Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some better strike Buffalo Nickels for your entertainment

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because. A couple of these have been posted before but just took some fresh pictures.
Sorry these display pretty large, not sure how to get the forum to size them smaller.
1913 Type 1

1913-D Type 1

1929-S

1935 -currently raw

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed.
Feel free to add some of your own.

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look great 🌜

Mr_Spud

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    This proof was probably among the first struck from newly polished dies. All “distractions” you see in the two photos are just reflections, as none appear on the coin in hand. Talk about “watery, liquid silver”!
    PCGS PR67+, with CAC:

amazing.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TriPodBuffaloTriPodBuffalo Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Very nice looking herd.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven ... I have never seen a Buff like that one... Incredible.
    @ChrisH821... No need to apologize for the large photo's... they are great... and the coins are really nice.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @winesteven ... I have never seen a Buff like that one... Incredible.
    @ChrisH821... No need to apologize for the large photo's... they are great... and the coins are really nice.
    Cheers, RickO

@ricko - Screw the CAC already on my Proof Buffalo - can I get the highly coveted Ricko BW sticker (Blast White) for that coin? BTW, it’s been MANY months since I’ve seen you award that cherished sticker to ANY coins on this forum.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Sorry these display pretty large, not sure how to get the forum to size them smaller."

Large is good!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

My recent purchase.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@winesteven.... I recently had a computer crash - MAJOR crash....and seems I have lost a bunch of stuff, my sticker among the lost files. Been trying for a couple of weeks to get stuff back... but no luck on the sticker yet. Your Buff would certainly get one. Cheers, RickO

• Options

That's an outstanding strike and die state for the date, gumby1234!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest Thanks. That is why I bought it
    Tough date with a nice strike.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @winesteven.... I recently had a computer crash - MAJOR crash....and seems I have lost a bunch of stuff, my sticker among the lost files. Been trying for a couple of weeks to get stuff back... but no luck on the sticker yet. Your Buff would certainly get one. Cheers, RickO

Oh, so sad :'( . In all seriousness, I hope you can get everything fixed. With only a bit less seriousness, the numismatic community is at a great loss without your ability to selectively apply the coveted BW sticker.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven... Thank you... will continue to try.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my favorite Buffalo. No Blast White here.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    Here is my favorite Buffalo. No Blast White here.
    Jim

Very pretty and a helluva strike!

• Options

@ChrisH821 ... Thanks Chris... and Yes, it was in grey/silver shades. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@winesteven .... Here you go... Finally found it.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 29-s is the biggest standout in my opinion.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

I, too like that '29-S. It's just a whisper away from a full strike. Only .6% of the date came with a full strike in my extensive strike study of the series.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking examples here👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

ChrisH821-is your 1913 Var 1 a matte proof? It has the rims, surfaces, and strike of one.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:

I agree, it's really something else. It's graded 65+ and if I remember correctly I bought it from Stuppler last year(or so).
    Believe it or not I am having a hard time finding a 1935 that stands up to the one I have pictured above. It will be going to PCGS so that I can include it in my registry date set. After that I will only need a 1924 but I'm having a very hard time finding one that I like.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're all nice but I like the 17 the most.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    ChrisH821-is your 1913 Var 1 a matte proof? It has the rims, surfaces, and strike of one.

It is not, that one was a raw ebay purchase that ended up grading MS66. It really does stand out from the others though.
    The seller had it listed as one of those bid or buy now type auctions, I really liked the look so I used the buy now option which was really quite reasonable.
    Here is the trueview for that one:

• Options

Here is a 1913 var 1 I have that I could have sworn was a proof. After two trips to our host it graded Mint state both times. The edge is the key with these things.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 2:30PM

1924 is a tough date for strike and color, as are most 1920s dates. This was just sent in and will complete my toned date set. Not a full strike but it’s 1920s good.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@clarkbar04 said:

I agree, it's really something else. It's graded 65+ and if I remember correctly I bought it from Stuppler last year(or so).
    Believe it or not I am having a hard time finding a 1935 that stands up to the one I have pictured above. It will be going to PCGS so that I can include it in my registry date set. After that I will only need a 1924 but I'm having a very hard time finding one that I like.

Looks like a solid 66 if not 66+ to me.

• Options

Nice color, nice strike. Nice coin!

• Options
    Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    1924 is a tough date for strike and color, as are most 1920s dates. This was just sent in and will complete my toned date set. Not a full strike but it’s 1920s good.

Very nice 24!

@Off_Cent_er 1914 was one that I had a tough time finding that I liked. Seemed like the majority of them have major die clashes that I wanted to avoid. Yours looks pretty solid!

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

Check out the reverse on my 24. The flattened D in united is a pretty good match.

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

ChrisH821,

This 29 S is in a 65 holder. I figured I had to buy it when I saw it as the strike seemed unbeatable. But now I see yours....

I need that 17 and 23 for my set. So feel free send it my way when your done with them <3

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 8:04PM

@FullHorn said:

@clarkbar04 said:

Check out the reverse on my 24. The flattened D in united is a pretty good match.

the "TED STAT" area is frequently flat because it is opposite of the high relief shoulder/date area that is opposite of it.

• Options

@FullHorn said:
    ChrisH821,

This 29 S is in a 65 holder. I figured I had to buy it when I saw it as the strike seemed unbeatable. But now I see yours....

I need that 17 and 23 for my set. So feel free send it my way when your done with them <3

Still a very nice strike. If I ever upgrade those two, which will be tough to do, I'll let you know!

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    This proof was probably among the first struck from newly polished dies. All “distractions” you see in the two photos are just reflections, as none appear on the coin in hand. Talk about “watery, liquid silver”!
    PCGS PR67+, with CAC:

I love wet look proofs....actually more than frost

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Some real nice Buffs posted here. I only buy well struck coins so its of interest to me. I consider the strike the most important aspect of a coin.

• Options

@FullHorn said:

@clarkbar04 said:

That is a pretty nice 1924. Nice strike, too.

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    Some real nice Buffs posted here. I only buy well struck coins so its of interest to me. I consider the strike the most important aspect of a coin.

On this series the strike is critical, as is the die state.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think these 3 here might qualify

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

The 1921 issue typically comes with an excellent strike but your 1923 is unusual and outstanding! You don't see many 1923 dated coins struck like that. Broadstrikes almost always show full or near full strikes in the centers of the coin.

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

From someone who’s primary goal was to pursue a well struck set, I can truly appreciate your accomplishments. Here are some that are pretty rudely struck .

• Options

@ad4400 I really like that 1920!

• Options

That's some amazing stuff, Alain! The '36-D looks to be 99%+ fully struck-the reverse appears to be 100% and the 1920 is a wonder-100% fully struck, very unusual for the date! Full strikes for that date comprise only .6% of the issue. Nice die states on all three, too. And, of course, that is a very nice two feather on that '13-D.

Here's my fully struck 1920. Can't compare to yours, tho-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file