Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have a favorite coin collecting story? Want to share?

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Care to share an experience that:

• Changed the way you see things?
  • Started a new friendship?
  • Made you laugh?
  • Made you cry?
  • Made you rich?
  • Mad you collect something new?
  • You couldn't believe?
  • Surprised you?
  • Completed a goal?

Positive vibes only, please. There's enough dealer bashing, TPG bashing, politics, and other stuff other places if that's your thing.

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the files of good things on eBay: I learned about various grading companies (outside of the top four) and started searching for them on eBay. Some duplicates I would resell. This is how I met a few others who were doing the same. We shared our eBay coin hunting experiences and that led to a friendship where some of us continue to discuss coins.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one surprised me. I was on jury duty one time, in downtown Seattle. I was walking around killing time over lunchtime, and a bum approached me and asked me if I wanted to buy some old coins. He opened up his hand, and displayed 20 average circulated Mercury dimes. I asked how much he wanted, and he said 30 cents each. I said sure, I'll take them. I handed him the cash, and he gave me the dimes. As I was walking away, back toward the courthouse, he yelled 'Hey, will you be here tomorrow? I can bring you more'. I said sure. The next day, I hung around the corner for 90 minutes but he never showed. End of story.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Great story @airplanenut. My 17 y/o son is a couple flights away from his cross-country solo. After that, all that's left is the checkride for him. Exciting times!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Great story @airplanenut. My 17 y/o son is a couple flights away from his cross-country solo. After that, all that's left is the checkride for him. Exciting times!

Awesome! I’m a wee bit past that now, but while I’ve made many memories since, those early training flights still provide many of my fondest flying memories.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    I'm in the middle of a nice coin story right now with the discovery that one of my Seated Liberty halves that I've had for perhaps a decade turns out to be the second known example of a very rare die pairing. After diagnosing the coin I checked its estimated rarity, expecting it to be an R-3 or R-4, or maybe an R-5 if I'm lucky, and then reading that it's a unique R-8...WHAT?!!!...NO!! Where did I go wrong with the diagnosis? But I didn't make any mistakes! It's the real deal! A perfect match with the diagnoses and pictures (pinches self again).

I'm still on a numismatic high. An even better one than when I found a 1921 Mercury dime in change as an eight-year-old.
    Or my finding a love token made out of an 18th-century bust dime in a $3 junk box. Or scoring an excellent EF40 1846-O tall date half and a nice AU50-ish 1895-S Morgan dollar from a seller off eBay for way less than half their book value.

congrats!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s one that made me upset and may make some cry, especially the hardcore IHC nuts.

Several years ago, probably 5 or so, I was visiting my grandmother. She had just recently found out I was a coin collector; I think it came up in a conversation she was having with my mom.
    So she brought out and old coffee can she had with approximately 15 mixed coins in it. All were raw and loose - nothing in any sort of holder. Pretty typical group of coins you’d expect a non-collector to have stashed away - clad Kennedys, SBAs, a few circulated Morgans and Franklins. Then she shows me two Indian Head cents, both 1884. Both were uncirculated and had nice even brown coloring.
    She told me those two coins were found on the corners of a foundation while redoing the old barn on the property her and my grandfather had for a long time and the home my mom grew up in.
    I would think about those two cents from time to time and wish that they were in individual holders.
    I just recently went to visit her again. This was the first time seeing her since she showed me the coins. So I asked her about the coins and the cents specifically. I told her about the benefit of having them certified and encapsulated in protective holders and I asked her if she would allow me to send them to get certified for her.
    She said that she gave them to my little cousin at some point because he wanted to show them to his friend and she never saw them again.
    Very sad as I’m sure those two cents held a lot of sentimental value to a lot of my mom’s siblings. I know my mom was definitely upset when she heard about what happened to the coins.

• Options

"The one that got away" has happened to me a time or two. Keep looking. There are others out there.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the years I have picked up a few treasure coins, but the first was from The Atocha when Mel's son travelled to where I live. The "story" part was getting to share the meeting with two of my children which made for a memorable memory.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 6:58AM

My wife is an esthetician.

She had alot of elderly clients. One left her a proof set as a tip or a Christmas gift. She loved the lady and asked me what she could do with it?

Strange gift for and from a woman. We laughed and put it into a drawer.

About ten years later, I heard about wide/close AM's and low and behold to my amazement it was a 1998s Close AM. Sold the entire set here on BST for around $200.

