Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver spot vs premium tracking thread

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 7:11AM

The premium for US silver eagles (they are currently asking around $33/ounce) is still excessive and very hard to understand because there is plenty of supply.

Don't dealers have to commit to a certain quantity in order to maintain their place in line? If so, might they have had to buy at elevated prices at an inopportune time and are sitting on expensive inventory?

So much of the hyperbole' in this thread concerning physical premiums is just BS from the vested banking interests. ASE premiums are nothing more than simple supply & demand for one product. The manipulation by the Comex players to control the spot price is a completely separate issue.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have entered..... The Twilight Zone. (Cue the music).....

..... stuck on a Merry-Go-Round..... endlessly going around and around.... but never really going anywhere!

(but I keep reading this tread once in awhile!)

----- kj
  • Options

.....thinking I'm going to learn something.... but just getting more and more confused!! (not taking any sides.... what ever the original subject was... just attempting a light, perhaps futile... attempt at humor!)

----- kj
  • Options

Original intent of thread... does seem that premiums have come down some, but I have not attempted to determine if it is due to dropping prices or other.

----- kj
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

I've always said the physical market and premiums are highly manipulated. Pay attention.

The only manipulation in the physical market is by market participants bidding up or down what they are willing to pay or what they are willing to sell for. All free markets, for this reason, are manipulated. Do not confuse free markets with those under the influence of artificial and even false market forces.

And the smaller the market, the easier to manipulate. Glad you've finally realized the manipulation in the physical market.

You've made the claim that the physical precious metals market is "manipulated".
    The burden of proof is on you to explain who has done it, and how did they do it.

Reread this thread.

No. You made the claim. Back it up. Cite the evidence. How hard can that be ?

• Options

You made the claim. Back it up. Cite the evidence. How hard can that be ?

jmski<-----------waiting with baited breath for the usual non-response.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 9:24AM

IF, "ASE premiums are nothing more than simple supply & demand for one product."

Why are APMEX and Kitco buy prices for silver eagles only around $22.20? SD bullion at least offered $3.80 above bid.

If they were scarce, in high demand, or if they needed lower cost averaged inventory, wouldn't their buy back price be higher than $22.20 vs their $33/ounce sell price?

To me, that premium spread seems to be more like fishing for suckers, than simple supply and demand.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 9:40AM

@jmski52 said:
    The premium for US silver eagles (they are currently asking around $33/ounce) is still excessive and very hard to understand because there is plenty of supply.

Don't dealers have to commit to a certain quantity in order to maintain their place in line? If so, might they have had to buy at elevated prices at an inopportune time and are sitting on expensive inventory?

So much of the hyperbole' in this thread concerning physical premiums is just BS from the vested banking interests. ASE premiums are nothing more than simple supply & demand for one product. The manipulation by the Comex players to control the spot price is a completely separate issue.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

First, "banking interests" don't care about the price of silver.

Second, premiums for a short time are normal. Premiums that are double or triple or quadruple historical norms should NOT last for 2-3 years.

Third, if those premiums reflect demand then let it filter onto silver itself and raise the actual market price.

Clearly, those premiums are benefitting the dealers and the U.S. Mint. I don't want to make assumptions, because I would just be speculating. But maybe there's a quid pro quo on other Mint products in return for a nice fat rich premium on ASEs.

Because a premium this wide in percentage terms should NOT persist for this period of time. Maybe for a few weeks or months if silver itself were experiencing a frenzy like 1979-80 or 2011-12. We're not anywhere near those levels of speculative frenzy.

The premiums would certainly fade away if individuals could buy directly from the Mint and/or the number of dealers who deal with the Mint would greatly expand. You clearly have a monopolistic or oligopolistic market involving ASEs and the people who are always talking about conspiracies involving COMEX and silver and banks seem to not want to look at the real guilty parties: the US Mint and dealers.

Let individuals buy DIRECTLY from the Mint or open it up to more dealers.Then let's see what happens to the premiums in a few weeks or months.

I'd wager it falls to 10-15% or so.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    IF, "ASE premiums are nothing more than simple supply & demand for one product."

Why are APMEX and Kitco buy prices for silver eagles only around $22.20? SD bullion at least offered $3.80 above bid.

If they were scarce, in high demand, or if they needed lower cost averaged inventory, wouldn't their buy back price be higher than $22.20 vs their $33/ounce sell price?

To me, that premium spread seems to be more like fishing for suckers, than simple supply and demand.

If the financial markets tried to price something like that, the SEC, FTC, and DoJ would be on it within days.

Clearly, the government has been told to not look into this gouging because they were insistent FOR YEARS that if you bought a $50 stock and the bid-ask spread was $0.06 instead of $0.02....you were being ripped off.

