Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will the price of 1921 Peace Dollars hold up?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 Peace Dollars have went up greatly in price leading up to the 100 year anniversary in 2021.

Do you look for prices to hold or fall back in 2022 once the 100 year hype and the Mints 2021 Peace Dollar has cooled off a bit?

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2021 10:42PM

I’m really hopeful that they cool off. It’s a coin I’ve wanted for a long time and am not going to buy one in this run up.
    I’m at a spot to reach for a coin and this was going to be at the top of my list. I’m sure whatever I get will be up in the last year, but not as dramatically as the ‘21 Peace.
    If prices hold on for a few years, maybe then, but I expect there to be a bit of a bubble on them. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking and I’ll look back and say I should have done it when they were still relatively cheap (like I am now).

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

The MS64 through MS66s appear to have jumped according to the PCGS price guide with $4500 for MS65. Keep your eye on the two MS65s at Great Collections this week. The last six sold were in the $2200 - $2900 range with a $3700 outliner. The previous high in recent history was $2700 in February, 2007 and the recent $1800 appears to be an abnormal low.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like they are in a bubble and should go down, but the high prices might last into 2022.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect it to go back down in a year or two. It may not go back to where it was but it won’t keep going up.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not in the mood to buy any right now, so I guess that indicates my belief that they might come back down a bit.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 5:47AM

It is a spike, and it will not last. We saw some similar situations with the Washington Quarter series when the State Quarters were issued.

If I were smart I’d sell one I have and buy another one a year or so from now.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

100th anniversary? Good time for promoting a coin. Good time to sell if you have one, wait 2 or 3 years if you are looking for one.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2021 5:54AM

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    100th anniversary? Good time for promoting a coin. Good time to sell if you have one, wait 2 or 3 years if you are looking for one.

That is the reason for my question,,,,,, I have (2) 1921 Peace Dollars,,,,,, thinking about selling one of them.

Thanks for the responses.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I m thinking spike/bubble, but only time will tell.
    I can't bring myself to pay well over $1k for an MS64, I have sold one though.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping it's a temporary spike, as I would like to upgrade mine. The thing is, it has gotten a lot of attention this year as a one-year type, and now has lots of people realizing that attractive coins with a decent strike are not common. Once the Well-Managed Promotion™ is done, they'll get cheaper, but I don't think the prices hit 2018 levels.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around 2025, prices should have settled back to 2019 levels. Will take a while, especially since those buying at these inflated prices will want to recoup some of their cost. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree prices will stabilize at a lower level. Right now, there is an influx of lower grade PCGS 1921s on the market- especially so on eBay (I count 12 examples as I write this).

peacockcoins

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 11:07AM

This 1921 PEACE thread needed an image or two:

Odd, PCGS is not recognizing

E7356.58/37953858
    or

QR code works on my phone as I can see PCGS gold seal images

Weird ?

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checking auction prices gives some interest results. I draw my own conclusions. YMMV

3/20 was the first auction sale of a 64 over $1000 - CAC at $1,320 - The same month (different sale) PCGS MS65 non-CAC sold for $1500. I haven't yet formulated a discontinuous equation that can describe the price variances in 65.

------ PCGS/CAC - AUCT pops 3/20 - 6/21
    64 - 4646 - 568 - 45/9
    65 - 1488 - 242 - 40/10

BTW, I almost went blind in the pops and prices area- apolgie3s, but digits are off, the overall proportions are not.

MS64 - 1%, 0.2% of the CACs
    MS65 - 3%, 4% of the CACs

Not much to see here beyond a stickering premium.

Not a boom, but a CAC auction boomlet. I don't know how many are trading privately. Retailers will not be offering bargains. Biggest retail "victims" - buyers of the best coins that don't make CAC priced at the same "bid" (whatever that means today)

My superficial analysis? - If the trends in trading volume are any hint or indicator, CAC prices are exploding when continuing supply of both PCGS and CAC seems relatively flat, Call what we're looking at an irrational/disproportionate over-reaction in pricing to recent market revaluations of rarity/quality/availability.

Demand, however you might measure it, will fall by mid-2022. CAC 64s will thud down to 112% of what they were before this "trend" started.by the end of 2022. CAC 65's will slide but little. Weakly-struck clean virgin B+ whiteness/brightness coins will be overpriced. White full(ish) strike prices will hold up very well.

I'd welcome @jmlanzaf's take on this.

Just as a matter of establishing some sense of proportion, there are likely more Forum members following this phenomenon than there are potential annualized buyers :o

Signed,
    Professor Irwin Corey
    lab assistant to John von Neuman

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 12:53PM

Prices are sticky, they'll retreat somewhat slowly, but not as slow as other recent examples have. A good recent example to examine would be the 09-S VDB's in 2008-Present. Market is still dropping on those last I looked.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@LindyS said:

Odd, PCGS is not recognizing

E7356.58/37953858
    or

QR code works on my phone as I can see PCGS gold seal images

Weird ?

