Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, what’s the serial type number etched onto the bottom of slabs mean?

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just noticed this morning on a couple of new PCGS slabbed coins that I just purchased that there is a number etched onto the bottom of the slabs. It’s hard to see it unless you angle it in the light just right. Anybody know what the numbers mean?

Mr_Spud

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a layer of verification for slab authenticity.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen that yet.... Can you post a picture? And does the number change on each slab? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have not seen that yet.... Can you post a picture? And does the number change on each slab? Cheers, RickO

Ricko, here is one of mine from a 2001 P Kennedy. It reads: JTHWYBK.

I do not know if the code changes on each slab or not but I think that it does.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Ok, I’ll post a picture of some of the numbers tonight. I only noticed them because I had brought home a UV flashlight that filters out everything except 365nm wavelength for maximum fluorescence to see if the gasket glows funny after reading a post about the gaskets. The gasket didn’t glow very much, but the numbers on the bottom of the slab glowed like crazy. I then looked at the slabs under normal light and you can see the numbers etched on them, but only very faintly and only if angled just right.

Mr_Spud

• Options

WAYNEAS picture shows what I’m talking about. I never noticed them before I saw them the other day with the UV light

Mr_Spud

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@ricko said:

The only way I can think of us knowing if these edge letterings are unique or not is to find a "bulk" dealer who has consecutive certification numbers and have them look at the slab edge letters.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed these a couple months back. A forum search showed a post about these and no one really having an answer. They have been there for a while now.

• Options

I thought they were all different, but apparently not. Maybe they are per batch?

• Options

@asheland said:
    I thought they were all different, but apparently not. Maybe they are per batch?

Thanks for the update. Are the certification numbers on the labels consecutive or in the general area of being so?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@asheland said:

Thanks for the update. Are the certification numbers on the labels consecutive or in the general area of being so?
    Wayne

They are actually!

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2021 8:45AM

@asheland said:

Bingo and thanks once again.
    Wayne
    Edited to add: these letters are slab lot numbers!

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a bulk dealer and recently got back a bulk order. I’ll check when I get home and report back :)

• Options

Or maybe I won’t... our host might not want this widely publicized. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

The search function on this forum really sucks. Here is a previous thread. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009420/interesting-alpha-code-on-slab-edge

• Options

I think WAYNEAS is probably right, they are probably the empty slab lot numbers

Mr_Spud

• Options

Well looks like all letters... and some are the same.... might be lot processing identification. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    Or maybe I won’t... our host might not want this widely publicized. 🤷‍♂️

I doubt they’d care. I’m interested now. lol :D

• Options

I keep calling them numbers, but they are letters. I’m still thinking slab lot numbers even after reading the other thread. I’m going to still take a picture tonight of them under my 365nm UV light, just to show everybody how the letters light up so much.

Mr_Spud

• Options

I’ve seen them under a black light. It’s cool looking. 👍

• Options

Every coin in my bulk order has the same letter code. Lot # for the slab batches makes sense.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a thread I started on this topic a couple of years ago.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009420/interesting-alpha-code-on-slab-edge#latest

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

@asheland said:

On an unrelated note: Owning these two coins, what is the distinction between them? In other words, why is one a point higher than the other?

peacockcoins

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2021 2:00PM

peacockcoins

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

This is an interesting discovery- I will check my PCGS slabs too- someone representing PCGS on this forum will hopefully shed some light on the question.... :)

• Options

The question of what these letters mean has been going on for several years here on the forum. To date, I have not seen a conclusive answer. Lots of ideas though... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Here’s what they look like with the UV light

Mr_Spud

• Options

I’m still thinking they are the empty slab lot number codes. At first I thought they had been applied after the coin was slabbed and the slab was sealed because I thought the slab was 2 symmetric halves sealed down the middle, but I found this graphic when I googled PCGS slab that shows the bottom of the slab doesn’t have a seam and it’s not 2 symmetric halves. So the lot number is probably on the empty slab before the coin is inserted

Mr_Spud

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never noticed them before. :(

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great! Another "missing edge lettering" hunt.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file