Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Anti-Counterfeit Edge?

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

July 20'th marks the release of the new Type-2 Proof ASE. The mint states: "Enhanced security features include an anti-counterfeit reeded edge variation" Does anyone know what that means? Will there be odd spacing of the reeds, or perhaps some secret laser marks?

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reed variation is the missing reed just under the 1 in the date that can be seen the the third photo.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2021-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-21EAN.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not an expert on such things, but how hard would it be to counterfeit a coin with a missing reed?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will get one of these (enrolled, I can avoid the rush).... It will be interesting to examine in hand. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    I'm not an expert on such things, but how hard would it be to counterfeit a coin with a missing reed?

It’s probably the missing reed in combination with exact positioning and maybe a few other things. At least that’s what I suspect. They definitely won’t use it in isolation. Still, it doesn’t help the end consumer all that much if they don’t have a simple way to verify authenticity.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever works.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it is just another marketing gimmick. :D
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will it now be an error if the missing reed is not in in the correct spot (rotated dies)?

• Options

Thanks @Kliao I see it now, how interesting. I agree with @MWallace, if you're actually
    making a coin like this, would this last reed detail be the step that stops you from counterfeiting?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

obviously it won't stop counterfeits, nothing will BUT as those of us that have spent a lot of time studying them, raw and slabbed, the more that gets thrown at them the more mistakes they will make and they make a lot which will make slowing them down a bit easier.

i say throw 100 security features at them and watch em fumble. they couldn't even spell simple words properly, not make non-existent dates/mm combos, mixed up coin type obv/rev combos, bad fonts and the list goes on.

the challenge is getting the information to the legit consumers that have little to no desire to learn such things and just want to buy this stuff and there are a lot.

for the rest of us that attempt to educate others and thwart the forgeries, we can take this knowledge forward and give the dishonest folks one heck of a run for their money. :wink::smiley:

it is a bid disappointing how many folks i contact on just ebay that have supposedly no idea of this site let alone have an account for it but i'm pressing.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    obviously it won't stop counterfeits, nothing will BUT as those of us that have spent a lot of time studying them, raw and slabbed, the more that gets thrown at them the more mistakes they will make and they make a lot which will make slowing them down a bit easier.

i say throw 100 security features at them and watch em fumble. they couldn't even spell simple words properly, not make non-existent dates/mm combos, mixed up coin type obv/rev combos, bad fonts and the list goes on.

the challenge is getting the information to the legit consumers that have little to no desire to learn such things and just want to buy this stuff and there are a lot.

for the rest of us that attempt to educate others and thwart the forgeries, we can take this knowledge forward and give the dishonest folks one heck of a run for their money. :wink::smiley:

it is a bid disappointing how many folks i contact on just ebay that have supposedly no idea of this site let alone have an account for it but i'm pressing.

I think there are always going to be the individual buyers who will impulse buy a small number without knowing anything about the coins and how many are counterfeit. The security measures are probably most helpful in avoiding large bulk numbers from getting into the normal supplychain.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    The reed variation is the missing reed just under the 1 in the date that can be seen the the third photo.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2021-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-21EAN.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

Yeah that will deter them. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    To me it is just another marketing gimmick. :D
    Wayne

"First Stikes" just weren't selling enough anymore.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited July 2, 2021 6:33PM

I remember a TPG coin holder that was "Puffed" up on the obverse side that actually showed the rim (whoever sold it advertised it as a "3 surface" slab.) It was on a ASE and the darn things would not stack properly so I sold it, I think they also came with a plastic stand that would show the coin upright, kinda like a plate holder. Anybody remember ??

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opened the 2021 ASE Uncirculated Coin minted at West Point (W) with the anti-counterfeit reeded edge variation and was left wondering as to how a missing reed can make a difference.

I mean if somthing was stamped in between that empty space it is understandable, but it is not, which means no great shakes and nothing major that a fine needle file cannot accomplish for the counterfeiters.

Or am I really missing something here :neutral:

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

I believe I read there are other anti-counterfeiting measures that were also added but not revealed. I think a lot of these technologies are coming from the UK and Canada.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

What good is an anti-counterfeiting measure that no one knows about?
    I didn’t know that there was a big problem of people counterfeiting these. One more reason to enjoy reading here.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    What good is an anti-counterfeiting measure that no one knows about?

I think the US Mint and the Secret Service would know. ;)
    I've heard of hidden anti-counterfeiting measures on paper money but never on coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting thread on the same topic from the Q&A forum...

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any attempt at more security and proof of being genuine is better that no attempt at all.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should encode the date and mint mark into the number and position of missing reeds.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

Wouldn't removing a reed affect the weight? Ever so slightly?

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

Unless I am mistaken, the mass of a coin is dictated by the planchet.

During striking, "when the dies come together, the planchet metal flows into the shape of the design. A collar placed around the planchet prevents the metal from expanding too much. It also forms the edge design, whether smooth, reeded, or lettered."
    Source, Step #5

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@Onastone said:

No. The missing reeds are are in the collar, not removed after striking. The weight is determined by the planchet. Under striking pressure, the metal flows/deforms to fill whatever gaps are in the die and coll.

And that means that the more reeds that are suppressed, the better the strike on the coin!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@Oldhoopster said:

@Onastone said:

No. The missing reeds are are in the collar, not removed after striking. The weight is determined by the planchet. Under striking pressure, the metal flows/deforms to fill whatever gaps are in the die and coll.

And that means that the more reeds that are suppressed, the better the strike on the coin!

Did the unreeded 2016 ASE have better strikes?

• Options
    edited October 10, 2021 3:46PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            .

• Options

@Onastone said:

@moursund said:

@Oldhoopster said:

@Onastone said:

Did the unreeded 2016 ASE have better strikes?

Send me a few dozen, and some with reeds for comparisono, and I'll let you know...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with undisclosed anticounterfeiting measures is:

Who do you send the suspicious ones to and would they even care to look.

Of course should they ever get a large batch in customs that’s a different story. But how many times has that happened?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Seems to me a Missing reed would be the easiest for counterfeiters to copy

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 6:09PM

Question: do the new buffs have a missing reed?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file