Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Germans in America!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 11, 2021 9:04AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Germans were among the early settlers in Jamestown in 1608 and established their first settlement in Pennsylvania in 1683, but it wasn't always being easy being German-American in the US, especially after the start of WWI.

I actually started this thread just to celebrate the 1883 German-American Bi-Centennial for which I own several medals now, but in researching this, it turns out this was the first of many German-American Days which stopped in WWI and became a holiday under President Reagan. The history of how German-Americans were treated after WWI is intertwined in the history of the Bi-Centennial celebration on October 6, 1883 and important to remember.

The following is some information for Germans in America, including German-American Day which was celebrated annually from 1883 to WWI.

Don Heinrich Tolzmann wrote:
The Origins of German-American Day

On the 6th of October, thirteen German families led by Franz Daniel Pastorius came ashore in Philadelphia from their ocean voyage on the Concord and founded Germantown.

Although Germans first settled at Jamestown in 1608, it was not until 1683 that a permanent German settlement was established at Germantown.

Since then, the 6th of October has always held a special place in the annals of German-American history.

In 1876, the U.S. celebrated its Centennial and German-Americans got the idea of celebrating the 200th anniversary of the founding of Germantown, which then took place on the 6th of October in 1883.

In the following years, this celebration came to be known as German Day and was widely celebrated across the country until World War I.

Ref: https://donheinrichtolzmann.net/germanamericanday.html

Some more information:

GERMANS IN AMERICA

October 6 is German-American Day. Just as Irish-Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day and invite everybody to participate in the celebration, on German-American Day Americans of German descent invite everyone to celebrate with them.

In the late 19th and early 20th century, communities with a sizable German-speaking element would celebrate in grand style the day of the German-Americans. In Indiana, it was a real Community-Fest with Indiana governors and Vice President Fairbanks (1899) as speakers. In Evansville, the grand German Day celebration in 1911 lasted for one week (September 24-30).

After the United States entered WW I against Germany in 1917, anti-German hysteria swept through the country. Many states passed legislation banning German in schools, religious services, newspapers and associations. Even in regions predominantly settled by German-speaking immigrants, cultural tolerance turned to Germanophobia, followed by abrupt abandonment of German-language programs in schools and colleges, churches, and associations.

Individual German settlers are documented already in Jamestown, Virginia (1608), the "birthplace" of America. However, it was on October 6, 1683, when a group of Mennonites from Krefeld disembarked from the "Concord" (the German Mayflower) in Philadelphia, constituting the first group immigration of Germans to America. Over 7 million would follow them over the next 300 years making German-Americans the largest ethnic group in the United States. In the 1990 Census 1 out of 4 Americans reported German ancestry.

Ref: https://www.mrshea.com/germusa/usafrg.htm

Here are some interesting links I ran across researching this.

Here are some of my medals from the very first German-American Day in 1883. The right-most piece is a So-Called Dollar showing Columbia and Germania. The white metal SCHD is ex. Tim Gabriele. The white metal SCD is ex. Alex A. Pancheco.

This one is the size of a gold dollar showing Germania with the 3-leaf clover and seal of Pennsylvania. It is also from my collection.

Here are some ribbons from LibraryCompany.org

Here's a list of Germans immigrants that participated our hobby:

1. Adam Pietz - Assistant Chief Engraver US Mint Philadelphia - born Offenbach
  2. Anthony Conrad Paquet - Assistant Engraver of US Mint Philadelphia - born in Hamburg
  3. Felix Oscar Schlag - designer of Jefferson nickel - born in Frankfurt

Comments

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 10:50AM

It got to the point that US Mint engraver Adam Pietz had to issue a Good Luck token proclaiming his allegiance to the United States to everyone that asked. This is in addition to not only purchasing Liberty Bond and War Savings Stamps subscriptions, but having his purchased published.

