Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fox 32 Chicago: $165,972 worth of counterfeit coins, bills stopped by CBP in Chicago

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents.

Some of these items could have been on the way to eBay unscrupulous sellers perhaps.

CHICAGO - U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers seized 281 shipments containing counterfeit coins and $100 bills at Chicago's International Mail Facility.

Authorities say 95 percent of the shipments arrived from China.

The first two shipments were intercepted on April 16. The first package had $149,200 worth of $100 bills and was destined for a residence in Georgia.

The second package contained $9,700 worth of $100 bills and was destined for a residence in Texas.

Both shipments were declared as bar props, however, authorities say counterfeiting Federal Reserve notes is a federal crime.

On April 21, officers seized 279 parcels that contained various denominations in coin currency.

The first seizure consisted of 88 parcels containing 2,020 coins. The next seizure was comprised of 93 parcels containing 2,548 coins, authorities said.

The third seizure was 52 parcels containing 908 counterfeit coins.

The final seizure was 46 parcels containing 1,191 coins.

In total, officers seized (39) 50 cent coins, 6,345 $1.00 coins, and 283 $2.50 coins.

Authorities say Most of the coins had a buffalo, a bald eagle or native Americans embossed on the coins; collector items which are sold for profit.

The face value of this bogus currency was $165,972, however, all of it is worthless.

"Counterfeiting is a lucrative business which is often used to finance illegal activities such as trafficking in human beings, drugs, and even terrorism." said Mike Pfeiffer, Assistant Area Port Director-Chicago. "These are significant seizures made by officers which prevents criminal groups from targeting our citizens, businesses and the security of the United States.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/165972-worth-of-counterfeit-coins-and-bills-stopped-by-cbp-in-chicago

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

if only they could hit them with charges based upon collector value, or can they?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good score!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

that last statement kinda sent chills down my spine.

mentioning China and terrorism in the same statement.

kudos to tracking that crap down. we'll take the victory!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's nice, but unfortunately not enough is done to the counterfeiters at home. The government should make some examples.

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

Etsy inventory seizure.

• Options
    RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

We need more law enforcement catching these counterfeiters!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sad part is, the activity cannot be stopped at the source. It will continue, and all shipments are not caught. Be aware, pass the news at clubs and forums, call out fakes wherever they are seen, report illicit activity. Much like disease, we have to treat it, and try to prevent it - we cannot eradicate it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad cbp is focused on this problem. @ricko is correct. Knowledge is power. Share and be aware. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish that there were more such seizures. Glad to hear about this one.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet the FBI will have a serious talk to those who "ordered" them. >:)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2021 9:04AM

@Namvet69 said:
    Glad cbp is focused on this problem.

I'm just glad to know that they are focused on SOMETHING! 🙈 🙉 🙊

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good! More, more seizures.!!!!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

OH BOY We scored a run!

Visitors 1000 Home Team 1

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

there must be some sort of law for those that ordered them. I am sure if it were bottles of fentanyl, recipients would be in jail,

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh heh heh. :D

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I love my country. They make sure foreign imports that are harmful don’t make it into the market. Thank god security took the time to stop these fakes.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

For every package that gets stopped 1000 more make it through.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file