Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The highly anticipated Peace Dollar... Who's in?

UrbanDecay04UrbanDecay04 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭

How many of you plan to buy the 2021 Peace Dollar? I hope to own one since the Peace Dollar is one of my most favorite Americana relics... I'm hoping my mom will buy one the day it comes out (as a gift of course.) I only own 1 Peace Dollar and owning the 2021 Peace Dollar will be amazing!

The highly anticipated Peace Dollar... Who's in?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

If it's possible.

• Options
    Yea

That's pretty ambitious, UrbanDecay04.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

I decided I would try for it. I really wish I could see what it looks like first but that’s not an option. I think, though, that the burnished finish will look better on the peace than morgan ones. Too bad they aren’t 90% silver, though, so the color would look right.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we'll see when the time comes

I said I’ll guess I’ll see when the time comes. I’m interested in buying one, but if it ends up selling out right away from people wanting to flip them I won’t have the patience to try to buy one from the mint because the website will be all jammed up and I pretty much don’t buy new mint items except straight from the mint. But if I can leisurely go on the mint website later in the day when they go on sale then I’ll get one.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@UrbanDecay04 said:
    As stated in the OP, the Peace Dollar is my favorite coin and I hope to own the 2021 Peace Dollar, the 1964 Dan Carr, The 1918 Broken Sword Dan Carr, the 1921 High Relief Peace Dollar, and the elusive 1922 High Relief Peace Dollar (not likely though)

Why the Carr 1918 broken sword instead of the 1921 counter stamped?

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nea

I think I will stick with nicely struck examples, ie the 1921 and the '64-D and 1965 Carrs.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure, I am not really a modern coins guy, I tend to stick to the classics. Maybe though since it is highly anticipated.

• Options
    Yea

If the 1921 Peace comes in some form of proof it'll be the only proof Peace dollar I'll be able to afford.

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I remember I will probably try for one.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

I will try. But it will probably sell out in a matter of minutes. Not counting on being that lucky or fast though.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

Yes, and I don' think they will be hard to get.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

even if they sell out day 1, I do not expect 200,000 collectors will want them. Perhaps there will be "can't resell it" returns in october or november.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nea

I don't collect them by date, and don't pay more than face for moderns.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

I just want one, provided I can get it from the Mint. No way with the secondary market.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Nea

I look at this as a one year commemorative. 200,000 should be plenty to go around. MS70’s will get all the attention. If anything I will be more interested in the 1921 so for that reason I am out.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 7:51PM

The Peace dollar is my favorite US issue, easily.

I'm a bit ambivalent about this thing. We'll see how it looks. If it looks nothing like the "real" coins, I'll probably pass. If I decide I need one, I'm sure there will be plenty for sale.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nea

I'm not really interested but if I like the way the coins look I may pick one up sometime down the road.
    No hurry to be first in.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Probably not, but I might try to get one.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nea

Not at all interested. I have no need of a bad copy of a classic design. This goes for the 2016 gold issues and most modern eagles, too. If I want a Peace, I'll buy the real thing.

No 50th Anniversary Ike?

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not interested in any of the Mint's releases that create a circus atmosphere and frenzy at the time of release. The Mint is not a market for collectors, and it is merely a supplier for the flippers. Except for coins where there is not a great interest, the days of the Mint serving collectors and the hobby are over. I refuse to get a bot so I can complete with the flippers just to buy one coin.

If the coin ends up looking good and I'm interested in buying it. I'll casually buy it from a dealer. The Mint can shove its releases you know where.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the major grading services come out with a two coin slab for the 2021 Morgan and the 2021 Peace dollars. I think it would look very cool. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I said I’ll guess I’ll see when the time comes. I’m interested in buying one, but if it ends up selling out right away from people wanting to flip them I won’t have the patience to try to buy one from the mint because the website will be all jammed up and I pretty much don’t buy new mint items except straight from the mint. But if I can leisurely go on the mint website later in the day when they go on sale then I’ll get one.

This

Ken
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping they would do a Peace Dollar from the West Point Mint, but none listed. So probably will not get one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe if one happens to fall in my lap.

• Options

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    Maybe if one happens to fall in my lap.

There is always that possibility. That's why I wear a long T-shirt to cover my lap so I can easily catch any windfall that comes my way.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will this be a quick sell out? Anyone care to predict how long it will take assuming they sell out?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

I want one, I can't wait to see Lady Liberty struck in today's standards.

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea

Yea for me.
    Now to figure out how to get it worn down enough to grade AU55 so that it fits in my PCGS Au55 matched set. :/

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nea

Not for me.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nea

I'm a type collector and I have a specific date/mint mark in mind (1926-S) to represent the Peace Dollar in my set. That date has ties to my grandfather. So I don't need the 2021.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 6:47AM

I have to see what it looks like. I'll be in if it's full struck reproduction of the 1921 Peace Dollar with all of the detail showing. If it's like the gold Mercury Dime, which didn't even have split bans, I'll pass.

The price could be a factor too. If the mint has it priced a some outrageous number, like $500, I’ll pass.

Of course if the mint is up to its old tricks and sells them all at the Baltimore coin show or out the back door to its preferred list of dealers, I'll be out then as well. Those dealers will get them certified and then charge three or four times the issue price.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nea

@PerryHall said:
    Will this be a quick sell out? Anyone care to predict how long it will take assuming they sell out?

3 milliseconds.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

Just a guess, but I am expecting this to sell out in a few minutes. The dealers and flippers will all have their bots and designated buyers ready to flood the website. If a dealer offers this as a pre-order in advance of the Mint sale, that's where I am going if the coin looks good and is priced decently.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a High Relief coin and they're going to sell for $85... I think you're in the good!

Yea, I'll be in, but the next question is will they all be sold to dealers before any of us get a chance to buy it?

The next issue is customer service. I bought a 2021 silver Proof set. On April 27 I got an email telling me that my order had been shipped. To date I have no idea if it has been shipped because all I get is "Internal Error" when I click on the order number.

It's been over a week now, and I have no idea what is going on. When I call the mint, I get put on hold forever and can never get through.

Instead of going after me, perhaps you should question the way the U.S. Mint handles customer service.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

Will try for one of each.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Nea

"product shipments will begin in October" is the most disappointing thing in the announcement for those that are anxiously awaiting their peace dollar.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options

@PhillyJoe said:
    "product shipments will begin in October" is the most disappointing thing in the announcement for those that are anxiously awaiting their peace dollar.

That's just fine with me. Maybe it will provide a little discouragement for the flippers.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea

I hope to get one. I feel it's a bit overpriced but I know if I don't I'll regret it later. Will be the most I've ever spent on a coin by a wide margin. I normally limit myself to $20 but have gone to $50 a few times for some special things.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

oh h*ll yeah

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file