I guess it's being "ripped off" when it's done by private actors but just good business when the real gouging is done by government agencies. :)

• Options

First, "banking interests" don't care about the price of silver.

Second, premiums for a short time are normal. Premiums that are double or triple or quadruple historical norms should NOT last for 2-3 years.

Third, if those premiums reflect demand then let it filter onto silver itself and raise the actual market price.

You've already erroneously stated that JPM's manipulation of the silver market and the $920 million fine was no big deal and only "the cost of doing business", so there's no point in debating you on this. It IS a big deal because it clearly illustrates the corruption of big banking and it's illicit meddling in the markets.

Clearly, those premiums are benefitting the dealers and the U.S. Mint. I don't want to make assumptions, because I would just be speculating. But maybe there's a quid pro quo on other Mint products in return for a nice fat rich premium on ASEs.

You totally believe what you are told by gov.com about the gold that may or may not be in Ft. Knox, but now you are willing to speculate about collaboration between the dealers and the Mint to affect premiums? The premiums can be as high as the dealers want them to be, but that doesn't mean that anyone's buying. There's nothing to debate.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2023 11:16AM

@jmski52 said:
    You've already erroneously stated that JPM's manipulation of the silver market and the $920 million fine was no big >deal and only "the cost of doing business", so there's no point in debating you on this. It IS a big deal because >it clearly illustrates the corruption of big banking and it's illicit meddling in the markets.

A couple of rogue traders engaging in price discovery or price manipulation DOES NOT impact the long-term supply and demand fundamentals of the silver market, I'm sorry. They just aren't big enough. The Hunt's cornered 33% of the silver market -- how'd that work out for them ?

You totally believe what you are told by gov.com about the gold that may or may not be in Ft. Knox, but now you >are willing to speculate about collaboration between the dealers and the Mint to affect premiums? The premiums >can be as high as the dealers want them to be, but that doesn't mean that anyone's buying. There's nothing to >debate.

I've never been to gov.com. And if you're OK with the premiums, fine. It doesn't affect me as I am not a buyer but I do have friends and colleagues who buy and they think the premiums should be much lower and I agree.

• Options

Again....the government so obsessed with "gouging" on stock trades or anti-competitive Google or Microsoft practices for FREE products is saying nothing on the silver premiums.

I just find that very curious. :)

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 12:08PM

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

I've always said the physical market and premiums are highly manipulated. Pay attention.

The only manipulation in the physical market is by market participants bidding up or down what they are willing to pay or what they are willing to sell for. All free markets, for this reason, are manipulated. Do not confuse free markets with those under the influence of artificial and even false market forces.

And the smaller the market, the easier to manipulate. Glad you've finally realized the manipulation in the physical market.

You've made the claim that the physical precious metals market is "manipulated".
    The burden of proof is on you to explain who has done it, and how did they do it.

Reread this thread.

Other forum members seem to have no problem seeing it.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:
    It may even be harder for some to understand that many people like other assets just as much as their precious metals. I for one like to diversify. I got gutter (paper and physical), gold, bitcoins, stocks, farm land, oil, nat gas, etc, Never put all the eggs in one basket so to speak. God bless The Commonwealth! RGDS!

Ok fine, but spare us your life story :*

Get a life and stop stalking me already. THKS

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2023 9:13PM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Reread this thread.

Other forum members seem to have no problem seeing it.

Seeing what ?
    You still haven't offered one iota of information to back up your claim of "manipulation" in the physical precious metals market.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 years later and everyone is still firmly on their same sides i see :#

• Options
    edited March 6, 2023 9:12AM

Please understand that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for any player in metals or financial markets to influence prices or "manipulate" except over the shortest time horizons. The Fed by nature of its central banking role can certainly affect Treasury yields and some state actors like Russia can affect thinly-traded markets like palladium.

But often when folks attack banks like JP Morgan Chase they confuse the bank's investment positions (if any) with CUSTODIAL positions on behalf of other investors (retail, hedge funds, institutional buyers, etc.).

Regulators do NOT want banks like JPM speculating in commodities like metals. They might take a small position to help facilitate trading with lucrative clients but that's about it. NO bank executive would risk their capital or their employment on speculative dealings that get frowned upon by the Fed, state and federal regulators, etc.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    Please understand that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for any player in metals or financial markets to influence prices or "manipulate" except over the shortest time horizons. The Fed by nature of its central banking role can certainly affect Treasury yields and some state actors like Russia can affect thinly-traded markets like palladium.

But often when folks attack banks like JP Morgan Chase they confuse the bank's investment positions (if any) with CUSTODIAL positions on behalf of other investors (retail, hedge funds, institutional buyers, etc.).

