fees.)

I really like the way the Type 5 came out with so much of the original surface to include the date maintained.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool @lordmarcovan !
    I can't think of a better use for worn-out common Mercury Dimes..... certainly cooler now than when they were just a worn-out dime. B)

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome stuff Rob !!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two Type One elongated cents and one Type Two elongate Mercury dime (1944) from @lordmarcovan .... Thanks LordM...they are special and I keep them here by my computer. Cheers, RickO

Seems I almost lied LOL... My woman has one... with the lords prayer on the back (1971 lincoln)... in the bottom of her purse no less :D

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great, ‘cause I long ago forgot who’s gotten what!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rats, as a Barber nut, I missed that Barber dime!

oh, well, better luck next time

Frank

BHNC #203

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool & informative... I was also lucky enough to acquire a few of Robert's custom elongated coins.
    Thanks for sharing... B)

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like my set, too!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a set from his Lordship: >:)B):p

edited March 26, 2021 2:16PM

yup yup spoke too soon :D arrived today with my 1782 5 Kopek... I have given it a place of honor on my desk (the elongated, still trying to figure out what to do the the 5 kopek... it doesn't fit anywhere lol) :D

• jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

"These are my own custom elongated coins. I had the dies made and coins rolled out by Cindy Calhoun of "Cindy's Cents", who is president of TEC (The Elongated Collectors)."

just to add Cindy is A warm generous person with a very extensive Elongated Cent collection and I always look forward to seeing her at the fall PAN show in Pittsburgh

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some more generous extras that I received from “The Lord” :)

@CoinHoarder said:
    Here are some more generous extras that I received from “The Lord” :)

Ah, so I doubled you up on the Churchill crowns, apparently. That’s the problem- I never remember who I sent what to, anymore.

The postcard came from the Dahlonega Mint museum. We visited there two autumns ago, when our daughter was looking at colleges up there in N. GA.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool!

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Rob, those are awesome! I'm especially fond of the silver pieces!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a 1919 dime? I see a doubled die obverse! :o

Just kidding (I hope) though lordmarcovan has had (un)luck like that in the past.

@asheland said:

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

edited March 27, 2021 9:57PM

@WinLoseWin said:

Is that a 1919 dime? I see a doubled die obverse! :o

Just kidding (I hope) though lordmarcovan has had (un)luck like that in the past.

@asheland said:

He did indeed get a 1919 dime. (VIP piece.) ;)

I think there was one 1918 too, maybe. Obviously I tried to minimize the number of hundred-year-old dimes that got squashed, and went with common ‘40s and late-‘30s pieces most of the time.

One unique piece (probably Cindy’s die test) got done on a clad Roosie, so that one’s unique.

What “(un)luck” have I had before?

Oh yeah. That whole “selling a five-figure Draped Bust half discovery coin of a previously unknown Overton variety for 75 bucks” thing?

Yeah, well, there IS that. LOL

(But hey, I only had about 40 bucks in it, so I nearly doubled my investment, right? Right?)

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rob
    There is no doupt that horse trading with you ,one always ends up on the better end of the deal.
    Its always been a pleasure dealing ,trading,etc.... and foremost knowing we are good fridnds to boot..... even texting ar 2 am lol. Its all good!

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

@HalfDimeDude said:
    Rob
    There is no doupt that horse trading with you ,one always ends up on the better end of the deal.
    Its always been a pleasure dealing ,trading,etc.... and foremost knowing we are good fridnds to boot..... even texting ar 2 am lol. Its all good!

Ah, there you are. Welcome to CU!

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some of these. They're very fun.

It was nice getting them with the coins I bought. We always do like giveaways or tokens or masks for our customers. So it was very nice to get something unexpectedly.

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2021 6:38AM

@lordmarcovan said:

@HalfDimeDude said:
    Rob

Ah, there you are. Welcome to CU!

Thanks Rob I am enjoying the forum ery much! I appreciate you giving me the heads up.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

There will be a Type 6 run in 2023. They will be rolled on Buffalo nickels.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a fun thing to do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file