Home U.S. Coin Forum

My latest CAC results

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2021 6:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi Folks,
Thought I would share my latest CAC results. I did well with this batch. The 2 that did not bean (see below), the barber quarter I was pretty sure would not. The 1847 seated dollar for the life of me i don't know why. Normally I can tell why. I asked JA for info so I will find out when they come back (explanatory note or a 'call JA'). Keep in mind the first 3 were NGC crossovers and already CAC'd prior to crossing. But they still undergo an evaluation in the new holder, I just have never had one of these fail. The 2 common Franklin's were OGH, they looked great, and so did the lower grade Barber quarters, but I wanted to see how I was doing in selection and I am building a circulated CAC barber quarter registry set. I was pleased about the bust and liberty seated quarters. You never can tell with both of those as CAC can be really hard on them. The 1895-S and 1902 AU55 quarters have everything they are supposed to have so I was not surprised at all by these but still pleased. What this means is that most of the time, after my 27th submission to CAC, my view on great coins and theirs is mostly aligning. Can't complain about that.

Some may think (based on comments on these boards) that sending in inexpensive coins to CAC is a waste of money. I look at it as $15 of education which is cheap if learning how they view great coins means that I make better decisions on 4 figure coins. Just sayin'

Best, SH

Highlights:

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye. Deserving results.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice outcome. Congrats!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent results on really nice coins. I agree that you and JA are aligned.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 6:34PM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Excellent results on really nice coins. I agree that you and JA are aligned.

Thanks for the thought.................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 6:35PM

Great percentage!!

You know how to pick them!!

Way to go!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome results. Nice material

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1895-S Barber quarter is an absolute killer!

I also think the investment is worth it and on multiple levels. Obviously, there is the potential education gained and future extrapolation from it. Also, however, there can be increased liquidity for coins with a CAC sticker and, even though many folks don't realize it, there is value in liquidity.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on all the green beans! Do you have any pics of the 47$... I would love to see her.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice results, congrats.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent results. Your skills are obviously aligning well with the graders at CAC. Let us know what you learn about the 1847 Seated Dollar - and with pictures. Learning is good for all of us. Cheers, RickO

@TomB said:
    That 1895-S Barber quarter is an absolute killer!

I also think the investment is worth it and on multiple levels. Obviously, there is the potential education gained and future extrapolation from it. Also, however, there can be increased liquidity for coins with a CAC sticker and, even though many folks don't realize it, there is value in liquidity.

I agree on the 95-S and it is better in hand - it has all the right things about it, it is clearly a coin you would have snapped up after a 5 second viewing..... Got it from Glenn Holsonbake, he has the eye for barbers for sure.

Best, SH

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins, especially the 1837 and '78-CC quarters. I agree on the part of getting an education for $15, which will make the coins easier to sell if you are going to do that. For me though, those coins you pictured are lookers, sticker or no sticker.

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Nice coins, especially the 1837 and '78-CC quarters. I agree on the part of getting an education for $15, which will make the coins easier to sell if you are going to do that. For me though, those coins you pictured are lookers, sticker or no sticker.

Yes this is the thing about the sticker, great to have, but a coin is a looker if it is, green bean or not. I have some great coins that did not bean, like the 1847 dollar that did not bean.....

• jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the 1837 originally NGC 40? I can't remember but you've had that for awhile, right?

jom

@jom said:
    Was the 1837 originally NGC 40? I can't remember but you've had that for awhile, right?

jom

yes crossed from N40, did not come with a bean........

• JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye! Nice results and coins.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 9:13PM

Agreed that the 1895-S quarter is awesome.

But who designed these pictures? They are also awesome!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Thanks oreville, I take the images of the coins and process them in Photoshop.

Best, SH

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good results, nice coins.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see the Newman 1831 half dime!

@Barndog said:

I paid insane money for this that I can never recover - too much auction exuberance for these coins when they were auctioned by Heritage. To credit though, these coins had sat raw in small brown envelopes for half a century before being graded by NGC for the auction. Most acquired amazing patina's unlike normally seen, so bidders went multiples of guide to acquire. Then I bought it from a dealer with even more premium added, but glad to have it despite what I paid....

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@Barndog said:

I paid insane money for this that I can never recover - too much auction exuberance for these coins when they were auctioned by Heritage. To credit though, these coins had sat raw in small brown envelopes for half a century before being graded by NGC for the auction. Most acquired amazing patina's unlike normally seen, so bidders went multiples of guide to acquire. Then I bought it from a dealer with even more premium added, but glad to have it despite what I paid....

Newmans have held up pretty well and your example is nice. I have a feeling you would come pretty close to recouping your cost basis on resale.

Most of those coins are actually pretty ugly in my opinion, due to poor storage. Yours is one I would buy which is more than I can say for the vast majority of the stuff that has come back on the market since that auction.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, original coins. Originality matters. The 95-s is truly amazing. Well done!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the coins a lot. congrats on results

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bean or no bean, these are truly some great looking coins.
    The photography is outstanding.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@spacehayduke said:

@Barndog said:

I don't believe you've showed me that one. Wonderful...a Newman also.

As to the price...I know what it's like to "pay up" so I'm right there with ya.....

jom

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke thanks! I bought a Newman half dime from a dealer and I paid a premium too, then PCGS downgraded it when I crossed it, but it was well worth it. It didn't hurt that CAC later marked it as "exceeded" in the result column ;)

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2021 1:53PM

This reminds me about how poor I am in picking up Franklin halves for submitting to CAC. I cannot grade those halves!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

@jom said:

As to the price...I know what it's like to "pay up" so I'm right there with ya.....

jom

Yup, jom you do know how to pay up for color............. ;)

Best, SH

@Barndog said:
    @spacehayduke thanks! I bought a Newman half dime from a dealer and I paid a premium too, then PCGS downgraded it when I crossed it, but it was well worth it. It didn't hurt that CAC later marked it as "exceeded" in the result column ;)

That is the kind of skin I like, great coin BD!

Best, SH

edited May 7, 2021 6:37PM

Got the coins back from CAC today - 1 week for registered mail, that must be a record and kudos to USPS.

So, JA left stickers on the slabs indicating the problems for the 2 that did not pass coins, that usually means something straightforward instead of the 'Call Me'. Turns out, unbeknownst to me and learning about it via PM's with LSD (not the drug) experts here, this is the 4th time the 1847 seated dollar has gone to CAC! And each time, it failed. Take that for consistency. So both the 1898-O quarter and the 1847 LSD failed for the normal reason - on both slabs the stickers said 'Old Cleaning'. Yup I agree, and that is the hard call one makes for great coins when you view them in hand - how harsh was the old cleaning? Will it be a Details holder, will it grade, and will it bean? Sometimes it is a tough call with the transitions between all 3 possible outcomes. Here is an image of the 47. This is a great coin, unless one better comes along with a bean on it, I am happy to include it in the 20% of my collection (about 40 coins) that did not pass CAC.

For balance, I post a new CRONewp, I am replenishing my bust dime collecting after the great selloff 2 years ago. This time I will do a Redbook variety set of super great coins over the next decade.

Best, SH

SH View

Troo Veeoo

@spacehayduke said:
    For balance, I post a new CRONewp, I am replenishing my bust dime collecting after the great selloff 2 years ago. This time I will do a Redbook variety set of super great coins over the next decade.

I'm glad I'm out of doing Dimes....I keep the two that I have and moved on. Having yet another series where you are the competition would just brings me more headaches. lol

BTW, love the 1821...reminds me of the one I had.

jom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file