Home Q & A Forum
Options

New ASE's with the missing reed- WHY

gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does leaving 1 reed off the ASE make it any less prone to counterfeiting? It seems to me the counterfeiter would just leave off that 1 reed as well.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nonsense. Maybe someone could fake the coin, but fake the reading as well? :D:D

I guess a counterfeiter who is not observant will mess up.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with your point. That said, I am not sure that the missing reed is all the Mint did to enhance security.

Per this interview with Ryder back in 2019, the Mint was pursuing a three-tiered approach.

~ Level #1 - an overt feature for the general public;
    ~ Level #2 - a trade-specific feature;
    ~ Level #3 - a covert feature for forensic detection.

The relevant segment starts at 7:24.

• Options

Interesting but I wish he went into more detail about the anti-counterfeiting measures.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too.

I am assuming that the lack of details is intentional. They probably want to keep the L2 and L3 measures, if implemented, a 'secret' for as long as possible.

• Options

Not sure what #2 is, but #3 could be some kind of marker mixed with the metal like they do with the new pound coins in the UK. The only issue with that would be that they are supposed to be pure silver.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Not sure what #2 is, but #3 could be some kind of marker mixed with the metal like they do with the new pound coins in the UK. The only issue with that would be that they are supposed to be pure silver.

PPM (parts per million) levels of an addition would not affect .999 or .9999 fine bullion. Depending on the tracer element addition, detecting a few PPM shouldn't be too difficult.

When I worked in the glass industry, we would evaluate the convection currents (very important to proper mixing) of a 500,000 lb tank by tossing in 500 grams of a materials like cerium oxide and yttrium oxide at various locations and then seeing when they start coming out the bottom.

Maybe send a couple of samples to @jmlanzaf and he can have his students figure out the tracer. Sounds like a good chemistry/materials science project.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

@JBK said:

PPM (parts per million) levels of an addition would not affect .999 or .9999 fine bullion. Depending on the tracer element addition, detecting a few PPM shouldn't be too difficult.

When I worked in the glass industry, we would evaluate the convection currents (very important to proper mixing) of a 500,000 lb tank by tossing in 500 grams of a materials like cerium oxide and yttrium oxide at various locations and then seeing when they start coming out the bottom.

Maybe send a couple of samples to @jmlanzaf and he can have his students figure out the tracer. Sounds like a good chemistry/materials science project.

We could do a trace metal analysis non-destructively

• Options

Hmmm. Is there a chance for 2021 metal mules? T1 Silver Eagles made from T2 metal? I assume that it might be common.

• Options

@JBK maybe a T1 with a missing reed?