The Numismatist - October 1918

The following are also from my collection:

Adam Pietz Loyalty Dollar - HK-895 - NGC MS64 POP 1/3/0

Adam Pietz Loyalty Dollar - HK-895 - Unlisted in Lead - Ex. Steve Hayden (inv)

More information on these here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1017150/advanced-adam-pietz-so-called-dollar-collection-sold

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 6:08AM

One thing I love about So-Called Dollars is that they let us delve into the history of our country.

I never set out to build a German-American collection, but it happened and it's nice to put these pieces together to understand our past.

This collection started with:

1. Adam Pietz Dollar in Lead - I got this simply because I collect So-Called Dollars and die trials.
    2. Adam Pietz Dollar in Bronze - then I got the matching bronze piece because I wanted a pair.
    3. No Room for Hyphens Dollar in Silver - I picked this up from @keets because I'm an avid collector of the Confederation die and have since become a Thomas Elder collector
    4. 1883 German-American Bi-Centennial 13mm medalette - I got this because I collect George Soley pieces of the same size
    5. 1883 German-American Bi-Centennial So-Called Half Dollar in Bronze - this looked to be a nice condition piece in an auction and I had previously saw this design posted by @keets in response to a thread of mine
    6. 1883 German-American Bi-Centennial So-Called Half Dollar in White Metal - got it to go with the bronze
    7. 1883 German-American Bi-Centennial So-Called Dollar - I first saw this in bronze posted by keets before I picked up the 13mm piece. The one posted by keets had a gash in the cheek which both of us passed on. This piece was a bit pricey but I wanted to cap off my 1883 German-American Bi-Centennial collection at this point.

Only when I put together this thread on the 1883 German-American Bi-Centennial pieces did I read about German-American Day and the WWI events, and realized I had So-Called Dollars for that era as well to tell a fuller story.

• Options

BTW, there were a lot of German merchants in the US in the 1800s. One thing that is fascinating is Spiel Marke tokens.

Here are two of mine from Ludwig Christian Lauer of Nuremberg that were imported to the US:

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

but it wasn't always being easy being German-American in the US, especially after the start of WWI.

I've read about the treatment of the Japanese during and after WWII but never really heard about the Germans and WW1. Was it much the same ?

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 9:47AM

@Tom147 said:

@Zoins said:

but it wasn't always being easy being German-American in the US, especially after the start of WWI.

I've read about the treatment of the Japanese during and after WWII but never really heard about the Germans and WW1. Was it much the same ?

Over time, and even now, it's not easy being from many countries in the US.

I haven't heard of German internment camps, but to have to stop speaking German is pretty strong. The following is from an excerpt above:

After the United States entered WW I against Germany in 1917, anti-German hysteria swept through the country. Many states passed legislation banning German in schools, religious services, newspapers and associations. Even in regions predominantly settled by German-speaking immigrants, cultural tolerance turned to Germanophobia, followed by abrupt abandonment of German-language programs in schools and colleges, churches, and associations.

The Japanese internment camps were serious and more so than not being able to speak your native language. That being said, I haven't heard of Japanese being massacred which the Chinese had to endure, in addition to the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Rock Springs massacre of 1885

The Rock Springs massacre, also known as the Rock Springs Riot, occurred on September 2, 1885, in the present-day United States city of Rock Springs in Sweetwater County, Wyoming. The riot, and resulting massacre of immigrant Chinese miners by white immigrant miners, was the result of racial prejudice toward the Chinese miners, who were perceived to be taking jobs from the white miners. The Union Pacific Coal Department found it economically beneficial to give preference in hiring to Chinese miners, who were willing to work for lower wages than their white counterparts, angering the white miners. When the rioting ended, at least 28 Chinese miners were dead and 15 were injured. Rioters burned 78 Chinese homes, resulting in approximately US$150,000 in property damage[1][2][3] ($4.27 million in present-day terms[4]).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Springs_massacre

Hells Canyon massacre of 1887:

The brutality of the Snake River atrocity was probably unexcelled, whether by whites or Indians, in all the anti-Chinese violence of the American West. After the first day's onslaught at Robinson Gulch, the killers wrecked and burned the camp and then threw the mutilated corpses into the Snake River. The bodies of the other Chinese received similar treatment. Since it was the high-water stage of the spring runoff, the dead Chinese were found for months (some accounts say for years) afterwards along the lower river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hells_Canyon_massacre

Of course, this is just for immigrants which needs to be put in context when compared to treatment of Native Americans.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know this. Thank you sir for the history lesson. Now I'll have to do a little research. Learning every day here on the Forum.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:

@Zoins said:

It was horrible. My grandpa Fritz told me all about it. For starters, people began calling Frankfurters.... Hot Dogs! The inhumanity of it all!!!!!

