Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another addition to my proof Trade Dollar set, an 1875 and its a Garrett

truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 21, 2021 9:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

and the fact that it is an ex T. Harrison Garrett makes it even more special to me

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that is one nice looking coin.Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I prefer the 1/1 but that is a special coin

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it...Gorgeous color on that 75. A great addition @trueblood

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it, and I agree the T. Harrison Garrett pedigree adds alot!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A proof Trade Dollar is just a beautiful coin. Cheers, RickO

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

spectacular!

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super!

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin! And one of my favorite provenances- 39 years old when he drowned- imagine what his collection would have been like had he lived a full life!

“Baltimore June 8 - While out yachting in his yacht, Gleam, with a party of friends yesterday, Mr. T. Harrison Garrett was drowned. The Gleam was struck by the steamer Joppa and Mr. Garrett jumped and caught the bow chains of the Joppa, which parted and he fell into the sea and was drowned. the remainder of the passengers and crew of the Gleam were saved. Mr. Garrett was manager of the firm of Robert Garrett & Sons, which was founded by Robert Garrett, his grandfather.

Abilene Daily Reflector
    Abilene, Kansas
    9 June 1888”

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohhhhhh . . . .that is a coin . . .

Drunner

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa, that's a beauty!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous example! <3

And the provenance adds to the package, for sure! Very nice!! Congratulations

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fantastic piece, exceptional eye appeal.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    A proof Trade Dollar is just a beautiful coin. Cheers, RickO

I agree RickO, The trade dollar proof is a spectacular speciment. I have none and probably never will, but can wish.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

congrats on both coins. real nice !

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Great looking coin! And one of my favorite provenances- 39 years old when he drowned- imagine what his collection would have been like had he lived a full life!

“Baltimore June 8 - While out yachting in his yacht, Gleam, with a party of friends yesterday, Mr. T. Harrison Garrett was drowned. The Gleam was struck by the steamer Joppa and Mr. Garrett jumped and caught the bow chains of the Joppa, which parted and he fell into the sea and was drowned. the remainder of the passengers and crew of the Gleam were saved. Mr. Garrett was manager of the firm of Robert Garrett & Sons, which was founded by Robert Garrett, his grandfather.

Abilene Daily Reflector
    Abilene, Kansas
    9 June 1888”

Thanks for posting some of T.Harrison's story, wonder what would have happened with the collection if T. Harrison had survived. T.Harrrison's eye was the best imo

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were a wealthy enough family that they could pass it down and actually grow/curate the collection before giving it to Johns Hopkins. Fortunately for us individual collectors Hopkins eventually preferred cold hard cash and sold the collection.

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    They were a wealthy enough family that they could pass it down and actually grow/curate the collection before giving it to Johns Hopkins. Fortunately for us individual collectors Hopkins eventually preferred cold hard cash and sold the collection.

Agreed. It is nice for some of the "common man" to get to enjoy his treasures.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Love that beautiful coin, and love that provenance!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition to your set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file