Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not US nor a coin but there's only one in the world and I received it yesterday

pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 5, 2021 6:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

50 years ago I was an awkward, uncoordinated teenager lacking any social skills. I found refuge in my bedroom and took solace listening for hour upon hour to the very early Elton John masterpieces - 11-17-70, Tumbleweed Connection and Madman Across the Water among others. His music helped me survive a very painful adolescence.

Fast forward 50 years and I'm still a little awkward and uncoordinated but I'm still standing. With this history, I took great interest in the Royal Mint auction for a one of a kind Elton John Medallion, with all proceeds going to his charity foundation. The auction ran for two weeks from late April to early May. I did not post anything here (nor did anyone else as far as I can tell) as I wanted to to limit my competition. Here is a short YouTube link about the medallion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnzEtH-Re5U

At five kilograms of handcrafted .999 silver with gold plating and a one of a kind piece of numismatic art, I knew I stood little chance of winning against a worldwide audience in this hyper-enthused collector's market. But like a lottery ticket, at least it would provide me with two weeks of wishful thinking and hopeful dreaming.

On the morning of May 7th, my dreams came true with an email from the Royal Mint announcing I had won the auction. Choosing not to curse my luck, I waited until now to post this thread having received the medallion yesterday. It's more stunning (and much heavier) than I could have imagined. Here are a few pictures of the moment:

Tim

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite a medallion - All 11 pounds of it. Congrats on winning!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

A really neat piece. Congrats!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats.

we ALL need some cathartic victories to get us through this crazy race.

for this victory, i'm glad it came in the form of a so-so-called dollar; the biggest one i've seen to-date!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story! Congratulations!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 5:41PM

Sometimes I think the karmic balance of the world finds perfect harmony ...

... that looks and sounds like something that SHOULD be yours.

Congratulations!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is totally cool- congratulations!

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing! That is cool in so many ways.

Will you be sending it to PCGS? ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 5:57PM

The Royal Mint website shows it sold for the open... is that the case? If so, I think you absolutely stole it. The pre-auction speculation indicated it'd sell into the six-figures.

A wonderful piece which crosses several collecting/societal interests; congratulations!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

@GoldenEgg said:

Well, as a matter of fact....

Actually, it's 185mm in diameter. I don't think there is a holder anywhere that can handle it.

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

WOW, congrats.
    Did you get a sinking feeling when you saw that UPS punch to the package?

• Options

@SmEagle1795 said:
    The Royal Mint website shows it sold for the open... is that the case? If so, I think you absolutely stole it. The pre-auction speculation indicated it'd sell into the six-figures.

A wonderful piece which crosses several collecting/societal interests; congratulations!

Yep. I was the only bidder although 25 others went through the painful registration process. I set my max bid and went to bed (the auction ended at 3 AM PDT) fully expecting to wake up a loser.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@SmEagle1795 said:

Yep. I was the only bidder although 25 others went through the painful registration process. I set my max bid and went to bed (the auction ended at 3 AM PDT) fully expecting to wake up a loser.

Incredible. Congratulations, maybe there really is a Santa Claus on numismatics... the Royal Mint's ineffective marketing!!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

@selling3 said:
    WOW, congrats.
    Did you get a sinking feeling when you saw that UPS punch to the package?

Thanks - that dent certainly caught my attention immediately. Fortunately, it was a box in a box in a box. Made this old warehouse guy smile. This is one mint that knows how to pack an item:

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@GoldenEgg said:

Actually, it's 185mm in diameter. I don't think there is a holder anywhere that can handle it.

That original packaging is too legit anyway!

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

@pointfivezero said:

@GoldenEgg said:

That original packaging is too legit anyway!

Not to mention, it came with a personal letter from the Royal Mint CEO and the Head of Commemorative items, along with an historical EJ booklet. Quite a package.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a monster !
    Really nice !

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stoked for you!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.

• Options

Thanks @thebeav @SurfinxHI @golden

Still can't believe it. I do feel like I won the numismatic lottery.

Tim

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That certainly tops the coolness scale! Congrats.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome. You look quite pleased with yourself.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great item! Congrats!!

• Options

@SIowhand said:
    That’s awesome. You look quite pleased with yourself.