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    You should stop with these alarmist thread titles! I was about to go grab my shotgun. :o

Lots of interesting background here, and that "hyphenated" medal is priceless. It puts a valuable perspective on things. I won't say much more because this thread could easily veer off course and over a cliff.

The WWI "purge" might help explain why there aren't more German restaurants in the US. I'd be happy if there was a Bavatian beer hall on every corner. :)

There were some towns in the Midwest where German was taught in schools alongside English, and the local newspapers were published in German. Pershing Avenue in Indianapolis was Bismarck Avenue before 1917. If it hadn't been for WW1, maybe the US would be German/English bilingual today the same way Canada is English/French bilingual.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 11:36AM

@Tom147 said:

@Zoins said:

The German situation is interesting. A lot of interesting history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_German_Americans

Germans were interned in WWI and WWII but to a much smaller extent than the Japanese in WWII. This is because Germans could become naturalized US citizens and many had done so and become influential in the US. The Japanese were easier to intern because they could not become US Citizens until 1952 legally and essentially 1965 due to immigration laws. Italians were also interned. Of note, while Japanese and Italians have received an official apology, Germans have not yet.

It was only in 1952 that the Senate and House voted the McCarran-Walter Act which allowed Japanese immigrants to become naturalized U.S. citizens. But significant Japanese immigration did not occur again until the Immigration Act of 1965 which ended 40 years of bans against immigration from Japan and other countries.

German Internment in World War I

President Woodrow Wilson issued two sets of regulations on April 6, 1917, and November 16, 1917, imposing restrictions on German-born male residents of the United States over the age of 14. The rules were written to include natives of Germany who had become citizens of countries other than the U.S.; all were classified as aliens.[4] Some 250,000 people in that category were required to register at their local post office, to carry their registration card at all times, and to report any change of address or employment. The same regulations and registration requirements were imposed on females on April 18, 1918.[5] Some 6,300 such aliens were arrested. Thousands were interrogated and investigated. A total of 2,048 (0.8%) were incarcerated for the remainder of the war in two camps, Fort Douglas, Utah, for those west of the Mississippi, and Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, for those east of the Mississippi.[6]

German Interment in World War II

In the 1940 US census, some 1,237,000 persons identified as being of German birth; 5 million persons had both parents born in Germany; and 6 million persons had at least one parent born in Germany.[25] German immigrants had not been prohibited from becoming naturalized United States citizens and many did so. The large number of German Americans of recent connection to Germany, and their resulting political and economical influence, have been considered the reason they were spared large-scale relocation and internment.
    [...]
    A total of 11,507 people of German ancestry were interned during the war, comprising 36.1% of the total internments under the US Justice Department's Enemy Alien Control Program.[29] By contrast, an estimated 110,000–120,000 Japanese-Americans were forcibly relocated from the West Coast and incarcerated in internment camps run by the US War Department's War Relocation Authority.[29]

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Atcarroll said:

@JBK said:
    You should stop with these alarmist thread titles! I was about to go grab my shotgun. :o

Lots of interesting background here, and that "hyphenated" medal is priceless. It puts a valuable perspective on things. I won't say much more because this thread could easily veer off course and over a cliff.

The WWI "purge" might help explain why there aren't more German restaurants in the US. I'd be happy if there was a Bavatian beer hall on every corner. :)

There were some towns in the Midwest where German was taught in schools alongside English, and the local newspapers were published in German. Pershing Avenue in Indianapolis was Bismarck Avenue before 1917. If it hadn't been for WW1, maybe the US would be German/English bilingual today the same way Canada is English/French bilingual.

