Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need Help - Legit 1914 D cent?

SqueekstyleSqueekstyle Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2021 6:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found this 1914 D Lincoln cent in an old Whitman folder and I am having a hard time figuring out if it is real or fake:

Thank for the help!

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out this website for 14D Diagnostics. You may have to have better pics to be certain.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I am no expert on this, but it does not look like an altered 44-d which is a common alteration

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not an expert either, but I don't see any engraver's initials and the spacing between the 9 and 1 looks pretty good. If it's an added MM someone did a heck of a job. I'd wait for a real expert to come along, but it looks legit to these untrained eyes...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

The inside of the D is triangular as it should be

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just taking a quick look at the images, nothing is causing me to question the coin’s authenticity.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a 44-D

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok to me.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Just taking a quick look at the images, nothing is causing me to question the coin’s authenticity.

So it's real - not a fake!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    SqueekstyleSqueekstyle Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for helping, I truly appreciate it.

Cheers!

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several certified examples to compare. This one looks OK to my eyes.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1914-D looks good to me,

For reference, here is a 1944-D cent that has been altered to 1914-D

And is a guide to the genuine and fake coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks authentic to me also. Not the typical altered '4'......and the mint mark appears in the right position. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 9:12AM

it looks good to me on the 14 d, i goy iy mixed up with another item, my apologies

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say that it is an authentic 14 D and not an altered coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    I say that it is an authentic 14 D and not an altered coin.
    Wayne

It's as real as they get.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears real, or appears to be one hell of a real-looking fake.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authentic to me.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I was always told that a line from the bottom of the 1 through the tip of the 9 should align with the top corner serif of the D mintmark. It doesn;t seem to on this coin. Also the inside shape of the D mintmark is kinda suspect to me.

• Options

Surely it does not :)
    Did you mean tip of the 1 and bottom of the 9?

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options

Forget that - I didn't read it right.... sorry

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I've seen a 32-d Washington quarter were they worked up a blob and then carved (tried to carve) the center out and make it look like a legit "D". If you look closely around this mintmark area it may have been worked over some too. Just my opinion. It could just be the tip (tail) of the 9 is worn or late die state and doesn't reach down as far.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can tell one thing it's not a sugar daddy. Also, its tough too call it a double D.
    All other fields seem original.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file