Just worked for me. That's a really cool coin!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace dollars with errors aren't terribly common. Neat coin.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they will hold for a year or two as well

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the phrase the financial and economic heads are using? Transitory inflation? Yeah that’s what we have here. Though I suppose high grade CAC coins may hold up. Raw Xf/AU coins with weak strikes, etc., probably less so.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

If someone had accumulated a roll or two of nice circ '21 Peace dollars over the years, (most XF, some AU -Unc), would now be the time to part with them?
    Are there any big marketers needing them to pair up with this year's; desperate enough to be offering a significant premium?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it will be a while before prices come down.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you didn’t want a MS64 at $800 why would you think about it at $2000 ?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

That's a fair question, but there is plenty of marketing theory that shows that the same item can be more attractive at a higher price. Have you never watched an item auctioned on eBay going month after month with the minimum bid reduced and not getting bids, then one person bids and it ends up going for considerably more than the previous minimum bid?

• Options
    IKUIKU Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 11:11PM

Whole 100 anniversary is raising prices of Morgan+Peace about +30-40%.
    I live in Europe and I used to import/buy these coins [Note: shipping+24% customs included]

• Pre 2020 MS-63:s were 60-70euros.
    • Pre 2020 MS-64:s were 70-100euros.
    • Pre 2020 MS-65:s were 100-200+euros. Never bought 65 because kind of expensive and don't want to spend that much money. I buy lower grades.

Now total prices with shipping and customs are +30-40% higher on those prices.
    MS-63 are starting from 90euro.
    MS-64 are starting from 130euro.
    MS-65 are starting from +200euro.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

I wanted one at $800, and still do. I just didn’t have the resources when they were that price. I do not, however, feel like paying $2k+ for a coin I’ve been thinking about reaching to $800-1000 for (and I’m not just going to buy lower quality at the moment, I’ll just hold off).
    I’ll revisit the coin when prices come down or when they stabilize and my resources have increased.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few months ago I bought a really nice one but after speaking to a wise coin dealer at the Manchester coin show who I am friends with, he recommended to sell while the hype was still going and buy a new 1921 when the craze is over and there price drops. I listened and sold my 1921. I think it was a wise choice for me and I used the money to buy my 1883 PR CAC pcgs seated liberty quarter

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

My answer is a question: "Why would the price of 1921 Peace Dollars hold up?"

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

You are the expert,,,,, you tell me,

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

^
    That gem is sweet! A stronger strike would have probably provided even a higher grade.

peacockcoins

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

Were the prices depressed before the run up, or do you think they were about right in comparison to the rest of the market? I assumed they were in line, but had nothing to base it on.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2021 11:35AM

Price will fall. Got rid of mine taking profit bought some Mexico slabbed silver onzas 1oz PCGS 69 &70. Plus planning send some WPM in for PCGS grading. Looking for slabbed Mexico Caballito Pesos KM 453 1910-14 and revolutionary Banco Notes.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@GRANDAM said:

@MFeld said:

You are the expert,,,,, you tell me,

I don't think prices will hold up.

Yea I have bean hearing this from many people. They hype will end and the price will crash. I was told by many that better to sell now and buy later when the price drops

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@JimTyler said:

That's a fair question, but there is plenty of marketing theory that shows that the same item can be more attractive at a higher price. Have you never watched an item auctioned on eBay going month after month with the minimum bid reduced and not getting bids, then one person bids and it ends up going for considerably more than the previous minimum bid?

It's more than just theory. It's evident in how financial markets work too. Almost everyone seems to want stocks now and wanted it in 2000 and 2007. Far fewer wanted it in 1982.

Lower prices generate demand for most consumer discretionary items. Higher prices have the opposite effect on "investments". Coins straddle both, depending upon the coin.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been about 14 months since the last post on this thread. Those that have been following the market for this coin, how has it changed over the past year and what does it look like now? I bought a PCGS 62 CAC last September, and am considering upgrading to a 63 or 64.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    JMoo100JMoo100 Posts: 112 ✭✭

I’m reading this thread and wondering how active folks are in rebalancing their numismatic portfolios. With transactions costs 10%+ online and retail bid/ask spreads even wider, why would a collector sell now to buy later unless you were expecting a dramatic fallout. I also recognize that many in this thread are dealers

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    It’s been about 14 months since the last post on this thread. Those that have been following the market for this coin, how has it changed over the past year and what does it look like now? I bought a PCGS 62 CAC last September, and am considering upgrading to a 63 or 64.

Down a little from last year, up a lot from 2020. Linky

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a ms 63 vam3 that was in an ogh that I cracked a few years ago for the attribution. I regret cracking it now since ogh are bringing premium prices currently.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

I like my AU 58 better than a mushy struck 62 0r 63. Now CAC too.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the usual story, high end issues will stay strong with low end issues losing price and interest.

I bought a large group of 1921 Peace dollars that were VG and better, had them graded and sold on ebay before the price spike. I have a lower grade problem issue that I paid too much for and will break even or lose money on.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weiss
    That’s a magnificent specimen. Would you mind posting a couple pictures of obverse and reverse. Thanks 😉🦫🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2022 5:12AM

Fantastic.
    Thanks for posting, I’m really trying to learn more about this series.
    Great idea , I appreciate you setting some tarnished examples for comparison.
    Not much comparison, it’s obvious what a magnificent specimen that blazer truly
    is. Awesome 😉🦫🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2022 8:16AM

1921 Peace Dollars always in demand. I would be surprised to see them fall.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file