Well, WWII might have had an impact also. ;) But otherwise a good point.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting stuff.

This "German in America," as a youth or young man arrived in the late 1800s spending time in New York before heading to St. Louis and then on to Nevada where he built the largest log house in the state that was in recent years moved to Elko where it houses the Chamber of Commerce and is part of a recreated pioneer village sourced from other buildings he built and were also moved there.

Pictured the house he built and a photo that was taken of my great grandfather on one of his return visits to St. Louis.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 11:58AM

@JBK said:
    Lots of interesting background here, and that "hyphenated" medal is priceless. It puts a valuable perspective on things.

It's a great So-Called Dollar and a sign of the times. I like how "raw" it is compared to how we might read about history today.

I was also the underbidder on this raw cardboard specimen a while back. Can't win them all!

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 12:08PM

@1northcoin said:
    Interesting stuff.

This "German in America," as a youth or young man arrived in the late 1800s spending time in New York before heading to St. Louis and then on to Nevada where he built the largest log house in the state that was in recent years moved to Elko where it houses the Chamber of Commerce and is part of a recreated pioneer village sourced from other buildings he built and were also moved there.

Pictured the house he built and a photo that was taken of my great grandfather on one of his return visits to St. Louis.

Awesome information! I saw that before but never knew he was from Germany. Glad he was a part of that and you have the history.

It's neat now we can see history through many different lenses. Germans did a lot to build the US and it's interesting to see all the merchant store cards from Germans in the 1800s.

This topic is also interesting to me as I have relatives that are both German-American and German.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2021 4:59PM

d

• Options

Great book @Exbrit! Is that yours?

Here's some info on Germantown:

Germantown (Pennsylvania German: Deitscheschteddel) is an area in Northwest Philadelphia. Founded by German, Quaker, and Mennonite families in 1683 as an independent borough, it was absorbed into Philadelphia in 1854. The area, which is about six miles northwest from the city center, now consists of two neighborhoods: 'Germantown' and 'East Germantown'.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germantown,_Philadelphia

Germantown Historical Society: https://www.germantownhistory.org/

Of note, Germantown Academy was founded in 1759, before the Revolution!

https://www.germantownacademy.net/about/history-traditions

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Germantown (Pennsylvania German: Deitscheschteddel) is an area in Northwest Philadelphia. Founded by German, Quaker, and Mennonite families in 1683 as an independent borough, it was absorbed into Philadelphia in 1854. The area, which is about six miles northwest from the city center, now consists of two neighborhoods: 'Germantown' and 'East Germantown'.

Yes it is - I've owned it for many years.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 2:28PM

Here's some info on Germantown Academy which still bares shot marks from the British during the Revolutionary War:

The bell was cast in England and brought over on the tea ship "Polly" in 1774. Because of the unrest in Philadelphia at that time, the "Polly" turned around and, with cargo intact, headed back to England. It was not until 1784 that the bell was returned and placed in the bell tower. The weather vane, with its crown of England and copper ball, attests to its presence during the War for Independence by the scars it bears from musket balls fired by British soldiers. They had occupied the area and used the school building as a hospital for a brief time during the Battle of Germantown. The troops of General Howe's Third Brigade used the playing fields for the first cricket match played in America.

Ref: https://www.germantownacademy.net/about/history-traditions

And some info on the Battle of Germantown which saw Washington defeated by William Howe.

The Battle of Germantown was a major engagement in the Philadelphia campaign of the American Revolutionary War. It was fought on October 4, 1777, at Germantown, Pennsylvania, between the British Army led by Sir William Howe, and the American Continental Army, with the 2nd Canadian Regiment, under George Washington.
    [...]
    Despite the defeat, France, already impressed by the American success at Saratoga, decided to lend greater aid to the Americans. Howe did not vigorously pursue the defeated Americans, instead turning his attention to clearing the Delaware River of obstacles at Red Bank and Fort Mifflin. After unsuccessfully attempting to draw Washington into combat at White Marsh, Howe withdrew to Philadelphia. Washington, his army intact, withdrew to Valley Forge, where he wintered and re-trained his forces.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Germantown

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@Zoins said:

Yes it is - I've owned it for many years.

