Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1836 year set, slow going

panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fell in love with the half dime in this set and bought it. Then decided to put together a circulated set. Been a couple of years, but progress has been made. I have yet to find a good quarter, so I found a stand in I liked and it will do for the time being. Thanks to Blue CC for the pics

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking year set.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I guess by saying "circulation" set rather than circulated you can get out of buying the half cent and Gobrecht dollar. The gold isn't horribly expensive, though, so do you have plans to add it once you've found a quarter that speaks to you?

• Options

@messydesk said:
    Nice. I guess by saying "circulation" set rather than circulated you can get out of buying the half cent and Gobrecht dollar. The gold isn't horribly expensive, though, so do you have plans to add it once you've found a quarter that speaks to you?

Yes, it looks like it will be expensive in AU with some color, but I will buy one that looks right

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

That 36 Gobrecht is gonna cost yah

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking set!

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins! Congratulations.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That set is coming along nicely... The coins look good together. Good luck with the project. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set!

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins, excellent taste!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking set. Each coin is a “wow” coin in its own way. I especially like the dime. I come across toned half dimes with some frequency; but never see nicely toned dimes like that one.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely gorgeous! And they’re 100% CAC! Thumbs up!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive ... patience is a virtue ... keep a keen eye

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you decide to expand your year set to include the gold, believe it or not, the 1836 quarter eagle and half eagle are among the most common dates in the Classic Head design series. After years of negotiations, the French agreed to compensate The United States for the damage it had done to American shipping during the Napoleonic Wars (1803 to 1815). The payments in gold were made in six installments.

The 1836 Quarter Eagle, with the Script 8, is the most common Classic Head $2.50. The Block 8 variety is a little scarcer, but commands no premium. This is the Script 8 variety.

The 1836 Half Eagle is the second most common date in the series behind the 1834.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    If you decide to expand your year set to include the gold, believe it or not, the 1836 quarter eagle and half eagle are among the most common dates in the Classic Head design series. After years of negotiations, the French agreed to compensate The United States for the damage it had done to American shipping during the Napoleonic Wars (1803 to 1815). The payments in gold were made in six installments.

The 1836 Quarter Eagle, with the Script 8, is the most common Classic Head $2.50. The Block 8 variety is a little scarcer, but commands no premium. This is the Script 8 variety.

The 1836 Half Eagle is the second most common date in the series behind the 1834.

I do plan on adding the gold. No Gobrecht and no 1/2. The ironic thing is that when I started this about 5 years ago there were several nice AU examples of both gold pieces, but I was focused on the silver so I passed. Now all I see are MS or XF range. I will be patient and wait for a couple of somewhat crusty examples in AU.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2021 11:13AM

I am not a huge fan of "crusty gold." Too many of those coins have been messed with, often with stuff like iodine. I don't care for brown colored gold coins at all. I also don't like blue gold coins.

A choice AU gold coin should look a lot like a Mint State coin. It is much better if it has its original skin, and you will learn what that looks like. Both of the gold coins I posted above are original coins. The quarter eagle is graded MS-62 and the half eagle is an MS-61. The half eagle is somewhat of a slider, but it's very close to P-L with a very sharp strike.

If the 1836 half could have avoided the tiny rub it has in the fields, it would have been a "wonder coin."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like mint/year sets, and you've got a nice one going. Collecting this way makes completing early sets a reasonable goal so long as you pick the year carefully. Will look forward to seeing the gold additions to your set.

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I am not a huge fan of "crusty gold." Too many of those coins have been messed with, often with stuff like iodine. I don't care for brown colored gold coins at all. I also don't like blue gold coins.

A choice AU gold coin should look a lot like a Mint State coin. It is much better if it has its original skin, and you will learn what that looks like. Both of the gold coins I posted above are original coins. The quarter eagle is graded MS-62 and the half eagle is an MS-61. The half eagle is somewhat of a slider, but it's very close to P-L with a very sharp strike.

If the 1836 half could have avoided the tiny rub it has in the fields, it would have been a "wonder coin."

Very interesting comments about crusty gold. I've been burned a couple of times on early gold coins, so am still on a painful stretch of the learning curve. I assume your comments don't apply to the copper spots that often appear on gold coins.

• Options

I don’t mind copper spots if they are light and blend in with the rest of coin. I really like gold coins with rich coppery toning. Dark blotchy copper spots are something I avoid.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2021 12:49PM

Un-overcrusted natural old stuff always gets me over-excited.

@UltraHighRelief et pere will be salivating.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file