Lol - haven't stopped smiling since it came in the door!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you, man! That thing is bigger than a CD.
    We're all happy it went to the right guy. I love that they took a picture of Elton John holding it. Adds to the "provenance."
    Now you need to find a way to get him to autograph the booklet.
    👏congrats 👏

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    Good for you, man! That thing is bigger than a CD.
    We're all happy it went to the right guy. I love that they took a picture of Elton John holding it. Adds to the "provenance."
    Now you need to find a way to get him to autograph the booklet.
    👏congrats 👏

Thanks @DCW

When I spoke to the Royal Mint personnel, I told them to tell Elton I was sorry it not generate more revenue for his charity but I wanted him to know it went to one of his biggest fans. I've seen him in concert many times but always from the nosebleed seats.

As an FYI, there was an option to pick the medallion up at the Mint and receive a personal tour. Although we chose the shipping option, the tour invitation is still open and will be on our agenda if and when we visit Europe.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very cool. Congratulations. I like your story and your recreated image, should print that off and include it in the original box and paperwork. That thing is massive! You didn't wipe off EJ's fingerprints from the holder did you?

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations and such an amazing one of a kind piece of artwork. And you have a video of
    the mint producing it. That is spectacular. After reading your description and experiences as a young
    adolescent growing up, I don’t think it could we went to a more deserving person

• Options
    edited June 4, 2021 10:20PM

@Batman23 said:
    Wow, very cool. Congratulations. I like your story and your recreated image, should print that off and include it in the original box and paperwork. That thing is massive! You didn't wipe off EJ's fingerprints from the holder did you?

Thanks and yes, Elton's fingerprints are intact. I just need @DNADave and a healthy ovary to make my very own Reginald Dwight....

(unapologetically borrowed from Sheldon Cooper's line on reanimating Leonard Nimoy in the Big Bang Theory)

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    Congratulations and such an amazing one of a kind piece of artwork. And you have a video of
    the mint producing it. That is spectacular. After reading your description and experiences as a young
    adolescent growing up, I don’t think it could we went to a more deserving person

Appreciate the kind words @coinsarefun. I really don't feel deserving but promise to be a good steward of this beauty.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool and a hearty congratulations!
    I love stories like this.
    You are certainly a highly deserving destination for this fine and unique piece.
    Thank you for sharing it here.
    👍👍👍

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

Very, Very nice. Congratulations!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met Tiny Dancer and married her.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece. I bet it blew the people at the mint away that you won with one bid. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Thanks @thebeav @SurfinxHI @golden

Still can't believe it. I do feel like I won the numismatic lottery.

Tim

That's great! I love that feeling when you score a coin you want really badly. I'm very happy for you.

Now stop looking at it all day and get back to work!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. Don't drop it on your toes, it's not good

• Options
    Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Such a great feeling to get something so prized and unique. Congrats

Visit USPatterns.com

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ran a needle through Yellow Brick Road back in the mid 70's. The wife and I got to see him in concert a couple of times in Houston. Quite the showman. Big congratulations!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!!! Wow!!! What an amazing score, and a fantastic story to go with it. A real treasure, both personally and as a unique work of art. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks again to this wonderful community for the kind and supportive comments. I certainly wish I had this kind of fellowship in my life during my younger years. You are a wonderful group of people.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun! Congratulations!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Owning such an item is a life-long dream come true. Elton John is one of the most distinguished and greatest (if not the greatest) musicians of our time. He is on his farewell tour in the US at this time until at least 4/28/22, at which time he will be 75 years old. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth ll on Oct. 6, 1998. nee: Reginald Kenneth Dwight.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Congrats! Owning such an item is a life-long dream come true. Elton John is one of the most distinguished and greatest (if not the greatest) musicians of our time. He is on his farewell tour in the US at this time until at least 4/28/22, at which time he will be 75 years old. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth ll on Oct. 6, 1998. nee: Reginald Kenneth Dwight.

Yes and if one gets the chance to catch the tour, it’s a great retrospective chronology of an amazing life lived to the fullest. I went to his Bay Area stop.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fantastic win! An example of you gotta participate in order to win. That is quite the hulk of metal. Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s an incredible win!
    I’ve always been a big Elton fan. One of the early influences in my life that inspired me to learn piano.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file