Nice. This is on Google Books along with some others:

The Guide Book to Historic Germantown by Charles Francis Jenkins - 1902

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Guide_Book_to_Historic_Germantown/1iA9AAAAYAAJ

Historic Germantown by David Spencer - 1908

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Historic_Germantown/utkwAQAAMAAJ

Historic Germantown: From the Founding to the Early Part of the Nineteenth Century; a Survey of the German Township by Harry Marlin Tinkcom, Margaret B. Tinkcom, Grant Miles Simon - 1955

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Historic_Germantown/jtsLAAAAYAAJ

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting part of our history. I had German friends growing up...but they relocated here after WWII...and their parents spoke mostly German....They learned English in school and the playground. There is also a Germantown not far from here in NYS... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins nice collection, I've got a really nice bronze Pietz medal of himself that records show he used as a gift. He had a machine shop in downtown Philadelphia on either Chestnut or Walnut. He also used his wife as a model, if my memory is correct. Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 3:31PM

@Namvet69 said:
    @Zoins nice collection, I've got a really nice bronze Pietz medal of himself that records show he used as a gift. He had a machine shop in downtown Philadelphia on either Chestnut or Walnut. He also used his wife as a model, if my memory is correct. Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

Adam Pietz sounds like a family man. Not only was he assistant chief engraver at the Philadelphia Mint from 1927 to 1946, he did medals of his family members, even with their names on it. I really haven't seen this from other engravers which I find curious. I wonder if the families of many engravers like having their sculptures done or not, kind of like having family photos taken?

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 9:12PM

@1northcoin said:
    Interesting stuff.

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:
    Interesting stuff.

Awesome information! I saw that before but never knew he was from Germany. Glad he was a part of that and you have the history.

It's neat now we can see history through many different lenses. Germans did a lot to build the US and it's interesting to see all the merchant store cards from Germans in the 1800s.

This topic is also interesting to me as I have relatives that are both German-American and German.

Thanks.

I can add that my own father was born in that log house. Not long thereafter his parents established their own place and built up a ranch at the foothills of The Ruby Mountains at a location known as Fort Halleck. As kids when visiting "The Ranch" we would search for relics from the abandoned fort that had been built in 1867. Reportedly it was also the site of a Pony Express Station. I still have a handful of square nails.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2021 9:59PM

Images from the 1883 German-American Bi-Centennial from the article The Immigrants: Jacob and Anna Elisabethe Weber of Ulster County, NY and Berks County, PA by Barbara (Boring) Bauer.

So-Called Dollars are often tied to events, so it's good to see images from the event!

https://www.minerd.com/memoir-bauerbarbara2.htm

It's on the Minerd website which bills itself as:

Germantown, Pennsylvania

Newark, New Jersey

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that the Swiss are not the same as the Germans, but this is in the German language - from the Second Swiss-American Festival 1873, New York.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2021 3:47AM

German-American Day wasn't celebrated after WWI until President Regan declared it a holiday in 1983. It became Public Law 100-104 in 1987. Here's Regan signing the law and his comments on signing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFO9azSZntk

• Options

@1northcoin said:

@1northcoin said:
    Interesting stuff.

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:
    Interesting stuff.

Thanks.

I can add that my own father was born in that log house. Not long thereafter his parents established their own place and built up a ranch at the foothills of The Ruby Mountains at a location known as Fort Halleck. As kids when visiting "The Ranch" we would search for relics from the abandoned fort that had been built in 1867. Reportedly it was also the site of a Pony Express Station. I still have a handful of square nails.

Just came across this added photo of Nevada's largest log house. I took this photo in more recent years when it was still located in Sherman, Nevada before being moved to Elko where it now houses the Elko Chamber of Commerce on Idaho Street.

