Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone explain to me how this is not staged?

This video claims that this 1917 quarter is worth $1000? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrqXUDDHiFo&t=153s
Because the price guide only lists $1000 at MS64/65 and that ain't it. I would be surprised if it graded as a MS coin at all.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2021 10:49AM

at around 3:04 it seems to have a lot of luster but from the video it is tough to know one way or the other. i watched this one a couple weeks ago and for sure isn't the standard interaction for the show. also, if a professional from pcgs, ngc, anacs, icg, segs etc says an item is unc, ( i don't recall if he actually says that) then odds are pretty high it is. i also bet from a T.V. that is a rather lovely coin with some possible light rainbow toning obv/rev.

your question, how it is not staged. this has been discussed at length here and it is a tv show, obviously there is some scripting and editing. to just film people off the street in such an environment simply cannot work. i've been in too many shops and at too many shows to know that much. collectables/lack of knowledge/money/emotions is a total recipe for disaster and is a train only but the most seasoned and patient dealers can keep from going off the rails. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, all of these reality shows are staged, of course, but it looks like a pretty nice coin from the video.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our own @ThePennyLady, Charmy, went on this same show and sold something non-coin related. Maybe she'll stop by and share her experience.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    at around 3:04 it seems to have a lot of luster but from the video it is tough to know one way or the other. i watched this one a couple weeks ago and for sure isn't the standard interaction for the show. also, if a professional from pcgs, ngc, anacs, icg, segs etc says an item is unc, ( i don't recall if he actually says that) then odds are pretty high it is. i also bet from a T.V. that is a rather lovely coin with some possible light rainbow toning obv/rev.

your question, how it is not staged. this has been discussed at length here and it is a tv show, obviously there is some scripting and editing. to just film people off the street in such an environment simply cannot work. i've been in too many shops and at too many shows to know that much. collectables/lack of knowledge/money/emotions is a total recipe for disaster and is a train only but the most seasoned and patient dealers can keep from going off the rails. :)

It does look like a great coin. It just doesn't seem like a $1000 coin. And I am not sure about you, but if I thought a coin was a $1000 coin, i would not set it down on the velvet because it may cause minor hairlines, or use my bare hands, I would use gloves.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

It does look like a great coin. It just doesn't seem like a $1000 coin. And I am not sure about you, but if I thought a coin was a $1000 coin, i would not set it down on the velvet because it may cause minor hairlines, or use my bare hands, I would use gloves.

If the coin is overpriced, it's probably not the only one on the planet. ;)

And most numismatists have no problem setting far more valuable coins down on velvet (without sliding them) and handling coins without gloves.

Yea. Well I guess I'm extra careful. And idk why he overpaid for it. Coin shops/pawn shops pay less than retail... I guess he just overpaid and got burned again.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

I'm trying to think of a time when I remember a professional using gloves, and I can't come up with one. If you know how to hold a coin, you're more likely to cause damage by dropping it because you don't have a good a grip with gloves than you are to do any damage directly with your fingers. When I was last at the Smithsonian they asked me to wear gloves when I was handling large gold bars (which don't have small edges the way coins do) and that was fine (used latex), but otherwise, I only handle coins with my bare hands. If you don't slide a coin on velvet, you aren't going to damage it.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stars who make out on this show in terms of profits are the core group like Rick, at tens of thousands per episode. An MS66 FH is under $1K on GS, so not sure how the pricing by the NGC guy is accurate unless it was an old episode. And no pawn shop pays that kind of money for a raw coin like this.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2021 2:35PM

It's Reality T.V. Get a grip. I have a good friend who lives in Taos, New Mexico who was on a show like that. She was picked-up by a limo at the airport in New York. The first thing the driver did was to hand her a list of the questions she would be asked on the show.......WITH THE ANSWERS!!!!!! She had a great time. The whole thing was FAKE! It was the Jerry Springer Show.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show Biz.

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭

The guy selling the coin has also been on other episodes

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options

@lsica said:
    The guy selling the coin has also been on other episodes

From what I read in the comments, his "grandad" died at least 6 times so far.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady said:
    Yes I was on Pawn Stars a few years ago and some of the show is staged. For instance, the tidbits of knowledge that the Pawn Star guy imparts during the episode is researched and fed to them by the producers, and the people walking around in the background are actually extras since they clear out the store whenever they do filming.

However, the actual negotiations between me and the Pawn Star personality (in my case it was Corey) was real including the sale of my item, which was a WWII aerial bomber camera with original film inside.

Here's the clip to my episode: https://youtu.be/uRst1TqM8Qw

Unfortunately, the video has been removed from YouTube.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@ThePennyLady said:
    Yes I was on Pawn Stars a few years ago and some of the show is staged. For instance, the tidbits of knowledge that the Pawn Star guy imparts during the episode is researched and fed to them by the producers, and the people walking around in the background are actually extras since they clear out the store whenever they do filming.

However, the actual negotiations between me and the Pawn Star personality (in my case it was Corey) was real including the sale of my item, which was a WWII aerial bomber camera with original film inside.

When I click on the link, the video is still there.

It's also on my website towards the bottom of this page:
    https://thepennylady.com/the-penny-lady-story/

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady said:

@MWallace said:

Video unavailable
    This video contains content from A+E Networks, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

perhaps you can still see it because it is your account.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@ThePennyLady said:

@MWallace said:

Video unavailable
    This video contains content from A+E Networks, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

perhaps you can still see it because it is your account.

vpn time ;)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ha. was fun to see the pic of charmy and corey!

tanks

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@DarkRage666 said:
    Here's some info

what do you mean by this?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that video was going to de-bunk these experts. It only verified the fact that they are, indeed experts.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkRage666 said:

@thebeav said:
    I thought that video was going to de-bunk these experts. It only verified the fact that they are, indeed experts.

I was mostly focused on the fact that some of these experts A. mess up from time to time or B. can have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

I guess it's always possible to mess up an appraisal. I've seen counterfeit and doctored coins in third party holders.
    As far as having no idea what they're talking about, i didn't see that at all......

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of their experts are real experts....I sold a rare certified counterfeit Colonial note on ebay to one of their experts, stupidly I did a no reserve auction which is guaranteed to be a low result for the seller.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

People who believe most of the stuff on reality TV also believe there will be an Oak Island treasure, and those guys in Alaska will strike it rich..... Of course it is staged... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@DarkRage666 said:

@ThePennyLady said:

@MWallace said:

@ThePennyLady said:

It's also on my website towards the bottom of this page:
    https://thepennylady.com/the-penny-lady-story/

Do you remember the name of the episode?

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps this will help - here's a link to the original thread about my episode on Pawn Stars:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/10500531#Comment_10500531

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2021 9:53AM

@BryceM said:
    Our own @ThePennyLady, Charmy, went on this same show and sold something non-coin related. Maybe she'll stop by and share her experience.

Didn't know that. Yep. I'd like her take on it too.

Pete

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Edited to add that I didn't see the above reply.

DUH

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file