Home U.S. Coin Forum

Share your recent purchase and let us know why you got that item

SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that we have other threads to share your most recent purchases, but I also find it interesting to find out why that particular coin/token. Sometimes it’s the coin, sometimes it’s the situation, sometimes it pure impulse.

For me, this arrived today. I have posted that I work on a gold type set. I am getting down to either upgrading or adding a few very pricey(for me) coins. In order to satisfy the cravings for a new item, while saving the funds for say a Dahlonega coin, I decided that maybe I would add a classic gold commem. To be honest, I always kind of hated them…However, recently, I have begun to appreciate them and I thought the prices for what you get were actually reasonable compared to other items I want in this hot market. I have been looking to add this commem. or a 1916/17 McKinley for about a month, as I thought some were reasonably priced, I saw a number of dealers that had nice ms63 coins available, but I thought the price was a tad high…This coin came up at auction, I bid slightly higher than the coins I saw at ms63, partly to follow and establish a better price baseline, but also hoping I might win. About 7 days later, it gets added to the gold type collection. Here it is…

I have some others coming soon, but they have a totally different reason on why they were added.

I hope others will share.

Comments

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2021 4:33AM

@markelman1125 said:
    Got these 2 weeks ago, not too recent but my most recent and I am still very exited about them.

I can see why you're very excited. Nice looking coins.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW-your coin is a beauty!

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have an image but my newest addition is one of the 2020 Hubble dollars. I've been fascinated by the Hubble and it's pictured for most of my life and had to get the coin honoring it.

I also built a model of it last year but broke part of in the process, unfortunately.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m building a set of toned Franklin’s and thought this one had fully original luster…LOL

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought these on release day. I live in NH and also a lifelong gamer so I felt obligated! I will not grade any of these. Most are in bad shape from sloshing around in the bag I guess. So I will hand them out for tips or etc over time. Seems like most don't care for the design but I like it. The downside is most people have no clue what this is (or probably any innovation dollar) so makes them pretty awkward to spend.

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

2010 Cook Islands $5 "Saint Helena of Constantinople" with this coin added to registry set, "100 Greatest Women on Coins" - still #2. 1/0.

1952-D Franklin with fully original mint luster….

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnWithTheHunt said:
    Because I always wanted one and the price was right.

I agree! After owning a 66 Oregon for ten years I finally broke down and bought a different year 67.

@DisneyFan said:

@OnWithTheHunt said:
    Because I always wanted one and the price was right.

I agree! After owning a 66 Oregon for ten years I finally broke down and bought a different year 67.

I’m not a huge commemorative fan but the Oregon Trail and Texas are beautiful coins.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another day in the life.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Russell12Russell12 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

Bought this because I like it! Just starting to add commemoratives to my collection and I am just going to buy the ones I like. This is the third one for that collection.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2021 6:27AM

Decided to listen to the advice about books 🤓

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because my pool is getting dirty. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@asheland said:
    I needed a Saint for my gold type set, but wanted one that was better than just generic gold price. This one fit the bill:

For myself, I went out and bought the entire Type Set to help fill a bigger Capital Plastics Expanded 20th Century Type Set.

Goal: All uncirculated.

The '27 Saint is fantastic in color and luster but a bit lower in grade. Perhaps I update that with this other newp a 1908 NM in 63. The '27 is about an MS62 and much flashier!

'08 NM PC63

'27 Saint (raw state)

@TurtleCat I really love your first $3 gold piece... and it is a '74. I just obtained my first $3 gold as well. Wanted uncirculated so had to go common. Learned these are not cheap across the entire series. The newp won't fit in the big Type though:

• Tim

Nice 1854 $3!

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought it because I think it's beautiful. That's my only reason.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upgraded these coins to my set

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2021 7:15PM

Reasons:

Only 18x face. Mixture of dimes, including Barber dimes!
    Possible varieties!
    60 dimes

Roosevelts, Mercurys and Barbers.

1939d FB. Acetone Bath in the future

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty little PF-66 DCAM Love the rim toning and originality.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file