• Options

@1northcoin said:

@1northcoin said:

@1northcoin said:
    Interesting stuff.

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:
    Interesting stuff.

Thanks.

Just came across this added photo of Nevada's largest log house. I took this photo in more recent years when it was still located in Sherman, Nevada before being moved to Elko where it now houses the Elko Chamber of Commerce on Idaho Street.

Great photo! It's nice to see it without the big sign and parking lot in front of it today.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2021 8:57AM

Felix Oscar Schlag (September 4, 1891 – March 9, 1974) was born in Frankfurt, Germany, served in the German Army in WWI and followed that up with studying sculpture at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich. He emigrated to the US and became a naturalized citizen in 1938, the same year that his design was selected for the nickel.

It must have been interesting to fight for Germany in WWI but then not only be on the other side for WWII, but see his nickels made into "war nickels" to drive the effort.

Here's an interesting book cover form Alchetron:

References:

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of history here and thanks @Zoins for providing and starting this thread. :)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    Lots of history here and thanks @Zoins for providing and starting this thread. :)
    Wayne

Appreciate the updates as well.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 2:13PM

A great German-American from a numismatic perspective is Chris Bechtler! He immigrated to the US from Germany in 1829, settled in Philadelphia and then moved to North Carolina in 1830.

Is there any material of his surviving from Philadelphia?

Wikipedia says he was able to "obtain a large fortune". The sign for his mint says he minted $2.25 million in gold. That's a lot of coins! Is there any information on how much money he made?

Are any of his descendants known today?

Wikipedia wrote:
    Christopher (alias Christian) Bechtler (1782–1843) was a German-born American goldsmith and watchmaker. He produced defined gold dollars known as Bechtler Dollars, in the early 1830s and by 1840, before the US government itself started to produce gold dollars in 1849.[1] The site of his mint is designated the Bechtler Mint Site Historic Park in North Carolina.[2]

Bechtler was born in Pforzheim, Margraviate of Baden. In 1767 Charles Frederick, Grand Duke of Baden, allowed watch manufacturing in Pforzheim and started a technical school. The latter gave ground to further educational institutions and is now the Goldschmiedeschule mit Uhrmacherschule Pforzheim (Jewelers and Watchmakers School of Pforzheim); Bechtler was trained there. Around 1820, Bechtler spotted small gold traces in Stubensand, an early household abrasive. In 1823 he requested a mining concession and tried placer mining for gold in the late triassic Stubensandstein around neighboring Sternenfels where the Stubensand was produced. The amount of gold found was not satisfactory, but Bechtler asked for a Ducal Badensian Patent for his gold washing machine in 1819.[3]

In 1829, Bechtler, his sons Augustus and Charles, and a nephew immigrated to the United States.[4] In 1830 he opened a watchmaker store in Philadelphia, the site of the first United States Mint. Drawn by one of the first gold rushes in the United States, Bechtler moved to North Carolina in 1830 and established a private mint.[4]

Bechtler died in Rutherfordton, North Carolina.

Bechtler and his successors' private mint in Rutherford County, North Carolina, was run from 1831 through the 1850s and produced more than a million gold coins in the period between 1831 and 1841. Bechtler's precision and the reliable gold content of his coins allowed him to prevail against other producers and to obtain a large fortune.[5]

Here are some photos from FindAGrave, some of which they seem to have gotten from the Blue Ridge Heritage Trail:

Here are some nice coins courtesy of PCGS:

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 5:26PM

@Zoins said:
    A great German-American from a numismatic perspective is Chris Bechtler! He immigrated to the US from Germany in 1829, settled in Philadelphia and then moved to North Carolina in 1830.
    Are any of his descendants known today?

In 1829, Bechtler, his sons Augustus and Charles, and a nephew immigrated to the United States.[4] In 1830 he opened a watchmaker store in Philadelphia, the site of the first United States Mint. Drawn by one of the first gold rushes in the United States, Bechtler moved to North Carolina in 1830 and established a private mint.[4]

Bechtler died in Rutherfordton, North Carolina.

