Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cleaned or not? Opinions?

BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭

Looking to fill another hole in the Dansco 7070. Any thoughts as to whether this has been cleaned at one time or another?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164083703022

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote yes. Check out the grunge around some of the stars and in some of the reverse lettering. Plus, looks like there could be hairlines on the reverse.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Have to go along with the comments already offered. Looks like it's been wiped at a minimum. The fields sure look hairlined to me.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I see what looks like hairlines. I think it's been cleaned.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, looks like it was cleaned

Mr_Spud

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless those are polish lines it sure does look cleaned.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Mist definitely cleaned, besides th hairlines ,you can see the revenants of the first that wasn't removed which is another telltale sign

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hairlines...cleaned.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the majority. Cleaned with noticeable hairlines

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hairlines, overall color, and crap stuck in some of the details all point to it being cleaned. Not lightly wiped—very cleaned.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    The hairlines, overall color, and crap stuck in some of the details all point to it being cleaned. Not lightly wiped—very cleaned.

Agreed.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice luster, but wiped. Details coin which will work for an album if you don’t mind and the price is right.

thefinn
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the opinions. I was thinking cleaned as well.

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely wiped. Question is before or after striking. Could be die polish too. The Seller has 14 day returns. You can go that route or just ask him/her their opinion since they have it in hand.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another vote for cleaned. Hard pass.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money, you can do better. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Survey is in. Cleaned!
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed! Hairlines... hard pass...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote cleaned... and not with kindness..... Definitely pass on that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Definitely wiped. Question is before or after striking. Could be die polish too. The Seller has 14 day returns. You can go that route or just ask him/her their opinion since they have it in hand.

You can see where the lines stop before the devices, particularly around the top of AL in HALF. Die polish would go right up the devices.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dulled, rough surfaces make me think overdipped, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Lots of vertical hairlines--cleaned.

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

Appears cleaned to me-- lines appear most consistent with wipe and less likely die polish. Perhaps pass on this...

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file