Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please Details Grade this 1822 Large Cent

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the details grade for this coin? I know it'll net "AG" or so because of the hole, yet what grade would you assign to the overall details showing?
I'm thinking VF.

peacockcoins

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be high VF.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

If no hole I would say VF35. I think it would just grade VF Details Holed

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40 details, net Poor 1, holed, corroded.

All glory is fleeting.
  • CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Despite it being holed it's still a nice coin I wouldn't mind having in my trays

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

$200. - $400.00 without the hole and issues. I'd think $25- $30. is a fair price for what it is.

peacockcoins

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

In terms of wear, the coins shows very little, perhaps AU. However, the surfaces are rough and corroded. Then there's the hole.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF details for sure, not VF. Could even see it being labeled AU details

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, minimum xf45 details.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

There was just something about this one that made me like it.

peacockcoins

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like EF sharpness, but it’s corroded in addition to the hole.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Looks like EF sharpness, but it’s corroded in addition to the hole.

It looks like it was buried for a couple of generations.

peacockcoins

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the EF details camp, with all the comments mentioned. It does have a pleasing look, despite the obvious issues.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 2:56PM

I am at low Au details, holed and corroded/cleaned/messed with somehow.

• raysrays Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vf 30 details net 08

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50 details

@AngryTurtle said:

I agree with all other than the cleaned. I am noting see that. I will know more when it arrives (due here on Saturday).

peacockcoins

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least XF details. If the hole was at the top of the obverse (above the head), it would become a coin necklace for me.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corrosion and the hole... but otherwise, a VF coin.... Cheers, RickO

• IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I vote 45. The pictures make it look like maybe it was gilded and then mostly worn off.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 7:56AM

45 details, corroded, holed... net Fr2

Edited to add... is this an ex Lord Marcovan piece? ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • fathomfathom Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keychain lucky charm.

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@AngryTurtle said:

I agree with all other than the cleaned. I am noting see that. I will know more when it arrives (due here on Saturday).

By "corroded/cleaned/messed with", I was looking at the fields which appear very uniformly blemish free but lusterless. Not sure exactly how to describe that in "Grading-Speak" :)

This is what I love about coin collecting. Sure, this one had issues/problems. Yet, you know what? For less than a happy hour appetizer and a couple of drinks, I get to own this almost 200-year-old artifact.

peacockcoins

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file