Bechtler and his successors' private mint in Rutherford County, North Carolina, was run from 1831 through the 1850s and produced more than a million gold coins in the period between 1831 and 1841. Bechtler's precision and the reliable gold content of his coins allowed him to prevail against other producers and to obtain a large fortune.[5]

I looked on familysearch.org, where I found Christopher Bechtler and his son Sebastian Augustus Bechtler.
    There is an 1840 Census record for C Bechtler in North Carolina.
    And a burial record for Sebastian Augustus Bechtler in North Carolina (or maybe reburial in Rhode Island).

I am less sure about Carl / Charles Bechtler, because there is a conflict in the records.
    The 1884 newspaper article says Carl Bechtler committed suicide in North Carolina in around 1840,
    but the Charles Bechtler in the sources was living in North Carolina in 1850,
    and had several children after 1840, eventually passing away in 1878.
    It's possible the newspaper article was incorrect about his year of death.
    There is also a conflict on his birth year (1816 vs. 1808).

Christopher Bechtler had 3 wives:
    1. Sophia Dreher, probably died in childbirth in 1807, 1 year after they married.
    2. Augusta Dietz, had 8 children and died in 1819 (probably in childbirth)
    3. Wilhelmina Vierordt, had 1 child in 1826 (lived to 1828) and she died in 1832

If the Charles Bechtler linked here is really Christopher's son, then he probably has living descendants in the US.
    Christopher Bechtler might also have living descendants from his children Carolina and Elisabetha Augusta that did not leave Germany.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

When i was a kid i found over 500 4 leaf clover in the wild. I am still waiting for the luck to hit.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    When i was a kid i found over 500 4 leaf clover in the wild. I am still waiting for the luck to hit.

Wow! That's awesome!

Were they all in one field together?

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins mostly on my families property. I had them pressed in a book. Haven't seen them in 40 years.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

There is an excellent detailed biography of Christopher Bechtler, including production at his mint:
    https://www.immigrantentrepreneurship.org/entries/christopher-bechtler/
    It is cited from the wikipedia page, but has many more details.

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    There is an excellent detailed biography of Christopher Bechtler, including production at his mint:
    https://www.immigrantentrepreneurship.org/entries/christopher-bechtler/
    It is cited from the wikipedia page, but has many more details.

Very nice!

Here's the abstract:

Immigrant Entrepreneurship wrote:
    Jeweler, watchmaker, and gunsmith, Christopher Bechtler founded the most successful private mint in the eastern United States. During its peak production from 1831 to 1840, Bechtler’s North Carolina mint rivaled the output of the federal mints and was a significant stimulus to the economy of the state.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2021 5:07PM

[Right-click on this and choose "Open image in new tab" to view large/clear version]
    After reading the above biography and making some corrections to the trees, it appears that
    Christopher Bechtler and his two sons who assisted with his mint died in rapid succession in North Carolina:

• Carl Christoph Bechtler (younger son), died in October 1840 by suicide. He had married in 1839 and had a young daughter in the 1840 census
    • Christopher Bechtler (father / minter) died in December 1842
    • Sebastian Augustus Bechtler (older son) died in November 1843

All 3 persons came to America on the same ship in 1829.

The 4th person Carl Christ "Charles" Bechtler who lived until 1878 was Christopher's nephew. He was born around 1800,
    and came to the US at about the same time. He worked in the same town in North Carolina as a jeweler.

In 1884, the 3 Bechtlers were dug up by grandson Otto Lenz and reburied in Providence, Rhode Island in the Lenz plot.
    I found the Lenz connection.
    Christopher Bechtler's daughter Elisabetha Augusta Bechtler (b. 1814) married Carl August Lenz in Germany in 1836,
    but their sons Otto and Gustav came to America and lived in Providence, Rhode Island by 1880.
    The Lenz family appears to have living descendants in Rhode Island.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file