Sadly they had moved away...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread with great stories.
    Thanks to all.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 12:34PM

Still have that article? Who cares if it was a little amateurish. That's the heart and soul of the hobby. Maybe all it needs is a little dusting off. I'd be very interested to read it, in the Numismatist, preferably. :)

• Options

@braddick said:
    If my interest ever slightly dwindles or wanes, all I do is re-open this thread- read a story or two- and I am right back in the game.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several years ago I was at a coin show and found the exact Condor token I needed for my collection at the time. Not only was it the one I needed but it was a nice high grade example. It was $10 more than all the cash I brought for the show. I asked the man selling it if he would take $10 off but he wouldn’t budge and said all prices are NOT negotiable. He was one of the few dealers that had such a policy. I had brought some Bangladesh money I was looking to sell at the show to a foreign currency dealer. The Bangladesh money I had exchanged for about $26 and it was the current issue. I didn’t collect that country so I wanted to sell it. Unfortunately that day none of the three foreign currency dealers that usually set up were present.

I happened upon a lady who was browsing the show and she asked me what I had. I told her my dilemma about how I was $10 short but had that Bangladesh currency worth $26 in exchange value. I offered it to her for $10 but she said she had no idea about Bangladesh money and would probably just give it to one of her kids. She was just being nice but wanted to know if I really needed $10 or if I had other money I could use to buy the token from the Condor Token dealer. I told her it was all I had and that I really needed $10 as the dealer had a non-negotiating policy on prices. She reluctantly bought the Bangladesh money from me just because I was short that $10.

Later I was just walking around browsing the show even though I had no money. One dealer had a bunch of really good counterfeit coins and he invited me to sit down at his table to show them to me as an educational lesson. The lady who bought the Bangladesh money from me walked by and said “looks like you do have money” because it appeared I was looking at coins when in reality I was learning about counterfeits and being shown some examples. I wanted to say something to the lady but I was too focused studying one of the coins. I felt really bad because the lady thought I scammed her and/or lied to her.

• Options

Nice addition.

• Options

@1northcoin said:
    When Q. David Bowers was preparing his Red Book Series book on Double Eagles, I had sent him my unique 1850 Double Eagle for examination. I was honored when I found my name in the credits of the book when it was published.

Years later I wrote to him on another matter and added the comment that, "I thought you might be interested to learn that (subsequent to the publication of your book on Double Eagles) numismatic researcher and author Karl Moulton wrote identifying the coin as a "First Strike" or "Trial Piece" that had been in the personal collection of James B. Longacre. ..... I believe the J.B. Longacre pedigree (as a first strike) is much more significant than the C.W. Green listing as a proof..."

In responsive correspondence, Q. David Bowers commented, "The Liberty Head Double Eagle is one of my favorite series. You certainly have a spectacular 1850!!! Also, it seems you have a very nice library and I'm delighted that a number of my volumes are included in it."

[In my original letter I had written:

"As I was reading earlier this week from my copy of your recently published book "Lost and Found Coin Hoards and Treasures," which you had signed, it occurred to me how much enjoyment I have had over the years reading your numerous books and columns in periodicals such as "Coin World" and the "Numismatist." ..... Out of curiosity I took a brief inventory this morning of the numismatic books currently on my shelf and noted upwards of a dozen that you had authored... .....
    As I glanced though those titles it brought back many fond memories of my interest in and acquisition of specific coins related to the books you authored which as I had read and reviewed them made acquiring those coins all the more interesting and educational." ]

The 1850

• Options

@braddick said:
    If my interest ever slightly dwindles or wanes, all I do is re-open this thread- read a story or two- and I am right back in the game.

Agreed.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen that 1850 in a dealer's case at a Long Beach coin show about 15 years ago. I think the SEGS holder declares an issue or two with it; otherwise, yes- it is ultra brilliant and certainly looks to be a premium strike if not a trial piece.

peacockcoins

• Options

@BustDMs

Great story. Have a photo?

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs Fantastic story! I’d love to see it. I too own an 1812 half, but clearly not nearly as special as that. Congratulations!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, I traveled to a big show in Atlanta.

Wad of cash coin greenhorn.

Looked to cherrypick something. It was slow and a major Buff dealer was kind enough to show me some coins.

This one was slabbed MS64 and looked like the "Five Cents" was doubled.

I kinda did a double take of my own.... coin was about $120.

Said to myself... nah... PCGS would not have missed it and certainly not the expert.

Did not purchase.

Haunted me for years, because my biggest picks have been unattributed varieties in TPG holders.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

My current favorite story is the good results I received on my first submission of coins to PCGS. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file