Regulators do NOT want banks like JPM speculating in commodities like metals. They might take a small position to help facilitate trading with lucrative clients but that's about it. NO bank executive would risk their capital or their employment on speculative dealings that get frowned upon by the Fed, state and federal regulators, etc.

Fact or Fiction?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMs are doing terribly to start the year. Prices down and premiums almost nonexistent now :(

• Options

• Options

@ShadyDave said:

(*as of 3.17.22 @4:05pm EST)

From about 1 year ago. Spot is down $5 and ASE premium is down $9. What is the narrative now?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying more for less. An exercise in futility, I guess.

• Options

@cohodk said:
    From about 1 year ago. Spot is down $5 and ASE premium is down $9. What is the narrative now?

What was the premium a year ago and what is it today ?

Whoever Mike Campbell is, BTW, he doesn't understand what a custodial bank does. :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

ASE's are a great buy if you own a shop . Nice to double your money on a quick flip. no shortage of dummies in the world

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@cohodk said:

What was the premium a year ago and what is it today ?

According to this screenshots shown above, the premium was $14 a year ago and $10.50 now.

• Options

I’m merely guessing, that with this rise in metals prices (and in volatility as well) that premiums are going back up. Just a wild-ass guess on my part.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2023 10:51AM

@jmski52 said:
    I’m merely guessing, that with this rise in metals prices (and in volatility as well) that premiums are going back up. Just a wild-ass guess on my part.

as buyers flock to pm's (rising prices) perception of quality will be indicated by rising premiums of individual products. American eagles likely to once again rise to the top.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    10 years later and everyone is still firmly on their same sides i see :#

What have precious metals done in the last ten years?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Premiums on silver are starting to inch up again.

• Options

They have never defaulted.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2023 6:09AM

@jmski52 said:

Pretty lame narrative when all one has are non sequiturrs.

The oak tree in my back yard hasn't defaulted either.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 7:50AM

Yeah, well if your bank defaults, and when your bonds default you can tell us all about it. Of course, your "bonds" are really short term t-bills. You wouldn't have bought 30 year bonds, we all know that.

In the past 10 years, most of the gold coins that I've accumulated have done very well, as a matter of fact.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

.> @cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

nor has narcissism

• Options

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

Your oak tree isn't a transacted financial asset like precious metals have been for 5,000+ years.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Yeah, well if.....

I love these responses. Lol

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

Your oak tree isn't a transacted financial asset like precious metals have been for 5,000+ years.

I'd surmise it's been around longer than the chunck of silver in jmskis piggy bank.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 4:14PM

@derryb said:
    .> @cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

nor has narcissism

Nor hypocrisy.

Premium back to $13....never let a good crisis go to waste.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Yeah, well if your bank defaults, and when your bonds default you can tell us all about it. Of course, your "bonds" are really short term t-bills. You wouldn't have bought 30 year bonds, we all know that.

In the past 10 years, most of the gold coins that I've accumulated have done very well, as a matter of fact.

The gold perhaps, the gutter not so much. RGDS!

• Options

Premium at $14. For the retailers...have you seen increased interesti n silver over the last 2 weeks?

• Options

Silence is deafening.

Premiums at the OP retailer are still at $14, which is a decline in the premium percentage.

• Options

The silence is golden.

Perhaps the dead horse is refusing to rise? (give it time, I'm sure it may struggle to it's feet again!)

----- kj
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2023 8:08AM

@tincup said:
    Perhaps the dead horse is refusing to rise? (give it time, I'm sure it may struggle to it's feet again!)

Eventually.

The OP retailer is offering barbers at about 40x. Are there actually any buyers at that price?

• Options

ASE premiums on the move and once again making fools of those talking "gutter."

• Options
    edited April 6, 2023 5:17PM

@derryb said:

Don't forget to SELL some this time. LOL! :sunglasses:

• Options

@derryb said:

So if someone bought an ASE a month ago, how much could they sell it for today?

If someone bought SLV a month ago, how much could they sell it for today?

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

SLV has a slight 30 day edge over ASEs. And that makes ASEs gutter? LOL

And when the ETFs are caught with nowhere near the silver they have sold as paper we will see where the true gutter lies.

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

» show previous quotes

SLV has a slight 30 day edge over ASEs. And that makes ASEs gutter? LOL

Is that pre-tax?

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 539 ✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2023 6:51PM

@meluaufeet said:

Is that pre-tax?

Cue up the virtue signallers, etc., but that is the big difference to some.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2005 Per Ounce today. I hear it's gonna drop, big drop, sell now.
    I don't believe it, but I'm hearing this

• Options

Would not surprise me if it drops..... probably due for little slam down. but I think the trend overall will still keep climbing.

----- kj